TI 9.0 Build 3677 Direct To DVD Imaging - NO CHANGE!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Menorcaman, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi all,

Having repeated the tests that I ran on Build 3666, as far as I am concerned the results for Build 3677 are exactly the same as I reported in previous thread titled <TI 9.0 Build 3666 Direct to DVD Imaging - Still Some Problems> (including the Serial Number error when installing the update over an "Upgrade" version of TI). Anybody want some DVD-R and DVD+R images of my system drive - I've now got a collection of 16 DVDs going spare o_O :p ;).

Whilst none of the previously hilighted problems are showstoppers, Acronis do need to sort them out quickly.

Regards

2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Very good work meno, acronis should be paying you for your effort.

3. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

They owe me a little too. I went through about 15 TY's testing last week-end. (Hate to think about wasting my Taiyo Yuden)
    But it doesn't matter now. I'm getting a WD "Passport" to carry around the house to make back-ups of the 3 systems here. Getting a USB External just for all my backups ...eliminates getting into multiple DVD's (Disc Spanning), and expensive "Dual Layer" discs.

4. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I think I'll wait for the next build until I actually start testing the direct DVD stuff. In the mean time I have to figue out a way to reduce the size of my system disk so it fits on one or two DVD's. :)

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

She's an angel Menorcaman.

6. jwendell

jwendell Registered Member

I've only been able to get the direct to DVD functionality to reliably work with a Plextor PX-716A drive. All other drives don't work.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As Alexey said in the previous posts, we have forwarded the issues you mentioned to our Development Team. However, I'm afraid, the fix for them is not available in the build 3677.
    I'm sorry but the exact time frame for the fix to be implemented is not decided yet.

Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Tatyana,

Thank you for this bit of information.

I'm sure it would have been more appreciated if it were posted on July 01, 2006.

Regards,

bVolk

9. Menorcaman

Indeed, and I would have been 4 DVD-R disks, 4 DVD+R disks and 12 hours of testing better off :ouch:. Ah well, what's done is done I guess but perhaps I'll just wait for someone else to validate the next build :p.

Regards

10. Qdos

Qdos Registered Member

I only look in here occasionally, but have recently loaded up v9.1 build 3666and have been perfectly able to write restore DVD's onto verbatim media in my Plextor 712 and 716 writers.

The images restore back OK.

<snip>

I get my copies through my workplace, and am licensed - but if I was paying personal funds for this program I'd be rather unhappy with the slapdash type of PR and unclear waffle which is causing end users a great deal of confusion.
    <snip>

edited to remove off-topic comments - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I still suggest trying out DVD/CD and media building with RW versions - appreciate this might get expensive if multi spanning - but at least the only thing lost would be time - and not the use of a DVD/CD.

Colin

12. Menorcaman

Hi Colin,

Unfortunately, given the different <results obtained with Build 3633> using DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW disks, in the interest of accuracy, I feel I need to keep repeating the tests for all four types of media. After all, it's bad enough that Acronis is being accused of inadequate testing without me doing the same ;) :) :D.

Regards

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Point taken, I was sort of using it as a suggestion to other people - I used to make standard CD copies my self until one day the lightbulb clicked on and I thought - 'ahhaa this'll save me, having to use a new CD for each new version upgrade'

Colin

14. Menorcaman

Understood. In fact, for normal use, I too use rewritable media, both for the bootable rescue CD and archiving an image to DVD.

Regards

15. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Good idea! I now have a growing stack of over a dozen Boot CD's, and hadn't thought of using re-writable media for that task.

Since I am learning the ropes around here...and since zero errors seems to be key to this whole process working well, can you offer suggestions on which optical media to use? I bought what I thought was a reasonable brand -- Memorex 16x DVD+R's, but have since learned that many in-the-know suggest they only use Taiyo Yudens. My CDR's are made by Digital Media -- suggested as being quality discs by a sales rep who seemed to know, which is rare, I admit.

Will Re-writable disks be as reliable? Must keep those boot discs alive and well...they have come in handy.

By the way, how often must one create a new boot disc? With every build, I imagine, but, with hardware changes as well?

How about starting a thread with known reliable hardware and media...seems that Acronis isn't about to do so themselves.

16. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

As far as recordable media goes you might as well be asking if Ford is better then Chev (subsititute the names of the 2 popular cars where you live). Probably everyone will agree that a BMW is better than a Lada but there will be some Lada owners who claim their car was more reliable than a friend's BMW.

