Counterspy 2.5 or SuperAntispyware 4.0??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dschott10, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dschott10

dschott10 Registered Member

I read in another thread that Counterspy might have a solution with Counterspy 3.0 in speeding up the ever slowing merging updates that seem to stop my system from any other activity. I was wondering if SuperAntispyware is a competent replacement for Counterspy or more of a backup to help support a better program. I have used Counterspy for over 2 years but couldn't find a lot of information on detection rates to help make a decision on renewing with Counterspy or trying another program.

Currently I use Comodo 3.0, Eset NOD32, Counterspy 2.5, SAS 4.0 free trying it out, winpatrol, and spywareblaster.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

My only recomendation is to stick with CounterSpy. They will work things out.

4. dschott10

I always hesitate to switch when something has worked for so long. Here's hoping CS 3.0 is an improvement in the updates area. Thanks for your replies and I'll stick with CS for now.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

My experience using the various spyware softwares is here

6. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Just from my own personal experience/testing.....nothing beats Counterspy!!! Best AS in the market today. Bar none!

I've tried them ALL and used to have 4-5 AS programs (on demand) in my arsenal....but I trimmed it down to only CS about 2 years ago and have never looked back since.

Another good AS program is SAS (free version)...but I didn't like the fact that it installed some files in Windows logon, which slowed down my start-up/load time considerably. Not sure if they improved on this or not in recent updates.

I've been virus/spyware FREE now for almost 2 years just using the combo of KIS, XP-antispy and CS (on demand....scan once a month only).

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I wish CS would target spyware in realtime by definitions instead of using a classic hips(no behaviour blocker imo). It even popsup for windows update. Therefor my vote goes to SAS. Besides in the past CS didn't do well on heavily infected systems. It's scanner would just shut down if it found too much where SAS would clean up 99% without a problem.

8. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Well If you are using Comodo Firewall with Defense+ and you are actually reading all the alerts and not just clicking "allow", SAS is probably the better choice because it is primarily has signature real-time protection, while CS also has a HIPS (which would be overlap).

9. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I'd go for SuperAS.

10. 031

031 Registered Member

Does SAS support xp 64 bit ?

11. Someone

Not yet.

12. 031

031 Registered Member

Thanks for the info .

13. Someone

Thanks for the thanks.:D

14. dschott10

I had read that alot of people get a ton of popups with Comodo but I don't seem to get many at all. I've checked everything running and its all correct but very few popups. As far as CS that never conflicts with any of my other programs as well which has been a plus.

15. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

16. Someone

17. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I'd choose SUPERAntiSpyware. Why?

* It's fast
    * Very light and resource friendly
    * Good at removing malware
    * Excellent support
    * Often updates

Counterspy may have some of these things. But I know that SAS uses lesser resources, and their support is superior compared to others..

18. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

SAS will install and function on XP/Vista 64-bit, but it will run in 32-bit mode since they are still working on 64-bit drivers.

19. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I like Counterspy the way it is. (Not that I'm not looking forward to version 3, albeit cautiously!)

The way it is means that things will be stopped before definitions are available ! And as for checking things by definitions, it would basically mean that Counterspy would place the same burden on your computer as an antivirus !

Counterspy is good for PREVENTION of infections.

If you can handle it, the Spy Sweeper (version without antivirus) is good too, the internet communication shield has prevented me from accessing malware sites. (A mistyped URL can cause a lot of trouble!)

20. Someone

I would not recommend Spy Sweeper at all. It's detection is not so good nowadays and it is extremely bloated.

You can just get free web scanners like SiteAdvisor, Linkscanner, WOT, HauteSecure, which has the same function and better protection, for free.

21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Let's agree to disagree :)

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had CS for two years and at first I really liked it. But then CS got really heavy and became unusable as a resident AS so it became on-demand only. It just seemed like my last 18 months with CounterSpy were pretty much wasted as the program always had issues and seemed more like a beta (or alpha) release than a final product. But on a positive note, the CS customer support was very good.

I now use SAS Pro and have it on all my computers. Since version 4.1 came out there have been zero issues with Vista. It is light, updates regularly, is alwaays being upgraded and (most importantly) has no issues when running. No hangs, no bsod's, etc. It is easy to forget you even have it on your computer. That's something I could never say with CS. On top of that the customer support is as good as any product I have ever purchased. Maybe the best. I don't really like the "one day only" $19.99 price as that is misleading since it shows everyday. But that is about the only negative I can think of. Heck I remember when some people started complaing about 6-8 months ago or so about how SAS was advertised as something like 40% faster than the previous version. When asked, it was revealed that the % was actually comparing that release to an original release, not the prior release. But after the complaints the ad was changed in just a day or two. See if some company like Norton or McAfee do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.