Death to Office or to Windows - choose wisely, Microsoft

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yep, more sensationalistic journalism. Especially crap like this:

Because we all know Linux users are going to use the free alternatives instead of paying $300 - 500 for an office suite from Microsoft. And even if they did and ALL Linux users bought it, that 1% market share isn't going to bring down Windows. o_O

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not to mention that people would buy an iPad just to use Office. lol

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Maybe he was referring to Android (= Linux).

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I think he's trying to say that some people feel tied to Windows because of Office, and that making it available on Linux would allow more people to switch to Linux. This was true for Macs and I'm sure it's true for Linux also. But as noted by the article, Mac share barely increased when Office was made available, so thinking that people are going to stampede in masses over to Linux if it was available for Linux is a bit far fetched, but it does remain true for a minority.

About the article, I don't think Office or Windows will be going anywhere any time soon. I DO hope they bring Office on the iPad, though.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That may be what he meant but I don't see it. Most Linux users I have met are anti Microsoft, and the ones that aren't just like free software. I toy with Linux but would not consider switching over because of Office. Get some good games on Linux maybe.

As for Android I don't really think that was in the scope of this, but I could be wrong. If I am it is still a different platform. I am not dumping the PC for a phone, especially after having had a smartphone for the last year or so and finding myself using it for little other than a phone due to its size.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hmmm ... I use Windows but I use LibreOffice on my computers (I don't have MS Office installed). I think that this essay is one of what in England we call 'silly season' stories. Usually when journalists can't find anything interesting to write about they come up with stuff like this. I think the author, Matt Asay, definitely needs to cut down on his caffeine intake.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

People will never stampede in masses over to Linux because for the most part, desktop Linux is junk. Sure, it's fun and even interesting to play with, but for 99% of the population, it's not a viable alternative.... pretty simple.

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Is possible to use Office in Linux through Wine...

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I don´t agree, in my opinion, for majority of the population, who use the computer mostly to access the internet (e-mails, news, blogs, social-networks,chat, etc.) see movies, listen to music, etc. Linux is surely the most viable alternative.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I guess that's why it's so popular.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, my main objection to desktop Linux is that it's just too buggy and lacks quality control and polish. Most people just don't have the time or inclination to deal with the issues that invariably arise when using Linux.

I don't think desktop Linux is usable by the general population. That's just my opinion or take on it after using it for many years. Feel free to disagree.. :)

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Before this thread is closed ....

It's interesting to note that a dummy (the Linux desktop) is being propped up to punch when the main issue (IMO) is whether MSO will be provided for the iPad.

13. guest

guest Guest

So true.

14. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Linux isn't so popular because every new computer comes Windows pre-instaled.
    IMO, more problems arise when using Windows than Linux...

15. guest

guest Guest

See, vasa1? The dummy's (according to you) fanboys keep bringing "arguments", lol. So, let's correct them.

Wrong! http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14

Not true in most cases.

16. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

lol are you serious?

The vast majority of purchased computers come with Windows - any mainstream lineup from a mainstream vendor.

Windows is popular because Windows is popular - that's it. It's what you grow up using, it's what everyone is used to using.

The greatest factor in customer loyalty is fear of change.

The problems in linux and windows are really different. Linux problems tend to be a support issue - a driver isn't working because ATI or nVidia doesn't care about linux or Adobe or whoever.

Problems with Windows tend to be with developers not updating for the altest versions or malware/ exploits or just poor coding by 3rd party devs.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Then again, with Linux (community distributions), you don't get any official support. I don't know if that's how it works for all them? I know it's how it works for some, though.

Not to mention that everytime someone tells me they tried to move on to Linux and something went wrong, like issues with drivers, and they seeked out for help at the community forums, I'm always told that those Linux advanced users are nothing but arrogant.

They end up returning to Windows. They also never had complaints about Microsoft's forums support, either. They just wanted to try Linux and who knows, stick with it.

If Linux were more used, would the community support change a bit? o_O

18. Hungry Man

Some distros have official support I believe. edit: Redhat.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  19. guest

guest Guest

Excuse me, he didn't say "the vast majority", he said "every new computer". So my correction was very serious and appropriate. :D

20. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Heh. Some sales pitch it would be.
    Seriously though, with Onlive Desktop link, you can already have basic Office on Win7 'in the cloud' on your IPad. Perhaps a tad cumbersome but already there.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's a pity we don't have actual, first-hand examples. Anyway, all this about Linux advanced users being arrogant is certainly OT.

22. Hungry Man

I have first hand examples lol

"Power users" tend to always look down but never up. They can never see the people "above" them and they always think they're on top. This applies to mac users, linux users, and windows users.

But yeah, OT I guess.

23. guest

guest Guest

I don't think it's OT, if we are talking about the supposed (or proposed?) "Death" of "Windows or Office" (lol, rofl, hahaha) we need to talk about what the alternatives may offer as well.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Why not give a link? lol

Here?

25. Hungry Man

I don't exactly keep a log lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.