HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. marian1

marian1 Registered Member

Sorry for double posting - just to be clear, Firefox, Skype and Word all work with no issues if I uncheck the Enforce DEP option.

2. markloman

markloman Developer

Do you have an Intel or AMD processor?

3. marian1

Intel i5 3570K

And fwiw, I have no plugins in FF.

And one more thing - as I mentioned, I also have MBAE installed and while it's running, IE 11 crashes as soon as I open it, with "fault module name mbae64.dll" somewhere in the error message (with or without Enforce DEP checked). When I deactivate MBAE, IE is fine. This does not apply for the other apps I previously mentioned, which are stopped as soon as I open them, with or without MBAE active. Food for thought :)

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  4. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Can you uncheck LoadLib and leave DEP enabled.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

6. marian1

This seems to work. With all reported software - Firefox, Skype, MS Word and BS Player (v. 2.69) (the latter only started to display this behavior recently (last couple of hours), as it didn't have this issue until now). As a side note (in regards to BS Player starting to act up) - VLC doesn't seem to be affected.

The IE issue (possible conflict with MBAE) persists, with or without DEP or LoadLib.

Cheers!

7. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i wouldn't expect HMPA to work well together with MBAE, or to work well together with microsoft's EMET.. in other words, in my opinion, you should only use one or the other, not both..

8. MikeRepairs

MikeRepairs Registered Member

I hope not because I have reported several v2 to v3 update failures on win 7 64 bit. After the update hmpa service is not running and can't start. The average user will not know and their protection will be gone.

I always have to Uninstall v2 reboot then install v3

9. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

HMPA does not conflict with MBAE Free (can't speak for Premium) or EMET 5.1 or below, but both the latter would appear to be almost entirely redundant, based on other posts.
    @marian1: I have HMPA running with MBAE Free, and have no issues with FF, Skype, MS Office 10, IE11 with standard mitigations (Enforce DEP enabled). Win 7 and Win 8.1, Intel I7 processors.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you say more about how WSA Identity Shield is a factor?

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

The alert doesn't show when ID shield is disabled. Also had a similar alert in the past with the ID shield.
    EDIT: btw, the process from HMP alert is on Allow in WSA's Active Process view and nothing is on Deny in ID shields Application Protection view.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would ask how you know running HMPA, MBAE, and Emet together won't conflict. The fact you can install them and they seem to run, is not exactly a good test. The only real test is how it all work when confronted by real attack. An analogy if you will. I can send a squadron of aircraft against a target, and they all fly together fine. But if they all attack in an uncoordinated manner the results may be disasterous. I would strongly advise sticking with one an that alone. Of course for me it's HMPA

13. ropchain

ropchain Registered Member

As far as I know, running multiple mitigation tools alongside each other does not decrease your level of protection, but it can certainly cause compatibility issues.

14. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

There probably isn't a need to use both MBAE premium and HMP.A paid (MBAE and HMP.A free could be fine). But if you look in the SurfRight website, it says the following:
    "Hardware-assisted Control-Flow Integrity
    HitmanPro.Alert 3 is the first and only commercially available exploit mitigation software capable of leveraging MSR hardware registers in your existing Intel® microprocessor to assist Alert's Control-Flow Integrity (CFI) analysis. And where other security software struggle with application compatibility, HitmanPro.Alert is compatible with other security solutions, including exploit mitigation software.

Regardless if one already has a license for HitmanPro.Alert, then I would recommend sticking with it. If not, then perhaps using both HitmanPro.Alert free and MBAE would be a good alternative since HitmanPro.Alert free doesn't have Exploit Mitigations. Unless, of course, if someone here knows if those two programs can conflict in any other way.

15. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Erik has said before that HMP.A is OK with EMET 5.1, but not 5.2, but I do not run EMET as it has caused problems for me before, even standalone, especially with IE11. But I have been running MBAE Free with HMP.A with no problems, though you're right, I haven't tested a real attack. I am sure MBAE Free is superfluous to HMP.A, so I will follow your advice and remove it.

Edit: And Erik's advice.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  16. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Second time this week I got this with Firefox 38.0.5:

Code:
    Mitigation  DEP

Platform  6.1.7601/x64 06_17*
    PID  3580
    Application  C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Description  Firefox 38.0.5

EIP = 1C7B6400, State = 0x1000, Type = 0x20000, Protect = 0x4

Process Trace
    1  C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe [3580]
    2  C:\Windows\explorer.exe [1772]
    3  C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe [1668]
    HitmanPro scan finds nothing (nor do EIS and MBAM).

17. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

I wonder why,
    people are complaining, that use double, triple , and even more protection-software, causing trouble....

My setup, see signature, is running fine.

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Um, I've noticed after running setup version update installer that does not ask for reboot. That I'll lose all Encrypting. And reboot brings encrypting back....anyone see similar.

19. L10090

L10090 Registered Member

I agree, my setup is simple (perhaps too simple?) but I did not have any serious problems in the last 3 years,
    only a few malware issues that were easily taken care off by either Adwcleaner or HitmanPro.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  20. L10090

L10090 Registered Member

I did a version update (not a clean reinstall, which I normally do) from b187 to b190.
    As far as I remember a reboot was forced upon me and all is working fine.

21. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

Three times last night, HMP.A put a halt to proceedings when I tried to scan my PC with the ESET Online Scanner, something I do regularly as a second-opinion check.

The interception took place when I clicked on the green button in their pop-up window to "Start" the scan. DEP mitigation.

HitmanPro's suggested scan didn't turn up anything nefarious.

This didn't happen during last week's ESET scan; IIRC I was still on the previous build (forget which one, sorry).

I took a screenshot of HMP.A's message and can post it here if needed.

Build 187, Vista Home Premium x64, IE8.

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

...does not ask for reboot... excludes Alert. eg: I ran SBIE beta installer that does not prompt reboot. After SBIE beta install... no encrypting. Reboot returned encrypting. My bad. I was not clear...

23. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Unfortunately that folder is empty.

24. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

typically the result from using garbage, like CCleaner...

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Mitigation DEP
    Platform 6.3.9600/x64 06_45
    PID 9932
    Application C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Description Google Chrome 43

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.