Need advice : AVG Antispyware or CounterSpy ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Olio1, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

Hi all,

I currently use Avira Antivir Classic (so without any spyware/adware protection) and I would like to have an app against them. I'm looking for a program with a real-time protection, low on resources and of course effective !

I restrict my choice to a few programs, namely AVG Antispyware and Counterspy v2.

Which one would you recommend ?

Thanks for your help,
    Cheers

P.S : I use Firefox/Thunderbird and XP Pro SP2.

2. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Id recommend to ditch both of those and get a lifetime licence for superantispyware pro instead.

3. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

Hi TVH,

Thanks for your reply but I tried SAS out and it didn't convince me. Moreover, its impact on performance (at least with my PC) was not negligible...
    That's why I restricted my "short list" to AVG Antispyware and CounterSpy.

Cheers

4. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I'd say Counterspy is better than AVG, but have you tried Counterspy? Many people report slowdowns with it. SAS is better. If it honestly slwos your machine down, get more ram!

5. TVH

TVH Registered Member

I doubt you'll have problems with spyware since your using firefox. Id also recommend to try out the new SAS Pro 4 beta - it really is very very good.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Real time feature of any known AS has a short coming of high resource consumption. Including those two you mentioned and SAS pro.

One of the better approaches is:

To use sandbox/virtualization such as DefenseWall, GesWall etc while surfing, and enlist a free on demand scanner such as SAS free, AVG AS free... as many as you wish.

With these combinations, all evils come down with your surfing will be eliminated by exiting the sandbox application. I would recommend DefenseWall--easy to use, less confusion.

Take care and good luck.

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I am currently taking CounterSpy V2 out for a trial. This thread is where I will be commenting.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just be aware some "lifetimes" can be very short. :p Personally I don't recommend anyone ever buy such a licence. Go year to year and keep the vendors on their toes.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

If

Any lifetime license is worth or at par with a two year one, then, IMO. it is a fair deal.

If the lifetime one survives beyond 2 years, then it is real BONUS--a very good deal.

Good luck.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Reminds me of the man who upon rubbing the Genie's lamp wished he had enough money to last his entire life. Of course, the Genie granted with the caveat that he had one week to live.

It is always good to have choices in life, just don't delude yourself into believing that your choices are final. Most are not. ;)

11. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Try each for a month if possible. I am aware you can get full features from AVG for 30 days. Good luck. :cool:

12. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi Olio,

Why not upgrade to Antivir Premium ? Spy/ad protection is really good

regards,

MaB

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I would NEVER recommend using a beta - unless you're a paid beta tester.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  14. jmet

jmet Registered Member

I would also suggest SAS, the latest version uses on my machine around 568k of ram versus the old 30 or so megs. A program cannot be much lighter then this and still do the job SAS does!

15. jmet

jmet Registered Member

Problem free for me and I have yet to hear of someone having issues. As I understand it the full release is due very soon.

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I'm biased :cool:

I don't know AVG antispyware.

If you have a clean and stable system, sufficient CPU speed (my computer is about 4 years old and for Counterspy the speed is fine) and a decent amount of RAM (I have 512 MB, RAM is dirt-cheap) I would recommend Counterspy.

Keep in mind, there is a setting for a beginner and one for an advanced user. And you can set your active protection level at Paranoid or Cautious (if you want fewer popups).

Counterspy has a fully-featured 15 days free trial.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

AVG-AS;)

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

For a signature based AS that I have used, I think AVG AS is pretty darn good. But when compared to some of the programs mentioned in this thread and ones like a-squared Anti-malware, it seems AVG AS has stalled somewhere along the line as far as advancements. a-squared has heuristics and IDS, and even Spyware Terminator another program have used and liked, is trying to make this "free" program one of the best possible. I'm sure Grisoft is aware of this and version 8.0 of AVG AS and AV should show this. However, for me I rather buy Ashampoo AS 2.0, which is based on a-squared Anti-malware's heuristic and IDS technology, for 9.99. Or maybe take the recent offer I got from Spy Sweeper for a 1 year license at 9.99. This offer came after the recent free version that was posted about here that some of us got, and for me ran all right. Right now I am using the PRC of SuperAntiSpyware 4.0 and it is running very smooth, which while alone may not make it worth the 19.99 price tag, the proclaimed Real Time protection it is said to have might. I don't know. Maybe try Ashampoo's Antispyware for 40 days (that's how long its trial is) and see if you think it's worth 9.99. ( you need to wait for them to send you this offer as they ask 29.99 for it initially.) I may, unless of course Nick gives me a free 1 year license to SAS. LOL. Or changes the beetle icon color. LOL.http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/product_2_0149__.htm

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I do not believe Ashampoo AS includes the IDS of A-squared.

20. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

Thank you all for your inputs, I really appreciate :thumb:

As for SAS, I know this is just a single test, but this one is not very good... I just can't understand why SAS does not include keyloggers in its database. I mean, it claims to be an antispyware program !

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/3299/07022008100029yl3.jpg

Cheers

P.S : MaB69, upgrade to Antivir Premium, why not ? It could be an alternative to AS apps.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  21. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Top three are paid. AVG As and SAS are free.

22. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

You're right but as far as I know even SAS Pro doesn't include keyloggers. It doesn't inspire with confidence...

23. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits and many other types of threats.

I recommended SUPERAntiSpyware and/or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I'm running both of those ondemand.

24. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Which version are you running? I have 3.9 Free installed and it consumes 39.668Kb on my box.

25. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I think that he means 4.0 Pre which is really light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.