Frozen snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by nixie21, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Let me see if I get this straight...

You can choose any snapshot to be 'Frozen' (I am guessing not the primary?)

Then anything you do we be erased on reboot (including emails and installs...)

I can see where this would be a great tool, but can be bad also if you do things and forget you are in the frozen snapshot.

So if I install something in the frozen snapshot, can I then update another snapshot so I do not loose the program? Can I update the frozen from another snapshot/archive?

Finally,

Do you always boot to your frozen snapshot or just use it for testing?

Thanks as always for the replies!

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Nixie,
    You can only have ONE frozen snapshot in FDISR, which is marked with a blue star.
    You can only freeze the ACTIVE snapshot.
    If you have already a old frozen snapshot and you freeze another snapshot, the blue star will disappear in old frozen snapshot and will re-appear in the new frozen snapshot.

Once you freeze a snapshot it will store your snapshot in the file "Freeze Store.arx".
    The folder of the freeze storage is defined in the Tools/Options/Freeze.
    The freeze function = copy/update FROM your snapshot TO Freeze storage.arx, which is in fact an archived snapshot.

If you boot in a frozen snapshot FDISR will do a copy/update FROM "Freeze Storage.arx" TO frozen snapshot.
    In other words your frozen snapshot = Freeze Storage.arx, which means that your frozen snapshot is UNCHANGED.

If you DISABLE the Pre-boot, FDISR won't execute the copy/update FROM "Freeze Storage.arx" TO frozen snapshot.
    It is necessary to DISABLE the Pre-boot, if you want to install a software in a frozen snapshot, that requires a reboot during its installation.
    Don't forget to ENABLE the Pre-boot after the installation is finished.

You can also unfreeze a frozen snapshot, with an option to remove the freeze storage or NOT.
    You can also re-freeze a frozen snapshot with means that your freeze storage will be updated with the contents of the frozen snapshot. You just use the Freeze function to re-freeze a frozen snapshot.
    So Freeze means also an updating of the freeze storage.

Anchored folders/files are NOT included in the freeze storage, which means that all changes remain even after rebooting in a frozen snapshot.
    For instance : if you anchor "My Documents" in a frozen snapshot all the changes are kept in "My Documents".
    If you don't anchor "My Documents" all changes are REMOVED, which can be very annoying of course.

At this moment, my on-line snapshot is frozen constantly, which is a problem of course if you want to keep the GOOD changes, like updatings of security softwares, but you can solve this quite safely, if you think harder
    This posts describes the problem of keeping the good changes :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170989
    I hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  3. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Thanks...

Not sure if I really want to do this....

I will have to play around.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I understand. A frozen snapshot has specific rules and problems in practice and is a total different situation, than a normal snapshot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.