Help With NOD32 Installation

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Desu, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desu

Desu Registered Member

Hello,

I am trying to install NOD32 v2 (latest installer downloaded from site) on my laptop. Whenever I attempt to install it, I go through all of the options and then after I click Next for the last time, it begins to install and then the installer freezes and the process (setup.exe) uses 100% of my cpu. I had Symantec AV installed previously but chose to ditch it after I discovered NOD32 on my desktop. I have completely uninstalled the Symantec program (Add/or Remove programs uninstallation, manual search through registry and hard drives for any traces of the words Norton or Symantec, a registry cleaner, and the uninstallation tool from Symantec's website) to see if this was causing the problem since I read on these forums that the Password Manager can cause this problem, but I have never installed/used that program on any of my computers. I have also tried going into safe mode and installing from there, same thing. The strange part is although it freezes during installation, after I reboot, the control center starts up with my computer, and everything works fine except for AMON (it says there was an error initializing it and the box to enable it in the control center is grayed out.) I've tried searching google but way too many unrelated answers and I've already looked through this forum but not found the answer.

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Desu, welcome to Wilders.

How much RAM does your system have?

Cheers :D

3. Desu

Desu Registered Member

Hi Blackpear, thanks for the reply

Sadly it has only 256 MB of RAM. Although I haven't checked the system requirements for NOD32, I assume 256 MB is enough? Hmmmmm maybe I'll go check that now :) .

4. Blackspear

Do the following files exist?

C Drive> Windows> Temp

C Drive> Documents and Settings> (User Name) XXXXXX> Local Settings> Temp

Do the "Temp and TMP" folders exist in "Environmental Variables" when you right click on My Computer as per the screenshots found in this link? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=764434#post764434

When you then navigate to the folders mentioned in "Environmental Variables" are they actually there?

I would suggest the following (even though you have done this before)...

Could you please download the Norton Removal tool for versions 2000 to 2003 use this link: http://service1.symantec.com/suppor...452606?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=1#_Section1

For versions 2004 to 2006 use this link: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...iew=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg

Please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/download/commercial.html

For help with entering your Username and Password please see here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=833156#post833156

Run the 3 Norton removal tools (in the order that the website recommends) that you downloaded above and reboot your system.

Uninstall your current version of NOD32 through the Windows Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.

REBOOT your Computer.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above using “Typical Settings”.

Let us know how you go...

5. Desu

Desu Registered Member

Ok, followed all of that but still no luck:

Both Temp folders exist and Temp and TMP both exist in Environment Variables.

I downloaded both of the tools you linked to as well as the fresh NOD32. I didn't understand this part though: "Run the 3 Norton removal tools (in the order that the website recommends) that you downloaded above and reboot your system." because I only have 2 Norton removal tools (the ones you linked me to) and I did not see instructions on any website telling me to run them in a certain order, perhaps I just missed it though. What I did do is run the first tool 4 times, once for each version that it offers to uninstall, starting with the oldest and rebooting in between each uninstallation. I then ran the second tool and rebooted after doing that. I also forgot to mention something in my first post: although the installer seems to install the program to some extent (since it runs at startup), I cannot uninstall it because it is not listed in Add or Remove Programs and when I try to uninstall it through the start menu it gives me an error about an xml file (sorry I don't have the exact error on hand). I did however delete the Eset folder in Program Files and search for the strings nod32 and eset in my C:\ drive and in my registry without it finding anything.

After all of this I attempted to install again with the fresh installation file, but the same thing happened, it still freezes.

Thank you for all of your help so far Blackspear, hope we can get this fixed and I can use this awesome AV on both my computers :cool: .

6. Blackspear

They have just changed the site, there use to be 3 tools, now there is one.

This has something to do with your registry; I’m still asking questions, maybe Marcos has some suggestions…

My pleasure.

We’ll get you sorted out in time :D

7. Desu

Desu Registered Member

OK, I will await further instruction from you or let you know if I figure anything out myself. Thanks again!

8. Blackspear

What version of Symantec did you have?

