how to temporaily disable Nod32?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by shmish, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shmish

shmish Registered Member

Hi,

My PC currently is not working. After boot and logging in, windows basically hangs. I can't start task manger, reboot, nothing. I need to do a hard reset. The PC starts up ok in Safe Mode though. One of the first things I need to check is if Nod32 is causing the problem. I cannot uninstall the program in Safe Mode though. What can I do in Safe Mode in order to uninstall or disable Nod32?

The reason I would like to investigate Nod32 is because at one point I encountered this error:
    Failure - Security Options
    Login process has failed to create the security options dialog

I'm using Vista Home Premium (32bit).

thx

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Uninstall NOT from Control Panel -> Programs and feautures but from Start -> All Programs -> ESET -> ESET NOD32 Antivirus -> Uninstall

If you want to just disable NOD32 , not complete uninstall ->
    1) In Safe Mode , goto Start
    2) Type Services in the Start search line
    3) Enter them with Administrative rights
    4) In the list , find the ESET service
    5) Right click the ESET Service
    6) From the drop-down menu , change the service status to "Disabled" and confirm with OK

Restart the computer . Now the ESET things are completely disabled . In order to restart NOD32 , goto Services (can be done in Normal mode , too) and change again the status of the service to "Automatic" . Reboot after that . Before any future experiment , I would strongly advise you make sure you are running ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.672 and that no other security product is installed/active.

3. shmish

shmish Registered Member

Thanks! I didn't know you could modify the services in Safe Mode.

cheers
    s

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome :thumb:

Keep us informed

5. Boooooo

Boooooo Registered Member

6. shmish

shmish Registered Member

Well I think there is a good chance that it is Nod32 auto update. I had tried a system restore and that didn't work. The core hardware is obviously ok because Safe Mode works. So my guess is something that has a service running at start up, and somehow changed in the last 12 hours. That's all speculation at this point, but I'll update this thread with info later tonight.

s

7. shmish

shmish Registered Member

Yup, turning off the Eset Nod32 service got my PC running again.

How will I know when to start Nod32 again. Just check the Eset website everyday to see if they've updated the engine?

cheers

8. Boooooo

Boooooo Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.