I discovered that "Searchforit" was installed!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Momnewbie, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momnewbie

Momnewbie Guest

Hi,
    I've downloaded the new version for myself and my daughter and have recently updated both. When I checked my daughter's machine with Spybots I discovered that "Searchforit" was installed. It is listed as as hijacker. Spybots removed it so I didn't think too much about it. When I updated Spywareblaster again, I noticed that one item had protection disabled and discovered that it was "searchforit". I assumed I hadn't enabled the protection by mistake, however, the same thing has just happened on my machine - i.e. spybots found "Searchforit" and it was disabled in Spywareblaster and I always enable all protection on my machine once I've updated. Is "Searchforit" somehow disabling Spywareblaster?
    Both machines run Windows98, ZA free, AVG free and Spywareblaster.

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Momnewbie,

This is a False positive error on Spybot's part and will be addressed in an upcoming Spybot update. You can read more about this in the below thread and for the time being it's suggested you right click that item after a Spybot scan and select ignore.

This thread---> Spybot Update 8/30/04 False Positive?

4. Momnewbie

Momnewbie Guest

Thanks for the info. I had missed those previous threads: I've read them now. I'll exclude Searchforit from Spybots until this is fixed. However, I'd much rather have a "false positive" than have either program miss something vital! At least I know both Spybots and Spywareblaster are constantly trying to keep ahead of the "rats" even if the odd problem does occur.
    Thanks for all of your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.