Keeping the GOOD changes.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I deactivate each automatic updating of each software, especially security softwares, because automatic updatings occur at random during the day.

Then I do this every day one time in the morning after reboot :
    1. I copy/update FROM my clean archived primary (work) snapshot TO my primary (work) snapshot.
    This will remove all possible infections and malfunctions of yesterday.

2. I execute each updating of each software manually, especially security softwares.
    This will keep my primary (work) snapshot UP-TO-DATE with all the GOOD changes.

3. I copy/update FROM my updated primary (work) snapshot TO my clean archived primary (work) snapshot.
    This will keep my clean archived primary (work) snapshot UP-TO-DATE.

What do you think about this method ?
    It might be possible that Peter uses this method already or at least a variant of this method.:)
    I'm just considering this method as a possible replacement for my frozen snapshot. It's more work than a frozen snapshot and that worries me the most, because I'm quite lazy and I can't schedule them to minimize the manual work. :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Almost Erik. WIth things lilke KAV, I let them Autoupdate, because I generally skip your step one. I don't do that, because I separate my online activities into degree's of risk. If I've done anything I feel risky, then I do step one immediately.

Additionally say I am going to update 2 beta's at the same time. First I image the system, just in case. Part of that is updating the Primary Archive. THen I update/install the first new beta, and give it a brief workout. Then I update the primary archive, and update the 2nd one. At that point, if there is trouble, I may just restore the image, and retry the process in a different order and see what happens. Again if I restore the image, I also refresh the primary archive. But remember I am working with beta's so it isn't really cut and dried.

If its a routine upgrade of a commercial program, which has never given me a problem, I just update the primary archive, and go.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

Thanks, I was quite sure you did it differently. I also don't do betas and I don't run a business on my computer either. So I understand you are much more carefully.
    Well, I'm not sure I'm going to do it, maybe later. I'm still asking myself : "Do I need those good changes, if I reboot every time with a clean snapshot. ?"
    Sometimes I wished, I was a security expert to know things for sure. :D

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

That looks like a fairly straightforward routine, certainly one to consider.

5. ErikAlbert

This method might be useful, if you don't use a frozen snapshot.

If I use a frozen snapshot, I have only one question that troubles me :
    "If I restore my frozen work snapshot with an infection-free and properly working freeze storage during each reboot, do I really need these good changes or not ?".

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  6. tradetime

I suppose that depends on various things, such as what you use a computer for, from time to time, not that often but periodically, I need to update software I run from a functionality point of view.
    Also if your security, either windows, or security software, falls behind the curve although your system is recoverable following an attack, you may find you are more vulnerable between reboots. My main PC only reboots for software updates when required so maybe 6 or 7 times a year. I have been considering the idea of a frozen snap, but I think it would change the way I work too much for too little benefit.

7. ErikAlbert

You see a frozen snapshot too much as "frozen", that's your problem. Most users do, because they don't use it.

I will explain it :
    1. Copy/Update FROM "work snapshot.arx" (= archive) TO "work snapshot" is the same as
    2. Copy/Update FROM "freeze storage.arx" (= archive) TO "frozen work snapshot"

In other words "freeze storage.arx" is also an archive, just like "work snapshot.arx"
    The first copy/update has to be done manually or via a schedule on demand, but that doesn't exist in FDISR.
    The second copy/update occurs automatically and invisible during reboot, that's the only difference.

So after reboot a frozen work snapshot = freeze storage.arx.
    If you want to keep the good changes, then you start updating each software first.
    After that you click on "Actions" and "Freeze" and the "freeze storage.arx" will be updated with the recent updatings of each software.

You can update a frozen snapshot at any time by using "Freeze", which updates the freeze storage.arx

8. tradetime

Ok thanx Erik, that's a very clear explanation, would I be right in thinking that the main advantage, possibly only one, is the automation that freezing brings, ie you can't forget to revert and update you snapshots.

9. ErikAlbert

The fact that a frozen snapshot happens AUTOMATICALLY is an advantage of course, because you can't forget it.

All the other variations of copy/update have to be done manually or by a time schedule, because schedules on demand are not possible.
    Schedules are the worst part in FDISR.

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No matter here, i don't use them. I prefer to manually apply my own Copy/Updates so i can review the details of whats being replaced, added, or removed.

11. ErikAlbert

When you don't use a function, like schedules, doesn't mean that this function doesn't need to be improved.
    Time schedules aren't enough, users need also schedules on demand. If you don't use them, doesn't mean that everybody has to do like you. It's not your FDISR, it's everybody's FDISR.
    With on demand schedules you can follow in detail of what is being replaced, added or removed, because you start them manually not automatically. So your reasoning is totally wrong.

Acronis True Image and ShadowProtect have both types of schedules : time and on demand, which means they have a purpose and are wanted by users. The same counts for FDISR.

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

When schedules are mentioned for any software, that also gives the impression a user can set a time & date and it will carry out selected orders.

My reasonings are perfectly in order for the tasks i require, and they don't include On-Demand or Auto-Schedules so your comment misses the point entirely. We all have choices and that happens to be mine. Others have theirs and preferences, and wishes, and needs, and so on.

FD-ISR can improve yes, but experience dictates at some point a program is managed upon too often or at the wrong time and that's where problems can suddenly surface where otherwise they wouldn't. Not my philosophy, it's a fact of life of nearly all software programs.

13. ErikAlbert

I assume, you never worked with on demand schedules, it shows :D
    FDISR has only TIME schedules and those schedules are unpractical, if you're computer is OFF.
    We are talking about ON DEMAND schedules and those are MISSING in FDISR and since you never saw or used them, not even in Image Backup, you better try them first before you judge them. :)

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Like i said, don't use them cause don't need them, simple as that. :)

True enough.

FD-ISR is everything for my purposes i need it to be so i have no inclination to either test or use ON DEMAND because manually Copy/Paste puts "ME" in full control, not a machine that can do things behind your back without your permission. :D

15. ErikAlbert

I'm also in FULL control, when I use on demand schedules, I just don't have to choose the source and destination snapshot manually with my mouse, because it is a ROUTINE job and that's why it is scheduled ON DEMAND.
    If you like to choose the same source and the same destination snapshot over and over again, that is your choice, not mine. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.