Moo0 Anti-Recovery: free program that erases recoverable data in unused disk areas

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MrBrian, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never heard of it before, thanks.

3. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

Note in FAQ:

4. MrBrian

I did some tests with Moo0 Anti-Recovery v1.05, Recuva v1.40.525, Disk Investigator, and NTFSWalker. The tests were done in a Windows 7 x64 virtual machine. I copied some .pdf files to the virtual hard disk and then deleted them in Explorer using Shift+Delete.

Test #1: Erased file name traces and empty parts of MFT with Moo0 Anti-Recovery. Used Recuva without Deep Scan and also NTFSWalker. All deleted MFT entries, except for a few, were overwritten with random-looking data. I consider this a passed test.

Test #2: Used Recuva's Deep Scan to list which files could be recovered by data carving. Some of the deleted .pdf files were found and successfully recovered to a separate partition. Used Moo0 Anti-Recovery to wipe free space. Used Recuva's Deep Scan to list which files could be recovered by data carving. None of the deleted .pdfs were found. Used Disk Investigator to briefly examine various sectors; unused sectors appeared to be filled with random-looking data, instead of the numerous 0's before the free space wipe. I consider this a passed test.

Test #3: Wiped cluster tips with Moo0 Anti-Recovery. Used Disk Investigator to inspect cluster tips of some files. Some cluster tips were filled with all 0's (including a test file whose cluster tip wasn't filled with all 0's before wiping the cluster tips), while other cluster tips were partially filled with 0's, and then some non 0's. I believe this is a bug and have informed Moo0. I consider this a partially failed test.

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Have you ever run these tests with R-wipe or Eraser?

6. MrBrian

I probably did with Eraser awhile ago, but I don't recall the exact details.

7. MrBrian

I just did similar tests with Heidi Eraser v6.0.8.2273. It did well in all the tests. It does require admin rights to do its work, unlike Prevent Restore.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thanks for that.

9. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.