Microsoft Edge Stable Channel Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by anon, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

As per the screenshot in my post here, #484, I am talking about the Taskbar icon. I have no idea if, or how, one would move the Profile icon on the Taskbar icon. That would not be an answer for me anyway.

[​IMG]

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

ok, that icon on taskbar again. its put here:
    Code:
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    i have digged again, and in fact you must have more than one profile, although you stated you have not.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftEdge/comments/nb24l8/what_does_this_edge_icon_mean_its_different_than/

you might use an ms account for your windows, but another one for edge.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I only use a local account on Windows, no M$ account. I don't sign into Edge at all.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've installed Edge over Edge, then clicked Reset Settings, which to my surprise, did not reset ALL settings. Thankfully, my extensions weren't removed either, just disabled. Bookmarks were not affected.

Edge seems OK, Taskbar icon looks good. Will see how that goes.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Well, I've tried Repair, I've tried Reset. I don't know what else to do., maybe completely uninstall / reinstall Edge next?

6. anon

anon Registered Member

Previewing changes in Windows to comply with the Digital Markets Act in the European Economic Area
    [UPDATE 2/29/24]
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...al-markets-act-in-the-european-economic-area/

7. Brummelchen

uninstalling wont help you out, edge IMO do not touch the profile. may renaming this folder while edge is off help you out

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data
    -->
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data.bak

this includes edge settings and the profile itself:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default

if you see
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Profile 1
    or
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Profile 2

then you have more than one profile.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...les-name/97fdbd19-371a-4266-a17d-c45c5f05e356
    see also registry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Edge\Profiles
    If there exist more than the subtree "Default" then you have.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I see Profile 1.

edge://version shows:

Code:
    Profile path    C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default
    So it looks like I am using the default profile. I'd like to get rid of Profile 1. That must have automatically been created when I clicked on Remove for the Default profile.
    Uninstalling with a third-party uninstaller, like HiBit Uninstaller might help. Just means making the setting changes I like, then reinstalling extensions.

I really don't use Edge, but that Profile icon bugs the crap out of me.

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It looks like the new tab settings are broken anyway. Instead of a new picture each day, it just shows an Edge background. There is no option to customize the new tab page.

10. Brummelchen

"might", but i do not recommend such cleaners. IMO edge will install in the same folder, and renaming of users folders will resolve the (your) issue.
    "profile 1", if it is not listed in the edge profile manager then its not used, you can look into that folder what's the latest "modified" date and compare it with the "default" profile.
    from what i see you only need to delete the "profile 1" folder after backup..

you need to handle edge new tabs. and new tabs need to load "New Tag" page, then you get the options wheel to chose the Bing "IOTD" (image of the day).
    https://gadgetstouse.com/blog/2021/01/04/change-new-tab-background-image-in-microsoft-edge/

for extension settings, try to export settings, eg ublock -monkey-extensions, stylus and more can do. or take screenshots.
    and - you can create again another new profile to have both profiles, switch between and adjust the new one.

11. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

12. Brummelchen

"Ad Selection API" is fully compatible to the same chrome feature, it has only a different name and it works for ms, not google.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, so this is basically their own implementation of Google Topics, can't believe you guys are still using this Edge spyware! On the other hand, I wonder how Brave and Vivaldi will react to this, I mean perhaps websites will malfunction if this spyware stuff isn't enabled, let's hope it won't come to this.

https://blog.google/products/chrome/get-know-new-topics-api-privacy-sandbox/

15. Brummelchen

you better stop bubbeling about things you did not understand, maybe you better stick with vivaldi and/or brave and leave this thread.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

That's funny, I was thinking the same about you. All experts agree that Google Topics will not be good for privacy, it's actually an even better tool to track/spy on people without needing to use any cookies or perhaps even trackers, that can be blocked by adblockers like uBlock. So yeah, stop babbling and think before you post. :rolleyes:

17. anon

anon Registered Member

18. Brummelchen

works like charm against some noise. thx

edit:
    from edge://system

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  19. anon

anon Registered Member

One more "feature".......
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftE...e_turn_off_the_new_weather_widget_on_the_top/
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/remove-weather-from-homescreen-in-edge.22835/

Edit:
    "thanks for reporting! We've been tracking this down and starting this morning, the issue of 'Show Weather' toggle missing in the settings (via the cog next to the weather card) has been resolved. If you had turned this off previously, you should already no longer see the weather info after this fix."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftEdge/comments/1bfblvn/comment/kvhs7eh/
    -----------
    "the toggle is back."
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/remove-weather-from-homescreen-in-edge.22835/page-2#post-430979

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  20. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Edge has pop-ups and redirects set at Allow Default and Chrome has it set at Block Default.

21. Brummelchen

using a new browser i always inspect all available settings. at least dont care which is set by default.

22. Brummelchen

Someone else got extension "google docs offline" installed again although GPO was set for "ghbmnnjooekpmoecnnnilnnbdlolhkhi" ?

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\ExtensionInstallBlocklist]
    "1"="ghbmnnjooekpmoecnnnilnnbdlolhkhi"

23. anon

anon Registered Member

24. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

I enabled this policy:

Code:
    BlockTruncatedCookies
    This policy enhances security by preventing control characters in cookies from causing potential issues or enabling malicious actions.
    Certain characters could lead to security vulnerabilities or corrupt cookie data.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  25. Brummelchen

image please. the current download for gpo do NOT offer this.

edit:
    edge now has this gpo settings:
    ExtensionManifestV2Availability
    - default (browser decision)
    - disable
    - enable
    - EnableForForcedExtensions (3)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.