HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

I also commented on the video, similar to what you think. IMHO the guy presents it like HMPA was an antivirus with signatures, he does not know/say that it is designed to run besides a full security suite like KIS. He has just tested it for a few days. What he does is download malware and runs it. His reviews are nice to see but he often runs only one security software and draws conclusions. A few days ago he did not like KIS 2017 as there were some processes still left, although KIS ran them as restricted.
    However he recently showed in a VM what Petya, Locky, Satana etc. do to a system. If I am not mistaken the guy works for Emsisoft in the meantime but his channel has become very popular on youtube.

2. Well Sophos is starting to integrate surfright products into their productline. Distribution though third party (mind that legal relation is also with Cleverbridge), their strange move to drop support, using this forum to test beta's, it has all the signs of a product to be taken out of the market in a few years.

3. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

I like the product. I like the support effort that the developers make here to create one of the most dynamic customer feedback/development loops I have ever witnessed.

I would be very happy with a current "Known Issues and Incompatibilities" list. If something came up, I could quickly look it up and set the options or workaround, if necessary. This could be cross-referenced with the release history. This would be much easier than searching 440 pages of a thread at Wilders, or risk asking a duplicate question.

Bottom line, in my opinion, the SurfRight team is most likely in a transition phase since being acquired by Sophos. I would just be patient and hope that the Sophos team understands the value of the goodwill generated by the SurfRight customers and the community in this forum. And show support for this value by adding some resources to the support area. Since it is paid for software, I would expect some level of professional support and documentation. But I expect that decision is probably out of SurfRight's control now.

4. Tinstaafl

5. Telos

Telos Registered Member

IIRC those sentiments also arose with Sandboxie. Who knows what the future holds? Probably it's an undefeatable network intrusion rendering all means of protection moot.

6. Sophos has a consumer free product, while sandboxie owner only was focused on corporate market. So those can't be compared.Also Tzuk stepped back, while Loman brothers seem to be responsible for certain competence centers. So not the same situation.

Maybe all free home user products will be available under the HitmanPro label. We will see

7. Tinstaafl

Looks interesting.

It uses the same award-winning technology that IT professionals trust to protect their business systems.
    https://www.sophos.com/en-us/lp/sophos-home.aspx

Effectiveness comparison of Sophos Home VS Sophos Endpoint Security and Control (10.0)
    https://community.sophos.com/products/sophos-home/f/145/t/74560

AV-TEST Product Review and Certification Report – Mar-Apr/2016
    https://www.av-test.org/en/antiviru...os-endpoint-security-and-control-10.6-161502/

8. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

The silence currently surrounding this product's state of affairs is peculiar. I'd think a well-supported product in "transition" would be supported even more, not mysteriously left there for an undetermined amount of time. Seriously, a product without consistently active, accessible support is like, well, it's like a day without sunshine. Or something.

9. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2498877,00.asp "Sophos Home brings the company's sophisticated business-grade antivirus technology to the home user, for free. It scores very well with the independent labs, and in most (but not all) of our own tests."

10. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

You are still wrong.
    Cleverbridge is not a distributor, nor seller.
    It's a billing and subscription service.
    They don't owe customers technical support, just support for billing and subscription.
    Many companies use there service:
    https://www.cleverbridge.com/corporate/our-clients/

11. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

Has anybody else experienced the following problem:

HMP scan stated via HMP.A, scan cancelled due to "no Internet connection." The HMP scan window waits for 4 minutes 30 seconds, then gives up.

HMPA scan aborted.png

Other programs on the same PC can access the Internet just fine, and other PCs on the same network can access the Internet just fine. The same HMP.A build on a Vista machine just completed the scan without issues.

HMP.A. version 3.5.1, build 550 Beta
    Windows 7 HP SP1 x64
    NIS 22.7.1.32.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

12. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

No, scan is running fine.

13. Tinstaafl

When that happened to me I discovered that I had a firewall rule blocking that particular program.

14. Tinstaafl

Lack of communication could also represent a drawn out decision making process about how to market this tool within the Sophos portfolio of security products. Be patient. With any luck, it will become a free addition to Sophos Home.

