Linux forums and arrogance

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

For whatever reason, there's a feeling that people seeking help on matters Linux are met with "arrogance". Typically, no example is given. I haven't yet encountered this arrogance (which does not mean that it doesn't exist or never existed in the past).

I use the same username at wilders, askubuntu.com, and ubuntuforums.org. People are welcome to verify my claim for themselves. I even had just one question over at unix.stackexchange.com.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

People probably don't give examples because people don't write down when someone is an e-dick to them lol

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The perception of arrogance stems from A/B comparison typically done by someone coming over from another OS. When you will start with words like Linux is junk, not for me and it works in my M$ system or O$X, expect hostility, plain and simple.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But people keep mentioning the arrogance and it's natural for at least some other people to ask for examples lol.
    Anyway, I think we're getting nowhere fast with this lol

5. guest

guest Guest

I think this arrogance thing from Linux's supporters is by and large a myth. lol

However, the Windows' supporters may be a bit more polite because they tend to be more pragmatic and less idealistic (= smaller chance to get passionate). lol

But all I really see here are lots of lols. lol

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha i don't know what you guys think but personally i've felt uncomfortable in a forum (i think it was a linux forum) because they always say "use search". Come on people are there to get help not to be teated that way!!

7. guest

guest Guest

Attention. (A) Noob is talking. IMHO he is The authority on this issue. What he says goes. :)

Anyways, "use search" is a good answer most of the time. But as Noob(s) can be demanding, an even better answer would be this. :)

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

There must be hundreds/thousands? of linux forums...I don't get how you can infer anything from that. That said...I'm sure there is an element of egotism because of the more complicated/technical aspects (the need to know commands) involved in running linux to its full potential.

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i agree with you vasa1 you are correct many reasons behind our arrogance

1. we dont get paid :D

2. one of main reason we work very hard and dont get enough sleep :D

3. helping others many times we screw our own system :D

4. family problems

5. bad politics religions problems .....etc abra ka dabra :D

6. our family upset that our neighbour earns more then us because they dont use linux so they less busy

7. we be tease by those 24/7 who dont use linux :D

8. due to ill health bad nose .....etc we still working like a robot LOOL

9. linux people are wild cats (lions) can't be tamed women/window user try that all 24/7 time on us to get tamed.............. lol

10. out of 100 times we give up 1-2 times and put our frustration on someone...... trust me 98% time we are really nice guys :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Arrogance? Aplenty. Everywhere. In general, advanced tech people are extremely arrogant. In Linux circles, you tend to land within highly concentrated circles of such people, so you're exposed more to the attitude, and it sort of breeds itself off its own critical mass. But arrogant people are everywhere. The Internet tough guy syndrome.

But since higher competence is sort of expected in Linux circles, the bar for tolerance is much lowered. Not knowing how to edit some config file in Windows seems acceptable, not so in Linux, hence the extra dose of bull.

There's also the sense of self-entitlement, that if you managed something, everyone should. You can't do that if you're a paid worker of a big company with a strict PR policy, but you can if you develop things in your free time and feel that extra lines of code give you a political opinion, too. Much like actors talking about world views after playing in a movie that touched some sensitive subject.

Mrk

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

*Thumbs Up* :thumb:

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

from here
    I've already posted a link to the Mint forum which looks at this aspect of "search before you ask". It's a clearly stated policy:
    The Ubuntu forum and askubuntu have something similar: when you post a question, you're automatically provided with a list of previously asked questions that may resemble the one being asked.

14. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That's all very valid, and I totally support it. But, there's a difference between having those standard policies and being simply arrogant.

Just like when posing a doubt at Wilders Security Forum, we should first search the forum and see if someone has exposed the same doubt before. But, to be able to search for something we need to search for certain keywords, and maybe, just maybe, sometimes you lack a proper keyword and you find nothing.

Or, you search Google/other and also can't find nothing, because you simply didn't know how look for it, using different keywords.

Now, are you to be blamed for not knowing a better keyword(s) to find solutions to your doubt/problem?

Say that you wanted to search information about something. Tough luck, you are unable to find. You ask at Wilders Security Forum, and someone points a few links that he/she found when searching in Google/other.

Would you like to answered in a arrogant way, and they simply tell you Search Google, it's there., when you already did it so, but found nothing? Or, would you like to be pointed in the right direction?

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I still want to see an arrogant reply to a question posted by a newbie in a forum (leaving aside the Google for it response). Is it so hard?

One example that was given was given by "Midnight Cowboy" over here where they have a section on Linux. Unfortunately, I've lost that link since it was a couple of years ago.

Incidentally, the Ubuntu forum has a "report" button for various things including rudeness.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If I had Googled and didn't find something, I would include my effort as part of the question. I'd describe my difficulty in finding the relevant information.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

While I agree, there are times when one is simply frustrated and infuriated, due to not finding a solution, and after not finding anything on both the search engine or forums, people simply forget to mention they searched already. It's understandable, IMHO. Isn't it?

And, when someone, who asks for help, forgets to say I did search in Google and in the forum, it doesn't give the right to others to be arrogant.

The next time, they may be the ones who are frustrated and infuriated, and then they are treated the same way, if they forget to mention they used Google/other service (even a public library, heck) - regardless of the matter, regardless of the forum, regardless of the topic, regardless of being computer related - I'm pretty sure they won't like it either. Not one bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.