Burning CD-Rs from existing .tib file

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ganton, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ganton

ganton Registered Member

I created a single backup image (.tib file) of my C: drive onto a second hard drive. How can I now burn that file onto multiple CD-Rs? (Yes, I know I could have split the backup directly onto CDs while in the TI program in the first place, but now I don't have the option of doing it a second time.) Also, how would I add the info to make the initial CD bootable for doing a restore, and include the TI boot application (similar to the CD that you can create in the Rescue Media Builder)?

2. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

First of all, you should have split the image while creating it. You will need to make the image again and this time go to the preferences and split to the desired size.

Next, depending on your TI version, make an ISO of the boot disk. If your version wont create an ISO, make a boot CD and then use your CD burning software to make the ISO. After that, you can add the last image to the ISO file and burn it to CD. You would then burn the rest of the images to CD alone. TI asks for the last image in the set before it will restore so it is easy to include it on the boot disk so you do not have to switch twice. Just boot and point to the last image file and then when prompted remove the CD and insert the first image CD to start restoring.

I personally use UltraISO to add the image files to my ISO of the boot CD and then burn using Nero. I have a DVD burner so I can make a full back up on 1 to 2 disks depending on what applications I have installed before imaging. Newegg.com always has 16x DVD burners for around $40 shipped. I would suggest buying one... If you do, when you make your image files split the file size to 2000mb (2GB). This is the max file size to burn to a DVD using regular software... Let me know if you need more help.

3. ganton

ganton Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, DS. I probably didn't give enough info to be clear in the first part of the question. Unfortunately, I didn't choose the file split option during backing up in the first place. If I had known I'd want to burn to CDs or DVDs later, I would have picked a file size limit and split up the backup. Now what I have is just the one large .tib file on a hard drive. And the source drive is no longer in the pristene, uncluttered state it was, so I can't do this particular backup a second time. Am I out of luck, or is there a method of now splitting that file over a number of CDs or DVDs? (Using Nero, for example, to "back up the back up", with zero compression? Would that work?) Your additional info will be useful, so thanks for that, too.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ganton,

There are utilities out there that will split large files and stitch them together again. However, I'm afraid TI can't recognise an image file that has been split this way as a valid archive unless you re-assemble the separate pieces first. Clearly, this is not what you have in mind.

Regards

5. ganton

ganton Registered Member

Thanks, Menorcaman. Actually, that's exactly what I want to do ("Assemble" the split files on CDs or DVDs back to one single file on a hard drive, then restore from that single file. I just want to use the discs to get the huge file off the backup hard drive and store the discs for now). So, what programs were you talking about, specifically?

6. cutie_pyie

cutie_pyie Registered Member

dscrap,
    Would you please explain further about:
    >If you do, when you make your image files split the file size to 2000mb (2>GB). This is the max file size to burn to a DVD using regular software...

If I am using Nero 6.6 are you saying I have to burn 2 files of 2GB each
    to a DVD instead of one 4GB file?

What if I am using True Image 9.0.3677 - can it burn directly to DVD a file of 4.xxGB or do I also have to split it up into 2GB items??

Also, if I have first imaged and made 2 TIB files to HDD and then used NERO to burn them to a "Multi-session" DVD, if I then burn a 3rd TIB file and the ISO to the same multi-session DVD, can I boot off this multi-session DVD and get to the previous TIB sessions??

And re Newegg: is a Benq DW1650 OEM DVD-RW for about $35.00 a good buy? I am on the east coast and that is a long way to ship a computer part.

Tnx a bunch!

Sincerely,
    CP:-*

7. Menorcaman

Hi again ganton,

Check out WinZip (Splitting Zip files) or WinRAR (Volumes). Of the two, I prefer WinRAR's one-step method but I'm sure there are others. Be aware that splitting or reassembling a large image will take a heck of a long time, plus you'll need a serviceable system that's running the original splitting program in order to reassemble the archive (not too convenient for disaster recovery!!).

Regards

8. Menorcaman

Hello CP,

Hopefully dscrap won't mind me jumping in.

If you're using the method mentioned by dscrap to create bootable rescue DVDs then I recommend using the split size and procedure detailed in Post #269 of the thread titled <How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):>. However, if you merely wish to burn a split image to DVD then you can set the split at 4.3 GB and use Nero to burn the disks as DVD-ROM (UDF) data compilations or just drag-n-drop the .tib files to InCD formatted DVD+/-RW disks.

In this case there is no need to split the image manually - TI will split each volume into approx 4 GB chunks and prompt you for the next disk. Be aware however that Build 3677 still has some problems with imaging direct to DVD. See this previous thread titled <TI 9.0 Build 3677 Direct To DVD Imaging - NO CHANGE!!> and the associated link embeded in Post #1 for details.

I'm afraid I can't help you on this one as I never have enough space left on my DVDs to even think about trying it. If you are tempted to give it a go, let us know how you got on and make sure you use rewritable disks in case it all goes pearshape :p :D.

Regards

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Have you considered...

If you have room on your backup drive for another backup, then why not perform another ATI backup of your current C drive (spanning size images) so you will have this for archival purposes. Then use your pristine tib image and restore the C drive back to its original clean state. If all goes well, then you could delete the original pristine backup and create a new spanned size pristine backup onto your backup hard drive. You could then burn your spanned size backups to cd or DVD depending upon your choice of spanned size.

If you do NOT have room on your backup drive for another backup, then perhaps you might want to consider adding a larger hard drive--either as an additional internal; or as a replacement for your current C drive; or as a external drive. Hard drives have become very reasonable ini price and if you watch the sales at many of the major stores, you can usually find one on sale--this week or next week, etc. This would provide you with the capability of storing more backups.

Trying to do a direct burn or a restore directly from a CD or DVD is slow and not always predictable. Images storage on CD/DVD is usually best if considered as archival purposes. Recovery from CD/DVD usually work best if the image files are copied from the CD/DVD to some type of hard drive prior to recovery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.