Is privacy a concern to you?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Circuit, Jan 24, 2017.

?

Is privacy a concern to you?

1. Very much

47.1%
  2. Somewhat

44.7%
  3. Not at all

8.2%
  1. illumination

illumination Guest

One has to change perspective when debating this very topic.

If one were to consider and view going online much like walking out their front door into public, they would then realize that upon walking out their front door they are not going to divulge anything they would want the public to see or know, and it should be vice versa as well. Controlling your privacy will not happen 100%, but you as a user can control what you choose to divulge and which services to use or not.

I do find some companies practices a little less then desirable, such as Google recording voice and video from your Android Smart Phone occasionally and without your permission claiming to improve their services. Other then these type issues, I control what I place where, and minimize it all as much as possible and move on.

2. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

A little "over thinking".
    Either you care or don't. Very simple.
    Please don't take my statement personal.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. illumination

illumination Guest

Not taken personal at all. Although I would like to point out, there is 3 choices above in the poll and not 2 as you just stated.

My second sentence states that one can have a middle ground in this debate, they can choose to control what they can, and then move on, as the rest "which should go without saying" is not controllable.

A user simply will never find complete privacy on the net, even if they chose to use methods such as VPN's ect, they are still giving up data to someone, whether or not the VPN logs, or they are still going to websites logging in ect, then you have not so "VPN" friendly websites and extensions/services "try connecting to Lastpass with your VPN on then jump through hoops proving its you", to contend with.

You ISP sees everything you do the minute you connect. I could go on.

Over thinking, I'm going to say, probably not, more like living reality. Do I care, yes, do I realize there is only so much I can do about it, yes, do I stress over it, no.

4. Circuit

Kind of like the election? :)
    Just a metaphor.

5. illumination

illumination Guest

I do not discuss Politics or Religion in forums, and or real life.

I'm merely trying to point out, that complete privacy does not exist on the internet, and also state at the same time, a user can care about it while at the same time not care, simply by doing what they can to limit what they divulge on the internet and their systems, controlling what they can control and not worrying about what they can not.

6. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Well put, and that's all anyone can do dispite their misguided belief that they are invisible with all the hardning they have done.

7. Circuit

But the question, Is privacy a concern to you? That's all!

8. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Just an observation, other members have given extended explanations to their yes or no answers...Seems reasonable to do so, you didn't specify that they were unwelcome, unneeded or unwanted..Perhaps you didn't think your requirements through :)

9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Those in power and those with power are turning up the heat on us.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/21/adobe_joins_with_microsoft_for_new_ways_to_mine_your_data/

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...r-web-browsing-history-to-advertisers.392919/

This Poll: There are now 7 votes cast by members who are not concerned at all about their privacy!

10. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

We will be profiled, down to a T, so to speak.

11. VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone Registered Member

@Tarnak
    +1

Voted *very much, though I have a very realistic understanding that there is only so much I can do.
    I just fly as low as possible. That is my way to care very much.

12. PEllis

PEllis Guest

I voted somewhat. I do some stuff to give me a little more privacy, like changing the privacy settings in Windows 10, but that's about it.

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

It has become more important for me lately, not at least because it has become easier to secure privacy. Besides blocking ads and trackers I use VPN and sand-boxed browser that erases everything when I close the browser, protection for canvas fingerprinting and random user agent spoofing for daily browsing. I am sure it is not enough protection against NSA, but I cant see why they should target me, but enough against snooping corporations.

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

@sukarof
    Which extensions do you use to protect from canvas fingerprinting and for user agent spoofing?

15. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

* Very much

-1. For me, it is exactly equal with security.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.