MRU blaster has stopped cleaning temporary Internet files only cookies??

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by keystagegolf, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keystagegolf

keystagegolf Registered Member

Hi, As of a couple of days my MRUblaster has stopped cleaning temporary internet files it only runs on cookies and then g¡ves me the "congratulatiions message". Even after I reboot the files are still there. I've been using it for the past 6 months without problem. Has there been any upgrades or changes? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    keystagegolf

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Presumably you are refering to the plug-in for removal of TIFs from IE?

Has the file path changed? You can see what path is being cleaned by going to the configuration section of the relevant plug-in.

I'm just guessing, but it is possible that if you have recently installed the new IE7 the TIF path may have changed. Perhaps you could check; at the moment I'm still running IE6 so I personally don't know whether there are problems with MRUBlaster and IE7.

3. keystagegolf

Thank you for your reply, Yes I have upgraded to IE7 and it's since then that I noticed the problem.
    Everything is checked except "customise notifications past items" and on the IE cleaner plug in "enable secure deletion of files" is checked, "Custom pass" is checked to 10 and "enable automatic IE temporary Internet delete" is also checked. Nothing was changed after the upgrade to IE7 except the function.
    Should I try to uninstall and re install?:(

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

When you go to MRUBlaster's settings section for the TIF plug-in, do you see the detected filepath displayed as in my screenshot?

If not then it is not detecting the TIF cache in IE7. A bit of Googling suggests to me that there have been some bugs as to the location of the TIF cache in IE7 which could explain the problem:-

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...d8efee1f1420&lang=en&cr=us&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

In the beta forums I saw it suggested that IE7 was storing TIFs at more than one location, which could also be the reason, but I'm afraid I can't check because I uninstalled IE7 after about 10 minutes use, because I hated it, and I'm back using IE6 for the moment until the dust settles!

Attached Files:

5. keystagegolf

Thank you again for replying. I have checked the detected file path and it shows the correct one, on each of three users on this computer. The owner position changes according to who is logged on and trying to use the MRU blaster.

6. keystagegolf

Hello again, I have also just downloaded the software again to update it and the problem remains the same. No deletion of temporary Internet files.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nothing basically has been changed concerning MRUblaster and IE7 and while this does not yet help your situation....I have confirmed IE and MRUblaster both see my TIF in the below location and after re-boot MRUblaster did clean the TIF.

C:\Documents and Settings\..~username~..\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Couple things to consider\check:

1) If you go to IE\Tools\Delete Browsing History\TIF....select Delete Files. If you then open Windows Explorer....are the files actually cleaned in the TIF Current location: ?

2) In regards to MRUblaster and TIF cleaning....it does this by placing a RunOnce entry into the LocalMachine portion of the registry which requires Admin priveligies.

Questions:

Do these users have Admin priveligies or do you use a registry monitoring program that might be blocking the below entry from being written to the registry ?

• HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
      "MRUBlaster"="D:\\Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -CACHE"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  8. keystagegolf

(1) I have confirmed that the Temporary Internet and cookies can be deleted through Internet options/browsing history. Also checked that they have actually been removed from the TIF folder.

(2) Both users have administration rights, but I am not sure how to check the registry for the MRU blaster.
    If I need to do something in the registry please walk me through it. Thanks.

The IE deletion of TIF's is working but the MRU blaster is not.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To look in the registry for that entry go to Start button\Run and type regedit in the Open: box and then select Ok. Once the Registry editor is open then click on the + sign next to the below keys until you get to the RunOnce key. When you click on that key you should then see what is being displayed in the above pic concerning X:\\Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -CACHE

+ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +CurrentVersion
    RunOnce

What did you do 6 months ago in April to fix the problem....if you did....before IE 7 came out :doubt:

Your older thread---> the MRU Blaster is not working!

10. keystagegolf

Attention BUBBA, Thank you for your walkthrough. I followed your instructions and the display at "runonce" is C;\Program Files\MRU Blaster\indexcleaner.exe COOKIES.
    Temporary Internet files does not show up anywhere!!

