MRU Blaster released

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Paul Wilders, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninth

Ninth Guest

The IE plugin doesn't clean/purge the Temporary Internet files though it shows activity - hard disk noise for disk read/write :mad:
    After the so called "secure deletion" - the files are still there and I have to clean them
    with Spybot /the simple file delete in Explorer _is fake_ the deleted files disapear but remain hidden - here is where comes in Spybot/

Any comments?

Sincerely

N.

PS Please note that I've verified the directory the plugin claims to clean
    Another thing - Initially the prog. reduced index.dat to 16Kb now it keeps it on 32Kb so I doubt this feature is working properly

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That's a very strange problem, Ninth.

Would you mind checking what the "Detected Path" says on the IE Temporary Internet Files Cleaner setup page and posting it there? Is it the correct path to your Temporary Internet Files, or is it the general Temporary Internet Files folder?

Could you also please post more information about your computer - your version of Windows, etc. Thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. Ninth

Ninth Guest

MRU-blaster/ IE plugin path: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

After executing the prog. it deleted the files in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files \ContentIE5 (don't know why IE5 since IE6 SP1 installed and present - Re: Help/About internet explorer) and left a index.dat of 768 Kb in this directory, also cleaned the 4 sub-folders.
    The files in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files remained

I ran Spybot - it cleaned the files in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Now I'll restart the PC to see what happens with the index.dat file since MRU-blaster is set to run at system startup:
    HK_LM:RunOnce MRUBlaster   C:\MRU-Blaster\indexcleaner.exe -CC

The file size was reduced to 32Kb

If that's how MRU-blaster is supposed to work than everything is Okey ?

Here naturaly arise 2 Q.

1) As mentioned in my 1st posting: Initially the prog reuced index.dat to 16Kb, now it resizes it to 32Kb ?!?

2) If no prog. is installed the system reduces the dat.file to 64Kb (from previous observations) What actualy happens here is not clear for me,
    - could u please explain what purpose index.dat serves and why it should be cleaned at sys. startup (e.g. is data from it saved in another file on the PC, sent out, or just refreshed...)

Thanks,

Ninth

PS The OS is W2K

4. Assiste.com

Assiste.com Registered Member

5. bern

bern Guest

i installed and ran mru for the fist time and found 585 items . i use adware and spybot before i ran mru .

6. greenze

greenze Registered Member

7. Stuart B

Stuart B Guest

When will there be a new update for MRU Blaster?

8. Assiste.com

Assiste.com Registered Member

Hi
    For the binary ?
    When there will be a new technology for storing MRUs in the system.

For the database ?
    When there will be new MRUs identified in old programs or when there will be new programs on the market. Last update is 17 days ago. Too long for you ? :D

9. oonocando

oonocando Registered Member

I installed the MRU Blaster on my computer and it has performed as promised.I am the administrator of my computer with three other user accounts. Do i need to download the MRU Blaster onto each user account to be able to set up the MRU Blaster Schedular to load at startup on the three user accounts.
    I have two other programes fromjavacoolsoftware on my computer and i couldnt be happier. So any thoughts about how i can get optimal performance fromthe MRU Blaster would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

10. boyd

boyd Registered Member

MRU Blaster has absolutely no effect on MRUs created by my image viewer, JPEGGER. IMO this is the FIRST place the program should go to obliterate MRUs.

An image viewer itself, it would be nice, should have this feature.

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Nice app :D
    Also nice that its freeware :D

12. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Why 7 months since last releaseo_Oo_O

13. holly777

holly777 Guest

Time for an update I think!

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

15. megaman

megaman Guest

hey guys this is a great program cept for one problem, when i download it, it does no have an icon its just a blank white box, is this just my pc or does the program not have an icon. It works when i open it, but does not have an icon it would be great if i got a repsonse for this thanks

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It utilizes a Microsoft icon located inside the shell32.dll file....and should look like the below icon ?

Attached Files:

17. The Shadow

The Shadow Guest

Trying this again, after having done so, years ago.

It has improved, although it still misses a few files, such as VOB/IFO/MP4,
    which shows that it can use an update to allow custom file extension
    inclusions, along with a custom file deletion selection plugin, perhaps.

Sadly, as far as I can tell, the project appears to be somewhat moribund.

I guess nobody needs very much security, anymore. ;-)

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

19. mlurp

mlurp Registered Member

I have been using it daily for years. I would think it would need an update. But hey it's free and gets a lot of the MRU files. Daily anywhere from 30 to 115. I use it first then Window Washer and twice a week Dust Buster XP.

Then the Ad-Aware Plus and either A-Square Free or SUPER Anti Spyware.
    And runnin gin th eback ground Spyware Blaster paid for auto updates and Spyware Guard. That is a daily process. Then weekly Defrag. and XP error checker. Plus I use the paid AVG Internet Suite for antivirus/firewall. Hope I got it covered. lol

20. mlurp

mlurp Registered Member

Question, I just got Vista Home and am not sure if MRU Blaster is going to work on Vista. Anyone please give me more info, thanks...

I D/L it but will wait for for info B-4 installing it.

21. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

The current version of MRU-Blaster should work on Vista, but you may need to run it with admin privileges. Instructions follow:

1.) If you are running on an Administrator account in Vista, you can just right-click on the MRU-Blaster icon and select "Run as Administrator". This will clean your user-specific entries and the system-wide entries.

2.) If you are running on a "Standard" account in Vista, just double-click on the MRU-Blaster icon. This should be able to clear your user-specific entries, but will not be able to properly clear the system-wide entries (since the account lacks admin privileges). You will need to run MRU-Blaster elevated from an administrator account to clear the system-wide MRUs.

Also, the extra tools/plug-ins (IE Temporary Internet Files and Cookie cleaners) are not built for the changes in Vista, and so should be left disabled (the default).

Best regards,

-Javacool

22. mlurp

mlurp Registered Member

Thanks for the info.. have a good one.

23. murray654

murray654 Registered Member

Thanks, I needed a tool like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.