High CPU Usage, strange memory usage

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by Chubb, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Copied from my previous post, Memory Usage in Windows XP:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=128988

Memory usage:

Ewido 4.0.0.147 Beta
    guard.exe 21,704K
    Ewido.exe 12,784K

CounterSpy 1.5.82
    SunThreatEngine.exe 59,336K
    SunProtectionServer.exe 13,532K
    SunServer.exe 9,624K

KAV 6.0.0.299
    avp.exe 5,900K
    avp.exe 2,664K

Ewido.exe jumped between 20-56% of the CPU time, while CounterSpy and KAV didn't have such big CPU consumption.

Memory usage in my Windows 2000 (which was dual boot with Windows XP with the same hardware)

Ewido 4.0.0.147 Beta
    guard.exe 22,204K
    Ewido.exe 23,236K

Memory usage of Ewido.exe in Win2K nearly doubles that in Windows XP. However, half an hour later, memory usage of Ewido.exe dropped to 5,320K. Strange!!!

Peak memory usage:
    guard.exe 67,704K
    Ewido.exe 68,808K

NOD32 2.51.26
    nod32krn.exe 17,648K
    nod32kui.exe 2,892K

SpySweeper 4.5.9.709
    spysweeper.exe 14,784K
    wrsssdk.exe 14,008K

CPU Usage: from 1% to 88%. The fluctuation and peak is much higher than in Windows XP.

Is this normal?

2. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Can please check the mem usage with the current build again?
    And also, what is the cpu usage when the main window is closed and only the guard is still active?

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

When I start pc (ewido 4 loads in systray) ewido uses already a lot cpu. What I do: I open the main window of ewido and close it again. Then the cpu usage is gone. (less then 1 %)
    mem:
    ewido.exe 1,5 K
    guard.exe 5K

Gerard

4. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Windows XP-SP2 HE, Ewido 4.0 Beta Build 150.

Having the GUI Ewido open and "just sitting there" results in a continuous cpu usage ranging from 14% to 55%. In watching SysInternal's FileMon and DiskMon during this period shows Ewido doing a tremendous and consistent amount of file/disk activity.

I see the same thing on reboot.

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Cannot check mem usage with Build 150 and 151 because it crashed after updating to the most current buid. :'( error.err attached in my thread.

6. chaos

chaos Registered Member

none problem like that here.Nothing happens in my system...

7. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Windows XP SP2 - Ewido 4.0 build 151.

It ranges 3% to 47% for me when I open the gui. Then once I close it to the system tray it stops.

8. siliconman01

Even with the GUI closed, Ewido.exe rapidly cycles between 0-14% CPU utilization....every 2-3 seconds it will spike. Not nice at all. :(

9. Brandon

For me its 0% to 6%..when the gui is closed..

10. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

CPU Athlon 64 3800+

Ewido.exe always between 1%-3% while GUI closed and no action.
    Guard.exe always 0% while no action.

11. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Same here Athlon 3800+
    cpu ~1-3%

12. siliconman01

Hmmm... I running a P4 2.6 ghertz, 1.5 gbyte DRAM, on a Dell Dimension 8200.

13. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Are you sure its because of ewido.What other software is running concurrently with the ewido realtime monitor.

14. siliconman01

I closed down all programs, disabled my AV, turned off all shields in Ewido and it still spikes up every 2-3 seconds, up as high as 17%.

15. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

I fell asleep in the early morning hours while doing a long download on dialup. When I woke up, Ewido had updated and there was a message that the program needed to shut down and restart. When I clicked OK, it did restart,but there was a momentary (somewhat startling) "blinK" or "flash" of my desktop when it did. I have also noticed a similar "flash" when logging in to Windows as Ewido appears in the system tray. I did not see this happening when I had version 3.5. Is anyone else experiencing this? I will attach a screen shot of my taskmanager taken several hours after the update. This is with the guard enabled and Spysweeper and McAfee AV both running RTP.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2006
  16. chaos

chaos Registered Member

no cpu spike problems but
    heavy use of virtual memory now that I notice it ...

Attached Files:

17. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I'm running it on a Celeron, and it has spiked up to 30% sometimes.

18. Brandon

Did what you did and mine reaches 13% for the highest and spikes every 2-3 seconds like you.

19. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

I just uninstalled the beta. Whenever it updated, it made my desk top "blink" or "convulse" for a moment. It did the same thing when loading in the system tray at start up of Windows. It was becoming hard to send emails through my AOL software and it was taking longer than normal to open my Windows control panel and various folders. Somehow, I think the beta is not "playing well" with the Windows shell, but I don't know enough about that to explain. I noticed that much more K was used overall with the beta. After I uninstalleld, I tried to download/install Ewido 3.5, but I kept getting a Windows message that the installer package was corrupt or that there was an error with my disc. I download and tried 3 times. Then I decided to thoroughly clean up. I went to delete some temp files, and Windows said it could not do it because there was a problem reading the disc. I ran sfc /scannow, chkdsk /R, and defragged. Then I downloaded 3.5 again, and it installed normally. I don't understand what was going on, but it reminds me a little or the problems I had when I was using Windows Defender. For example, sometimes sending a email with an attachment or screenshot, I would have to wait 15 minutes or more for it to upload. Normally it takes about a minute. Maybe someone with more knowlege can explain this. I am going to run Ewido 3.5 for a few days to see if any of the problems happen again while I am using it instead of version 4.0. Right now, I'm very frustrated.

20. Brandon

It seems the cpu usage for me its 3% to 16% and it uses 4K - 9K mem usage when doing a scan when the gui is closed. Anyone else experience this?

21. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

That's absolutely normal... The cpu usage depends on what type of file is currently being scanned etc.

22. Brandon

It seemed to do that for me throughout the whole scan o_O ..or is that also normal?

23. siliconman01

What I experience is that if I do a scan with the GUI open, the overall CPU utilization is approximately double of doing a scan with the GUI closed. That doesn't seem to be kosher.

24. Brandon

Thats about the same problem I was observing when doing a scan..

25. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

ewido anti-malware 4.0 suspends a lot of work while it is in tray since it is only needed if the user is watching at the GUI.

This is the reason why memory and cpu usage are going down if it is minimized to tray.

Now guys I'll say it once more. We need to fix all the bugs first before we're going to improve such things as memory and cpu usage.

I know that there are things which can be improved but this will maybe cause other bugs so before making more bugs we need to fix the bugs already there.

I hope you can understand this.

BR

Edit: @siliconman01

This is really strange I'll take a look at this issue.
    BR

Last edited: May 2, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.