I also have the Trojan-spy.html.smitfraud.c problem...please help

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Blasterkid, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blasterkid

Blasterkid Registered Member

First I want to apologize if your not supposed to start an individual thread for a problem. I wasn't sure if this site worked that way, but I saw on a few others where they prefered that method so I would rather be safe than sorry here.

I have been working on fixing the problem now for about 8 hours......I am really tired and basically at my wits end. I did do the other suggestions mentioned in the other thread.(as well as anything I could find on the subject that wasn't too extreme) I ran search and destroy and also ad-aware with the preferences re-adjusted as suggested. That didn't help the 'smitfraud' problem but it did remove a few things which was cool.

I just bought and downloaded Norton Systemworks2005 yesterday.....problem with the Kav download is it says I can't have Norton on my set up. I did download but I haven't installled. I was able manually to remove the bitmap of the blue screen so now I have the black....not sure if that is progress...I also located a few other files.

I am decent on a computer but if someone could help me with a walk through I would be soooooo appreciative.

any questions you have about my set-up.....I will be waiting by the computer to field the questions. I am on aol (ducks head in shame) but I did download firefox from Mozila which will be my new browser once this is all cleared up.

another slightly weird addition to the problem is I cannot get access to web pages now from my aol account. it works on explorer and firefox but not aol. I've restarted my computer.

I am running I believe WindowsME although I generally browse with aol9.0

Thanks again I am sorry if this is not supposed to be it's own indivdual thread.

any help and you will be the best new friend ever!

:)

Rich.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Blasterkid

I believe so. (tried all the suggestions)

I am on the phone with Norton and they are basically saying for $70 bucks they'll try and walk me through this.....I am going wait on that.

I have gone through and done I believe most of the stuff suggested. I was (am) a little confused because I have been surfing around on this all day so I have seen a lot of threads with different people throwing out ideas.....my head is a little jumbled up right now.

I saw one page where a guy ran something and then posted up his working system or something like that.

Let me know the next step you'd suggest and I am on it. I am not a total flop on the computer so I should be able to follow intemdediate type stuff to maybe a little advanced depending on what it is.

let me know and thanks VERY MUCH for replying so fast.

Rich.

4. Blasterkid

I was wondeing not that it totally matters.....I kind of think I got this downloading bearshare. Not a file or mp3 but their installation package.....is that possible?

I am pretty sure that's when this all started.

I have run Norton (even their online Virus check), Ad Aware and also Search and Destroy.

I am ready for the next step..I realize that this isn't a virus per se' and that's why it's not being totally detected.

I found that Bitmap and deleted it...now I have the black screen. the guy from Norton said that I should have done that with a certain setting in place and that's why I didn't completly remove it.

I am basically missing a few "options" on my display menu. My screensaver still works and if I restart I will originally get the white screen that says "click to reactivate your active desktop"

that's about all I can think of now.......hit me back I feel confident we can beat this thing.

Rich.

5. Blasterkid

Oh, If the Kav download works to remove this...can I disable my Norton and then install that Kav program?.......use it and the remove it and then re-enable Norton as to not affect their shared files? I am not sure because I don't have a dsik for Norton...I downloaded it. Can I back it up on a disk(burn a data disk of it) and then re-install it that way...or is that a one shot deal?

sorry if I am asking a lot of questions...this might be childs play for you guys I am not sure......it's a lot for me...I am feeling pretty taxed. I've had 2 hours sleep and I am feeling it.

hahaha

thanks again I really appreciate this help.

Rich.

6. Blasterkid

sorry for the multiple posts. I will print out Pieter suggestion...run through all of that right now and get back to you.

Please come back and I'll let you know what happens in a few minutes.

Rich.

thanks Snowbound.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Did you take a look at the one in Post # 35 ?

Simply take a look....and before doing what's mentioned....feel free to ask questions....especially since it intails the registry.

This post---> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=446653&postcount=35

8. Blasterkid

One quick question. I HAVE 'securtiy iguard' on my desktop(I have no clue where or when I downloaded it ) BUT when I go to add or remove programs it doesn't exsist there.....I had a hunch a few hours back that little guy was part of the problem.

does it hide under another name possibly....I will see if I have the other two

ok I don't have either of the other two.(Virtual Maid or Search Maid) I have neither of those listed.

I just did a search under files and folders and I found it though.....what do I do and how do I handle that material in there......control A and delete anything with I guard?

let me know on this one ok? There are about 16 items and I would say 14 are Iguard material.

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I can't say for sure as i don't use it but according to this link,

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/articles/p2p/

if it's the free version, it has spyware in it.

Well, though we do not allow HijackThis Logs here anymore, as said here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42148

my suggestion would be to go to one of the sites in that link and post one and let the experts there guide u through cleaning your system.

Two of the larger forums are,

http://castlecops.com/t102301-Hijackthis_Guidelines_Read_Before_Posting.html

http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=10517

Hope this helps.

snowbound

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  10. Blasterkid

hey Bubba thanks. that was interesting......so now I am kinda perplexed again...which is best. I feel comfortable doing either. Obviously your suggestion is a little scarier. I can start to really lined up what might confuse me in question form if you think that ways best.

do you need more info on my set up or anything?

let me know...that way seemed a little simpler but I might be wrong.

One quick question. I HAVE 'securtiy iguard' on my desktop(I have no clue where or when I downloaded it ) BUT when I go to add or remove programs it doesn't exsist there.....I had a hunch a few hours back that little guy was part of the problem.

does it hide under another name possibly....I will see if I have the other two programs..

ok I don't have either of the other two.(Virtual Maid or Search Maid) I have neither of those listed.

I just did a search under files and folders and I found Security iguard though.....what do I do and how do I handle that material in there......control A and delete anything with I guard?

let me know on this one ok? There are about 16 items and I would say 14 are Iguard material.
    Edit/Delete Message

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think its better if you find the reg entries and delete them. But thats my personal opinion.

12. Blasterkid

what about the 'security iguard' situation. If I search in files and folders there are many matches that exsist but not in my add or remove programs selection.....do I move forward with the steps and leave those then?

Rich.

13. Blasterkid

I went ahead and did the editreg version.

I have one question.

I didn't have the option of "NoDispSerSavPage"

and there was one other icon left and that was an ab file called "default"

should I leave it....dump it?........should there be more in there.

I turned the values to 0 on NoDispBackgroundPage, No DispSettingPage, and finally NoDispAppearancePage"

what is next a restart?

.....................let me know thanks very much. I really want this to work...it's like my grail now......to, fix this problem!

Rich.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.