Senate votes to let ISPs sell your Web browsing history to advertisers

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by IvoShoen, Mar 23, 2017.

1. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

2. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I'm really surprised that nobody commented on this topic. I'm personally not affected - but for all users located in the U.S. this is an absolute disaster.

So as a countermeasure I think that all users in the U.S. who want to defend their privacy are forced to use a reliable and trustworthy VPN provider. Or Tor.

3. Jerry666

Jerry666 Registered Member

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Using VPN will soon become necessary to maintain at least some minimal level of privacy. I hope that EU won't allow something similar in their countries.

5. summerheat

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

This is bad, no doubt. But it has always been prudent to hide activity from ISPs.

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Agreed. VPN time for me.

8. Minimalist

http://www.securityweek.com/could-killing-fcc-privacy-rules-lead-end-net-neutrality

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I can't believe that they even considered this in the first place, it's obvious that Trump's policies are now backfiring, consumers are paying the price.

10. hawki

hawki Registered Member

11. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

It would be interesting to know what the forum members are using to beef up their browsing privacy. I do not live in the USA, but the news outlets in my neck of the woods have accused the ISPs of blatantly violating privacy laws. Even though we have laws regarding customer data privacy, the crown is oblivious. Our federal regulator can not charge or fine the ISPs, all they can do is issue tersely worded warnings to the offenders. o_O That has 'em shakin' in dar boots. Not.

I use StartPage , HTTPS and uBlockO on Chrome. On FF, I just use SBIE. On Windows, I use OpenDNS.
    For financial activity on websites I use Trusteer Endpoint Protection. No VPN.

Does anyone use Verisign DNS? It states that it does not collect/sell customer data.

12. Minimalist

@emmjay
    The tools that you are using won't prevent your ISP from collecting your browsing history and other data. If you don't want to share data with your ISP you will have to use VPN or Tor for browsing.

13. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Just as well I asked. So they can get private data as well? I do not particularly care if they know what sites I visit, I just do not want them knowing what content I am accessing, my login credentials, pswds, financial info or what I am purchasing).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  14. Minimalist

If you are using https when you're exchanging sensitive data, then your ISP couldn't see that data. It could only see to which servers and domains, you are connecting to.

15. summerheat

... which is your browsing history! So this is not really a relief ;)

16. Minimalist

Yes, but not of concern to emmjay, according to post #13.

17. summerheat

Ah, sorry, I missed that :thumb:

18. Minimalist

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/...-suffer-if-congress-repeals-fcc-privacy-rules

19. IvoShoen

20. hawki

hawki Registered Member

It's Done :-(

"...In a party-line vote, House Republicans freed Internet service providers such as Verizon, AT&T and Comcast of protections approved just last year that had sought to limit what companies could do with information such as customer browsing habits, app usage history, location data and Social Security numbers. The rules also had required providers to strengthen safeguards for customer data against hackers and thieves.
    The Senate has voted to nullify those measures..."

...Supporters of Tuesday’s repeal vote argued that the privacy regulations stifle innovation by forcing Internet providers to abide by unreasonably strict guidelines.

'[Consumer privacy] will be enhanced by removing the uncertainty and confusion these rules will create, ' said Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who chairs the House subcommittee that oversees the FCC..." ** [See further quote below]

[Huho_O]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/28/the-house-just-voted-to-wipe-out-the-fccs-landmark-internet-privacy-protections/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_internetprivacy-0603pm-winner:homepage/story

"The resolution also prohibits the FCC from issuing rules that are substantially the same in the future."

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/846396833920364544

Another Marshsa Blackburn quote on repeal of the privacy rules:

** "Pleased that the House voted to roll back the FCC's flawed ISP privacy rules and taken steps to protect consumers."

[Whato_O]

Marshsa Blackburn is Chairwoman of The United States House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications, Technology and the Internet

https://twitter.com/MarshaBlackburn

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  21. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Shoving me ever closer to a vpn. Anyone in the vpn biz is set to make a fortune. Rather would give the cash to them, it's the flip side of the same coin.

22. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

The upside here is that a Software Company need not collect the limited amount of data actually available to them- now all they have to do is to throw a couple of bucks Verizon's way- the ISP's have EVERYTHING available to them (so no more complaints about Qihoo from those living in the States?).

But I'm being flippant and shouldn't be. Previously (and I hope everyone knows this) places like Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. would collect and use data- but they only had access to stuff pertaining to their websites, and as kinda-sorta competitors in the info market would not share this information among themselves. Now any third party can engage into a contractual relationship with an ISP to acquire all such data.

Just what we needed- a new industry build on the loss of individual privacy. Well Done, guys!!

23. IvoShoen

24. Minimalist

Good idea, but I doubt that he will be able to buy it. There are always some people that are more equal than others.

25. Minimalist

https://www.forbes.com/sites/enriquedans/2017/03/29/the-upcoming-spread-of-vpns

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.