Future Changes to ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Blackspear, Jan 22, 2008.

1. patch

patch Registered Member

+1

Better still follow Microsoft convention & also offer to just notify or install.

The fact ESS immediately & brightly highlight when a Microsoft update is available but hides the fact the virus program itself in 1-2 years out of data is inexcusable IMO.

On a related issue (due to need to reduce bugs in new code releases), I would like to see ESET take beta testing seriously.

And a separate issue, it would be good if there was an easy way to see what firewall profile was currently active.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Novicex

Novicex Registered Member

Block communication after traffic exceeded its limit.!!!

3. DonVa

DonVa Registered Member

With mention of HIPS here I wanted to say pleased DON'T make it anything like Comodo! that thing drove me nuts as required too much configuringand it never shut up.
    It good for Geeks who want great security and don't mind spending time with it.

I don't.
    I took it off and bought ESS! and was much happier :)

Please keep it nice and simple and light on resources.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. kryptoncs

kryptoncs Registered Member

HIPS should be more interactive. Behavior-based protection should be increased. Cache cleaner & file shredding can be added. Cookies control and adblocking becomes necessary. Also data usage can be monitored with a good statistics. Upload & download has to be visible within the task bar with an active icon like zone alarm and comodo FW. This is my dream ESS I'll be happy if i get all these features in future ESS. Vijay-Krypton CS,Chennai

5. camor

camor Registered Member

Let the computer go into sleep mode without BSOD in Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Behavioural detection and a better firewall. Better firewall not in the sense of HIPS and leaktests like how they are tested at matousec but a better IDS. Compared to Snort for example ESET's IDS is very basic, not that I ask to make it like Snort but a better IDS would be nice. Also IDS together with the standard inbound protection and outbound filtering is more a true firewall instead of all the HIPS firewalls these days :)

7. uradodah

uradodah Registered Member

+1

There's several reasons why Symantec is usually at the top of the list as it relates to overall application performance (many factors included). I'm not a Symantec fanboy and don't use their products. I've used ESET Smart Security for some time now.

However, I recently installed Symantec's Norton 360 as well as their Internet Security product to see just how good (or bad) they performed. I almost switched after only a couple days into my "experiment."

As it relates to the quote included above, Symantec's products seem to be easier on system resources (they use significantly less memory) and there's no drop/decrease in the effectiveness of their scans (scheduled or real-time). One of the items that helps accomplish this improvement over other antivirus products is their ability to allow end-users the flexibility to select "safe" files that will no longer be scanned during real-time scans. They can still be scanned with scheduled scans, however.

I don't understand why ESET hasn't already added this functionality in an effort to compete with Symantec.

A comparison from my Windows 7 H.P. x86 rig:

Symantec = approx. 20 MB's average total memory consumption between 2 separate processes.
    ESS = approx. 95 MB's average total memory consumption between 2 separate processes (ekrn & egui).

While I've got plenty of RAM to support either application, a 75 MB difference is big enough to tell me ESET's product is not efficient at all!

While I'm still with ESET today, that may very well change in the near future if they don't make some real changes to their products soon.

8. Skywolfe

Skywolfe Registered Member

while others have listed things like antiphishing and things like that as things to add, it isn't necessary as most broswers already have this implemented.

I would like to see less of a slowdown with internet connections when Eset has been installed and is in use. Eset to me is a good product and I hope it doesn't go the route that a lot of companies have gone with url advisors. it isn't something that is needed.

9. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hey Eset
    I would really like that Parental Control is becoming a integrated solution to Smart Security.

A Sysrescure disk that is working whit Windows 7 64 bit systems.
    Right now is seems to be only working on 32 bit, because of the limations- I think in AIK. If this is the reason, then it cannot bee right that I has paid for 4licens, and I cannot use Sysrescure on any of mine windows-systems.

PLEASE A SOLUTION FOR 64 BIT WINDOWS 7.

Despite of all that - I am a happy user of Eset :D

Best Regards Woodgiant (Denmark)

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check this KB article for instructions how to create a rescue medium on x64 Windows systems.

11. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Thank you a thousand times:D
    Best Regards Woodgiant

12. hemingway60

hemingway60 Registered Member

I want ESET v5 to have a HIPS module and a stronger firewall. Its detection must be improved a bit too, how about ThreatSense® 2 technology? The interface is fine with me, its very simple. Scanning speeds must improve too. Lastly, ESET must reduce its system resource usage. Even though its quite light, its way behind Norton and kaspersky 2010 usage.

Thank you.

13. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

ThreatSense2®
    +
    ThreatSense2®PDM
    ThreatSense2®Smart HIPS
    SysInspector2®
    Anti-Stealth2®
    ThreatSense2®Net
    :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  14. databb

databb Registered Member

A lot of good ideas and improvement proposals, but is there any official update - when does ESET plan to start developing/testing the future v.5 product line?
    Because we soon will reach critical mass of ideas for v.6, I think... :rolleyes:

15. rekun

rekun Registered Member

1. Please do NOT include parental control

2. Make Eset faster as in old days

3. Focus at improveing detection, instead of including new features which nobody uses (like parental control and backup tool which dosen't belong in a security suite)

4. Do not include anti phising, as this is already included in ALL major browsers

5. Do not include anything like a link scanner og url advisor

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  16. stratoc

stratoc Guest

completley agree. don't follow the herd, seperate and become a unique ultra lean top notch product that v2 was.

17. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

..and, please, no HIPS!!

18. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

install version 2, and do not cry. Spy LK.:) This Eset Smart Security. :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  19. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

If that was directed at me, I was actually talking to any and all important ESET decision makers that might be following this thread.
    It's good that you're expressing your opinion here, but you might keep in mind that other people have their own opinions and have every right to express them as well.
    Regards.

20. rif

rif Registered Member

After less than 10 weeks (ESS 4.2.40.10 german) the the Anti Spam-Integration in Thunderbird (3.1) has gone again :'(

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Support for TB 3.1 with significant changes in Gecko should be available in the next build of EAV/ESS.

22. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

Placing in this thread that I expect that there will soon be an module for Outlook in Office 2010.
    I understand it is being considered/worked on.
    I really like ESET and thank you.
    KOR-

23. REALSupport

REALSupport Registered Member

Outlook 2010 integration!!!!!!!!!

24. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

Fully integrated now with 4.2.58. Working perfectly on my system.
    KOR-

25. Windows

Windows Registered Member

A tiny toolbar in the web-browser.Not only IE,but Google Chrome,firfox,ChromePlus etc.etc.o_O

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.