As far as the problem 6 months ago. I didn't do anything.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Well We then have to figure out what is preventing the Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -CACHE entry from being added to the registry. Unless that entry gets added their is no cleaning on re-boot :doubt:

Would you mind listing all of your Security\Privacy programs installed Please....especially any that might be blocking AutoStart registry entries.

Bubba

12. keystagegolf

I have just checked the registry again on the other user side and there is nothing about MRU blaster on the runonce position it reads REG_SZ (value not set)

Something very strange has happened now on the first user side(both have admin rights) the reading at runonce is also REG_SZ (value not set) the desciption about indexcleaner.exe COOKIES has disappeared!!

Please advise. Thank you.

13. keystagegolf

Here is a HIJACK this scan which should list all the security software on the computer. Hope this is what you want, There maybe stuff that I'm not aware of. If this is not useful please come back. Thanks.

~removed HJT log....Bubba~

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I have removed the HJT log because at this moment in time it's not something We need but if needed I will be asking for it as per our policy.

Some of the programs I see installed are AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, ZoneAlarm. Are there any others not listed that you have installed ?

What I would like for you to do is open MRUblaster and select Settings\Go to Plugins....open either the Cookie or TIF plugin and then select Save Settings + Run Now. Then follow the earlier posted instructions about going to the RunOnce registry location and according to which plugin you chose.....there should be an entry ?

Cookie....Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -COOKIES

TIF....Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -CACHE

If you selected both it should be....

Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -CC

15. keystagegolf

Can we continue tomorrow as It's 02.00 AM and I'm off to bed now. Thanks for your help so far. Best regards.

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Negative....We have to stay up all night :eek:

Have a good evening. We'll still be here anytime that you are able to come back.

Bubba

17. keystagegolf

Good afternoon BUBBA,

Here is a list of all that's on my computer:AdAware/CWshredder/Spybot search and distroy/AVG anti-virus & AVG anti-spyware/Spyware blaster/Spamihiliator(but its not running)/windowsDefender(also not running)/Zonealarm Firewall.

I did the test you set me as follows:Went to MRUblaster plug ins TIF and the registry showed \indexcleaner.exe-CC and the MRUBlaster did run to clean the TIF's and after a reboot the file was clean. Its appears to be OK now. STRANGE. That's what happened 6 months ago it corrected it's self.
    I'll watch it during the next few times I'm on and keep you posted.
    I really do appreciate how much time you give to helping people like me. Thanks.
    Please let me know if I should do anything else. :D

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You're very Welcome :thumb:

What I suggest you be watching for is one of your programs blocking\disabling the RunOnce entry. Take for instance "Spybot search and distroy" and it's TeaTimer feature. I noticed in your HJT log that is not running resident. If someone comes along and enables the TeaTimer feature....make sure it does not attempt to block RunOnce entry addition or already have a RunOnce blocked attempt saved.

Regards,
    Bubba

19. keystagegolf

Good afternoon BUBBA,
    Unfortunately the problem is still with me but I have some more data which perhaps you can review.

The MRU Blaster operation is changing the registry from one user to another. By that I mean that following your instruction, SETTINGS/PLUGINS/SAVE SETTINS AND RUN. on one of the user sides the registry shows: indexcleaner.exe-CC and it works to remove the files after reboot. BUT when I go to the other user side the registry RUN ONCE shows no reading at all. If I then go through the above proceedure I can make the MRU blaster work on the second side.

Question? Is the MRU B software only able to operate for one user of the computer??

20. keystagegolf

Hello BUBBA,

Some more information. Using the MRU blaster on only one side I have noticed the following: Checking the registry to be sure the ......-CC is there I delete TIF's/reboot and the TIF's have been errased but the cookies are still there(as expected)/ now go to the registry and there is no MRU info. The software is deleting itself from the registry after running??!!
    I guess this should not be happening. Is there anything I can do to stop it?:doubt:

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The "MRU B software" can work for as many users that you have created provided they have Admin priveligies as mentioned in an earlier post above.

The Windows RunOnce key is used when you want to run something one time....hince the registry key name RunOnce. Upon re-boot after the action is taken....the RunOnce entry is removed.

