How do you un-install programs?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Overkill, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I'm curious as to how you guys un-install your software when you change setups so frequently, this is how I do it...

step #1 Revo uninstalls the software, then scans for registry entries (advanced option) then I delete all that are in bold then reboot

step #2 Open everything and search for left over files/folders

step #3 I manually look for leftover files/folders...I go to appdata,program files,program data,prefetch and sometimes documents, delete anything from the uninstalled software (did I miss a directory?)

step #4 open reg edit and do a search for the uninstalled software, delete any and all keys related to that software (anything with the name of the un-installed software)

step #5 open nirsoft reg scanner and repeat step #4 (just to be sure)

step #6 run ccleaner and TFC to get rid of any temp files etc, then reboot and I'm usually satisfied

Do you guys agree with this? Did I miss something? I'm open to suggestions!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Yours is very comprehensive approach. I usually only run apps own uninstaller with periodical ccleaner cleanup.

3. Overkill

I'm a perfectionist lol

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I recommend Geek Uninstaller - its light, fast and portable and does a much better job of removing unwanted programs than the built-in Windows Programs Add/Remove applet. :thumb:

5. Overkill

I have the portable version along with iobit and revo (portable and pro) and I think revo is more thorough than the others :thumb:

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Programs own uninstaller, and then manually look for any folders left behind and drivers that may still be installed, and CCleaner of course. :)

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

There is very similar thread on forum
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=352196
    and from it my way

8. niki

niki Registered Member

It depends on the software to be uninstalled. If the program is an AV then I use their own program uninstallers. For 32 bit software it's the free Revo uninstaller. For 64 bit I go to Program and Features and uninstall there. I often use Search Everything as well to mop up leftovers. Finally CCleaner sometimes gets the nod to analyze and remove registry leftovers but I back up the ones first just in case.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried uninstalling a program this morning in Win 8.1 but that program was giving me an error message: "Unable to locate utContent..." os some similar.

i downloaded Revo portable and uninstalled the program easily with it.

i usually only use the programs own uninstallers.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I usually try uninstalling with the app's uninstaller, but if it fails or I get into problems, I usually just restore an image. I hate messing with uninstalls and remnants of stuff causing issues, etc.

11. Overkill

I have not had any issues since my last install, revo does a great job!

12. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Still not clean... Still not clean... Still not clean... Still not clean... Still not clean... Still not clean... :)

Talk about excessive! I wish I had your amount of free time. :)

I use the application's built-in uninstallation. That's basically it. I may check with Autoruns if it left anything behind but I usually don't have to since I remember which application has those things on my system. Also once every few months I go through my AppData folder to clean unnecessary folders.

13. guest

guest Guest

1. Stare at my computer screen.
    2. Throw my glasses off and say "Screw this!".
    3. Open my drive imaging program.
    4. Do a system recovery.
    5. Get a mug of coffee while waiting it's done.
    6. Profit. :D

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No you haven't missed anything. But, really there is no need to do all of these steps. In the vast majority of cases just running the software's own installer is all you need to do. Sure, you'll end up with some leftover registry keys and files, maybe even a lot - but this really does not matter one bit. Sure it may be nice to have a clean computer, but there's no benefit from it.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

In most cases, you can get away with using the app's uninstaller, and everything is usually fine. However, I will say that if you install and uninstall security apps (AV, Firewalls, Suites, etc) frequently, then sooner or later (probably sooner), something will get hosed. That's why I use images...

16. No wonder why you're "Overkill". The only time I've got crazy with uninstalling something had been uninstalled Norton security app other than that I uninstall a program from the Windows programs and features then run the zsoft to finish up.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

18. Overkill

I like a clean computer indeed, It really doesn't take very long doing it my way...I would simply go nuts just for the simple reason that I know there's leftovers lol

19. moontan

moontan Registered Member

it would not have worked in my case as that program had been part of my setup since almost the beginning.

i just decided to replace it with a similar program.

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I usually run the software's included uninstaller but when that fails, follow the above steps... :D

21. guest

guest Guest

For common programs then simple uninstalls are probably enough. But security software love to leave so many things behind even with their own uninstaller tool. It's much easier, safer and faster to restore an image instead of carefully searching for lefovers. :)

22. roger_m

As someone who in the past much more so than today used to try out lots of different security software without ever restoring from a clean image, or doing a reinstall of Windows, my experience has been that almost always just running the included installer is adequate. In cases where it isn't, then using the publisher's specific removal tool will do the job just fine.

As for leftovers when using either method, it's not something I worry about as unless there are some components of the AV which are still launching, any leftovers do not need to be removed. I guess the single exception to this is that a new antivirus may refuse to install because it finds a traces of another AV and incorrectly thinks that it is still installed.

23. guest

guest Guest

Hmm, not in my case. Even the specialized uninstaller tool from the developer still leaves some things behind. Drivers, registry entries, log files, etc. The computer is always screwed up in the end if I just let it be.

24. roger_m

Left over drivers are only an issue if they are still being loaded. Left over registry keys and log files do not matter.

I haven't had the same problems you have. In any case I would much rather risk encountering problems than restoring from a clean image. If there are problems I have to track down and fix - I'll quite probably learn something along the way which may help me in the future. If I restore from an image I learn nothing.

25. guest

guest Guest

Each to their own I guess. I've done image restore many times and not a single problem, as long as you picked the right software. Windows built-in is the most reliable one I've ever used. Personally, I'd rather to learn about video editing instead of fixing problems caused by leftover files. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.