I am glad that it exists, because it solves a problem that many average users are not aware of.

The other tools that I have examined do not cover as much as HMPA.

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Well I believe that erikloman's response, if any, to my HMP license issue will tell us something. As things stand right now, I paid for a one year subscription in May, 2016, and today that license disappeared from my installation, and although it has only been activated only once, HMP won't let me reactivate it cuz "It has been activated too many times." WTF?

This is an issue that goes beyond "support." It's an issue of having paid $USD for something I did not receive, i.e., a one year subscription.

I would be very surprised, among other things, if my issue was not fixed. If it isn't, It will show that Sophos is not an accountable and consumer responsive company. Sadly, the removal of official Surf Right Support speaks volumes. There is no legitimate justification for Sopho's action.

Sopho's allocation of resources (i.e., ericloman) away from Surf Right is simply not the right thing to do on several levels.It leaves paid subcribers to HMP hanging and left out to dry, to be saved only by ericloman's generosity of his spare time, to visit this forum for support.

<<snip snip>> Sophos!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  16. Tinstaafl

I had the same issue after a clean install of Windows 10 on 7/30. Sent an email to support@surfright.com and received an answer on 8/1 that my key had been unblocked. All good now!

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Hi Tinstaadfi :)

I thought support@surfright was dead now.

Well I sent to that email and got an acknowledgement that my email was received :) lol , that and $1.89 will get me a cup of caffeine at a Starbucks.

18. Tinstaafl

Good luck!!! It was still working on 7/30, which was a weekend. It took until Monday to get a resolution.

19. Tinstaafl

I wonder what this iso_O

Sophos Intercept stops ransomware in its tracks – try the beta today!
    02-08-2016 / Editor
    Corporate

We’re excited to announce the upcoming launch of Sophos Intercept, ushering in a new era of endpoint protection for modern threats. It’s our new signatureless anti-exploit, anti-ransomware, and anti-hacker technology that includes root-cause analytics and advanced malware cleanup – all managed via the Sophos Central Admin console.

https://blogs.sophos.com/2016/08/02...-in-its-tracks-try-the-beta-today/#more-31820

20. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Well that's jolly good news for Sophos's Endpoint Customers.

That's what you get when you steal/divert ericloman's genius away from HMP and HMPA.

21. hawki

hawki Registered Member

~ Off Topic Image Link Removed As Per Policy ~

>
    From Sophos excellent twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/Sophos
    >
    Sophos also has a Support Twitter feed. Too bad I'm not stooopid enough to have a twitter account. I could post my issue there.

https://twitter.com/SophosSupport

Sophos has lost my good will. I'm so angry I'm gonna start a multi-billion dollar company and not use Sophos Endpoint Security! That'l show'm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2016
  22. Tinstaafl

Yep. Scroll down to this announcement.

Sophos Intercept integrates next-generation endpoint defense technologies into a single product, including the progressive anti-exploit technology acquired with SurfRight in December 2015

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/press-...nounces-beta-release-of-sophos-intercept.aspx

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"“SurfRight is a growing, profitable business with an established customer base ..."

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/press-office/press-releases/2015/12/sophos-acquires-surfright.aspx

Not for long if you don't let ericloman out of his endpoint cage.

"Sophos will continue development and support for SurfRight’s existing product line including its popular HitmanPro malware scanning and removal tools, used by more than 20 million users worldwide."

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/press-office/press-releases/2015/12/sophos-acquires-surfright.aspx

That's nice. WhereTF is it?

What else can you expect from a company whose former claim to fame was the highest rate of false positives in the consumer security industry?

24. Tinstaafl

Our Story (Sophos)
    We began producing antivirus and encryption products nearly 30 years ago. Today our products help secure the networks used by 100 million people in 150 countries and 100,000 businesses, including Pixar, Under Armour, Northrop Grumman, Xerox, Ford, Avis, and Toshiba.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

@hawki ,

I have a similar but not identical issue resolved by sending a PM to @markloman .

My problem was I'd reinstalled the OS too many times but found I had activated my licence too many times. The new licensing system works differently. After a fresh clean install of Win10 AU when I installed Alert it was automatically activated, no need to enter a key.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.