9. Blackspear

Even though AMON is not running, could you please check your scan settings from posts 47 to 60 HERE and then run a "scan and clean" and let me know the results.

10. Desu

Desu Registered Member

I had Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10 that I had bought from my University. :)

11. Desu

Desu Registered Member

Well it turns out that even though the NOD32 Control Center is working, none of the modules are. Whenever I try to do anything with the NOD32 module it just sits there, doesn't do anything. So I can't scan that way, maybe I could try an online scan? :cool:

EDIT: Though I'd let you know that NOD32 has been popping up and telling me that there is a new program component update: Version 2.50.25, even though the installer I used is 2.51.30. It shows the update size as being 0 bytes, and if I choose yes to update, it just goes back to the Control Center without downloading or changing anything. Don't know if this is helpful or not, just some more information.

12. Blackspear

Could you please download and run No. 16 from HERE

13. Blackspear

Please also send me a copy of your NOD32 License that has your Username and Password in it, to blackspear @ wilderssecurity.com and I will have it checked.

14. Desu

Desu Registered Member

OK, I have that new tool running as we speak. As for my license, I haven't purchased NOD32 yet, I still have 11 days of my trial on my desktop remaining. If I can get this to install and work on my laptop I will most likely end up purchasing it after my desktop trial expires :) .

15. Blackspear

Where did you download your trial version from? As "Version 2.50.25" is not a current installer for NOD32.

16. Desu

Desu Registered Member

I downloaded from here: http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

I have no idea why it's saying 2.50.25 since I've checked the version of the setup excutable and it's 2.51.30. As for the SAV removal tool, I ran it (only with the settings that it recommended) and it restarted my computer. Afterwards I tried to install again, still no luck, same thing :( . One thing I noticed about the tool though is that is supports up to SAV version 10.0.359.0, meanwhile the installer for my SAV (I still have about 3 months on that license, I keep the installer I used handy :cool: ) is 10.1.0.238 and I'm sure I updated the program files after installation. Don't know if it matters or not, just some more information.

Thanks for all of the help so far Blackspear, I hope we can get this fixed. :D

17. Blackspear

I have sent you a Private Message.

18. faramond

faramond Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with my mother in laws athlon xp2500 machine. Is there an answer for this yet?

19. Blackspear

Yes, the above was a missing Windows file.

Please download Filemon from Sysinternals to monitor what's actually happening during installation and see where the installation stops.

Let us know how you go...

20. faramond

faramond Registered Member

I'll try that and let you know,thanks

21. tn1trycker

tn1trycker Registered Member

hi having trouble downloading NOD32 onto dell pc bought used & no antivirus program that i could find OS win2000pro after receiving lic key & user name & password wwhen i click to download i get an error message that i'm not authorized to view the web page any help would be appreciated thanks

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi and Welcome to Wilders !

From the bold I understand that the computer is second hand . If so , it is first strongly recommended that you format the hard drive and install fresh Windows . This will guarantee you no troubles / no malware problems / it will be your own computer , not like a guest over a host . I stand behind that opinion :)
    Anyway , the choice is yours . Now back to your NOD32 download problem:

License key is only received when purchasing Corporate license (e.g. NOD32 Enterprise Edition) . What is your version ?
    Make sure that you very correctly type your username and password when asked by the servers . As suggested in your mail you received from ESET , you'd better copy and paste them .
    Make sure you download the correct version appropriate for your OS and appropriate for your license , that's why I asked what is your version of NOD32 .
    If the issue persists , may be something is wrong with your license so then contact your Distributor/Reseller or
    ESET Tech Support (support@eset.com) or ESET Sales Depatment (sales@eset.com)

:thumb:

23. tn1trycker

tn1trycker Registered Member

thanks for reply the version i bought is for a singlehome comp user anyway the tech @ eset suggested that i had a browser issue and included the link for mozilla which i tried to download but when the download started i got the same error message You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the download.mozilla.org home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Internet Explorer

24. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please email the username and password for verification to support @ eset.com with a link to this thread.

25. ASpace

ASpace Guest

tn1trycker , thanks for letting me know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.