Cool Web Search Problem

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Dan de Jong, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan de Jong

Dan de Jong Registered Member

I am using Windows XP & SP2 with IE 6. Having problems with "MyWebSearch" attacking my browser and Registry Value. Have installed five different spyware programs, but cannot get rid of this critical item indefinitely. It reappears every time I scan the computer.

What should I do?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, Dan de Jong.

It may be that your anti-spyware programs are not detecting and removing some of these types of products because some of them must be installed knowingly and the EULA agreed to, which most of the times grants permission for the program to continue to update and install further like software. Not all adware is unsolicited but do come bundle with other programs that you downloaded. For example, Fun Web Products bundles SmileyCentral, MyWay, My Web Products, etc., and on it goes.

Most of these can be uninstalled through the Add/Remove Programs panel. You can find removal instructions here for many of them: Fun Web Products "My Web Search" Removal Instructions and Help Then followup cleaning with Ad-AwareSE and/or Spybot Search&Destroy for any registry entries that would have been left behind.

The title of your thread says "Cool Web Search Problem", which is different than "My Web Search". If you suspect you have CoolWebSearch, then it might be a good idea to post a HijackThis log at one of the sites that do HijackThis log analysis and this type of system cleaning in case you have one of the newer variants of CoolWebSearch which would need special tools and instructions to remove.

Since we no longer provide this type of cleaning and HijackThis log analysis here at Wilders, you can find a list of sites in this Announcement post that still do.

As each site has their own posting policy for HijackThis logs, please remember to read their FAQ's prior to posting your log.

Regards,

snap

4. Dan de Jong

Dan de Jong Registered Member

Thanks for your input. Although AdAware announces the critical object as "MYWAY SPEEDBAR", I cannot find any such item on my Control Panel. Also, there is no extra toolbar installed.
    I would not be so concerned about the critical object in question, were it not for the fact that the unused disk space on my C-Drive is being reduced for some unknown reason whilst I am using the computer. I wonder if this type of spyware has anything to do with it?
    As advised, I have followed the removal instructions and subsequently instructed AdAware to scan my computer, but all to no avail: the MyWay Speedbar remains a critical item. It's a pig to get rid of.
    Anything else I should be doing?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  5. Ineke

Ineke Registered Member

6. unohu

unohu Guest

Hi,
    I also have the same problem as Dan De Jong.
    I have also had it since november too. I also cannot get rid of it. I have the exact same problem. The link that was posted did not help me. Its all about CWS not MyWay. Im still stuck with it. Please help.

unohu

7. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

Hi guys..

Its always a pain with such a crap! Indeed.

I advise you to download 'the cleaner' and update the database right after the installation.

Then scan all your harddrives with it....

http://www.moosoft.com/

Hope that helps.

Bye from Germany
    Frank

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

9. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

Oh.. and after you got rid of your problems.. your should really consider to use a different browser than InternetExplorer.

Advice:
    Firefox or Opera.

10. unohu

unohu Guest

Hello!
    I HAVE SUCCESS in removing that annoying MyWay Speedbar. What i did....was simply uninstall IE 6....and then run my Ad-aware SE and deleted the registry value.....and then reinstalled IE 6! And now it is removed! Thankyou all for helping.
    unohu

11. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

IE6...?
    :rolleyes:

12. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

That's the correct version....But I didn't think it could be uninstalled very easily??

Attached Files:

13. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

What I meant was.... I wouldn't install it AGAIN after I got finally rid of it :)

My advise is use Firefox!!!
    Popupblocker included.. And super fast!!

14. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I keep it for Windows updates only.....Otherwise it's FF for me!!!!

15. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

There is also Opera another fine browser, and easily better than IE

16. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

You better use Firefox or some other browser, DO NOT use Internet Explorer.

17. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

On a sidenote:
    CoolWebSearch and MyWay are both considered hijackers/malware, but they are not one and the same. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.