It's important to note once again that users have to have Admin priveligies or permission to write to the registry keys needed for MRUblaster to function properly.

These keys are:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\MRU-Blaster\CookieBlaster
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\MRU-Blaster\IECache

The two MRU-BLASTER keys above is where the user info is stored.

For example....user Bubba selects both plug-ins and Bubba has Admin priveligies or permission to write to the registry keys listed above.

Keys written to and associated user info:
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce....Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -CC
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\MRU-Blaster\CookieBlaster....D:\Documents and Settings\Bubba\Cookies
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\MRU-Blaster\IECache....D:\Documents and Settings\Bubba\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Bubba re-boots....the RunOnce entry cleans TIF\Cookies....RunOnce entry is removed but the MRU-Blaster entries remain.

UserTwo comes along....selects both plug-ins and has Admin priveligies or permission to write to the affected registry keys.

Keys written to and associated user info:
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce....Program Files\\MRU-Blaster\\indexcleaner.exe -CC
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\MRU-Blaster\CookieBlaster....D:\Documents and Settings\UserTwo\Cookies
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\MRU-Blaster\IECache....D:\Documents and Settings\UserTwo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    **Suggest you attempt again with 2 users....check that the above is written to the registry after each user selection with the proper MRUblaster info and see what happens.

If it does not work and each user has Admin priveligies or permission to write to the registry keys needed for MRUblaster to function properly....then something else besides MRUblaster is functioining improperly or there is a registry blocking program in effect.

Bubba

22. keystagegolf

Thank you for your reply.
    Admin. privileges has never been an issue both users have AP.

Having gone through the proceedures dozens of times I can say that the MRU Blaster works only 50% of the time. Sometimes after clicking plugins Temp I F's/save settings and run, it does not write to the registry! Other times it does. Also sometimes the "download type bar" shows that the cookies are being removed but it does not appear to show TIF's are being removed.
    The keys HKLM/SOFTWARE/MRU BLASTER/Cookie blaster &
    /IECache are always there.
    In addition following your proceedures closely and rebooting, the files are still there. Repeating the operation after reboot they are gone!?
    Summarizing the MRU Blaster is not working as it should.
    I have tried to uninstall it through add/remove programs but it remains in the registry under MRU Blaster just after Microsoft.
    How can I remove it completely, to reinstall in the event that the earlier install was not correct. I'm sure it does work, but at the moment not on my computer.
    Probably it has never worked properly and I have only just realised it.
    Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.:'(

23. JDoe

JDoe Registered Member

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO GET TO IT WORKING. START AN INSTALLATION AGAIN PERHAPS.

THIS POST HAS THE SAME PROBLEM IT SEEMS!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  24. keystagegolf

I am continuing to try and get the MRU Blaster working on my computer.

I have cleared the registry, add/remove programs,firewall and seached to clean the computer of previous MRU Blaster downloads.
    Then disconnected the firewall and anti-virus and downloaded MRU Blaster again.
    Then checked the registry as previously directed this is what appears:
    HKLM/software/MRU Blaster/Cookies Blaster
    HKLM/software/MRU Blaster/Scheduler
    Temporary Internet files does not appear!?
    Then going further to:
    HKLM/software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Runonce. On the right side appears C:\program files\MRU Blaster\indexcleaner.exe-COOKIES.

Nowhere does Temporary Internet files appear!!

Am I doing something wrong?? Thank you. I really am trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Please help:(

Keystagegolf

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

We may come back to this later but if the registry was cleared then those MRU-Blaster keys should not be present :doubt:

What I would ask you to do is log onto one of these accounts that you are having this issue with. Then open MRUblaster and select Settings\Go to Plugins....open the Cookie and TIF plugins and select Save Settings + Run Now.

As soon as you have done that:

Click Start button > Run > and copy the below bold command into the window exactly:

regedit.exe /e C:\mru.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MRU-Blaster"

Click OK to execute that command. If done correctly this will create the file C:\mru.txt

Find that file and post the contents Please.

If when doing that any of your programs issue a warning or what not Please make note.

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.