When does 4.2 come out for real?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by flateric1975, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flateric1975

flateric1975 Registered Member

When does 4.2 come out as the full retail released version?

I dont want to use the beta I paid for 2 years so I loose that time plusi worry the beta would not 100% protect me.

I want to go back to use Thunderbird 3

Using 2 again to 4.2 is out

Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Is a new beta build coming? Most AV's in Beta have multiple builds before the end of Beta stage.

4. aido

aido Registered Member

Sometimes the Graphical User Interface hangs and may be corrupted. The only way to repair it, is to restart my Computer.

Another Question: Are the Anti-Malware Database the same as it in the current purchased version?

Mode: WinXP Pro SP3

I know that Eset checked downlaoded files. It is possible to integrate an message Windows that tells me the file is Ok or not however? In the past I have tested Norton Internet Security and I found that is a good Idea.

greetings,
    aido

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Anyone?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please elaborate what problems you're having that you'd need to be fixed. I assume there are some as you're inquiring about another beta.

7. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

well as a customer I like to think there would be more than one beta, otherwise how do you test the fixes properly for the problems already reported?

8. patch

patch Registered Member

+1

Especially given last time there was one beta and then final release contained may of the same issues identified during beta testing.
    Then when the beta became a final they didn't push the program update out because of difficulties is testing on a wide range of setups.

Note both referenced threads are locked suggesting this has been a sensitive issue in the past. Perhaps ESET could take this opportunity to do something about it this time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  9. flateric1975

flateric1975 Registered Member

LOL

When I started this thread it was to ask when the next full version well be ie 4.2 out of beta into retail not how many betas they would be.

They might do 4.2.1 .2 etc or 4.3 etc

I would like to see a preview box of my e-mail inbox before they come in how ever

10. LAHarry

LAHarry Registered Member

I think its better for NOD to change the version Finals to v5 instead of v4...something, so a brand new image of NOD release in 2010.

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

It's not a brand-new image for ESET, it's a hopefully hardened product that does not have to be re-released several times yearly due to bugs, is the way I see this move.

Your choice to run the Beta is your choice and option, do not let anyone suggest that the Beta is a replacement for what you are currently running since, ostensibly any released ESET product that is non Beta is better than the Beta until it proves-out.

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I inquired for the same reason chrcol and patch did, not because I'm having problems myself ;)

13. patch

patch Registered Member

Final released on 2010-03-11 after 1 public beta we have 4.2.35.0 final, incorporating many fixes from the beta.
    But surprise surprise, it introduced some new compatibility issues
    So now the official download points to the beta 4.2.22.0 (www.eset.com.au but www.eset.com -> 4.2.35.0)

It is human to make mistakes. What is a tragedy is not to learn from them. I really do not understand why ESET chooses not to effectively use beta testing. The sensible way is to release multiple beta and ensure the last beta is virtually identical to the production software, so there is no chance of introducing new bugs not tested for during the beta phase.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well isnt "enabling Pre-release updates" beta testing in one way or another. I find they have really hit the mark with this version. Perfect? No, but they are getting close.

15. surfer1000

surfer1000 Registered Member

I was quite surprised it went from Beta 1 to Final. I was expecting more betas and a release candidate, but perhaps there wasn't really that many changes to warrant this.

I assume for the rest of the year now its going to be version 4 and that version 5 will not see the light of day for at least another 12 months ?

16. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

indeed, if was a new beta and is new bugs eset could be forgiven easy enough but to make a very simple error in not having another non final release after this basic was just incompetant. Personally I am not seeing any new issues with either 4.2 version but it seems arrogant from them to go straight from a beta to production release.

I also have an issue in the main support forum which occurs in 4.0 and 4.2 that has not had any response at all from an eset rep.

17. patch

patch Registered Member

Interestingly, the issue is not what ESET have done but rather what they have not done. I suspect the problem is one of proper delegation of tasks.

So:
    Marketing will say they need release of the new (stable) version as planned.
    Engineering will say "We would like more time."

-> version released with lots of bugs, many of which were known.

Solution:
    Someone with marketing responsibilities manages the QA and beta testing forum. Encouraging useful bug reports and providing feedback (acknowledge bugs and release beta versions with fixes). That way:
    1) Marketing know when the risk of embarrassing bugs is low enough to release the version to the general public.
    2) Beta testers encouraged ensuring more through testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.