Memorex is seen by many as not being a reliable brand but I had good luck with a hundered or so I had. Tayo Yuden is seen as a quality disk but some people said their RW (or was it R?) offering was poor. You then complicate this by the fact that brand names are often supplied by different factories at different times so quality can vary. You will also get things like Brand A made in Japan are good but the made in Taiwan are junk. You can download a program to tell you the real manufacturer of a DVD in your drive.

I stay away from store brands and cheapies. I tend to stick with Maxell, TDK and the like. If Tayo Yuden were easier to find in stores, I'd probably buy them.

My personal experience, and that's all it is, is that RW DVDs are less reliable than Rs. I would use a RW for creating the boot CD but I'd prefer to store my images (and I don't write every image to DVD by any means) on Rs and the nice thing is they can be kept for a long time "just in case" a file goes missing. I use my PC as a digital VCR and I burn the captured TV programs to RW but that isn't valuable data.

I would never bother putting any image on an optical disk without verifying it.

The bootCD needs to be created with each build; this is the only way you get the bug-fixes on the boot CD version for that build.

17. Menorcaman

Hello Christopher,

As seekforever says, no doubt we each have our own favourites :). Over many years of using CDs/DVDs, and having also digested numerous magazine comparative reviews, I've settled on Verbatim for all my optical media. As well as proving extremely reliable, Verbatim media is readily available (and at a reasonable price!) on this small Mediterranean island.

I also agree that CD/DVD+/-RW is generally perceived as being less reliable (both for burning and longevity) than CD/DVD+/-R. However, for me, burn reliability has never been a problem as far as recording large image files are concerned. I always burn at half the rated speed of my burner or the media, (whichever is the lesser) for the reason I've often stated in the past. As far as longevity is concerned, it's not a factor I bother about as all my important data is backed up in parallel to dedicated internal and external hard drives. In any case, as a 63 year old retiree, any optical media could well outlive me :p ;) :D.

Regards

18. seekforever

I'm only a year behind you and I don't know whether to laugh or cry when after fixing something, thinking that's probably the last time I'll have to do that! :doubt:

19. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

And I am just a decade behind, and have so much to look forward to! :eek: Just when I think I can get down to editing all those photos I took of the family of red-shouldered hawks in the woods behind my house, I find out that my system isn't robust. I knew my back wasn't, but, hey, let's just get this backup thing licked. Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Verbatim, huh?

Thanks for your insights. I prefer Honda, myself, having had a Saab 9-3 for years that was a great car to drive, yet continually needed infusions of cash to keep it running. If Taiyo Yuden is as good as Honda, or Toyota...then, they might be worth the price.

I'm trying to figure out who makes the reliable media, and hardware, for that matter. If I find that program you mentioned to ID optical media manufacturers, and they say, this disc was made by Optical discs of Atlantis, how will I know if their water-cooled technology is really best?

Sounds like very sound advice. Though, from what I've gathered, just because an image verifies, doesn't mean it will restore properly, from DVDs, or USB. Again, I understand that my iffy subsystems may be the culprit, and, I am considering buying a new motherboard to remedy that situation.

But, I'm trying to do this economically, without staying wedded to what seems to be a weak controller subsystem on my motherboard (nVIDIA nFORCE2), at least when it gets pushed heavily, creating and verifying TI images.

Sounds reasonable, and I have done that with each build. I still wonder how, or if, any changes I make to my system configuration (hardware, drivers, bios) effect the contents of the Acronis boot disc. I also use DD 10, and OS selector, and think I should best create fresh boot discs, at each change. If I move a SATA HD from the mobo to a PCI controller card, reactivating OS selector is needed, and since Windows wants me to reinstall drivers, I wonder if any changes would occur that would effect the TI boot disc?

Is there a way to go look, without having Linux know-how? Are config files accessable, so one can see what changes are made to these boot discs? Or, best left alone? I don't mind spending the money for a CDR...hey, at an hourly rate, that's nothing.

Still hoping to get back to editing photos soon, and know that my backup situation is all set, tested, and reliable. With a new motherboard, if it takes that. If I could just figure out who makes the best ones. Thinking MSI...now this is off thread...sorry...should you care to comment on my hardware issues, I have a thread @ mobos and SATA cards and such at:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=786562#post786562

Thanks, again...

20. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Sighhhh
    Im only 25, So I have to keep thinking this (incorrectly of course) for so many more decades...Especially with back ups, system builds and network configs.

21. blegs385521

blegs385521 Registered Member

Two points.

First - do not advertise the ability to perofrm backups to DVDs without 3rd party software unless you can truly perform this feat.

Second - when you come out with a new build, state clearly on the web site what the new build does, and does not do with respect to prior builds. That will save us all a lot of trouble and time in the future.

Good product - poor communication and support, I'm sad to say.

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As Alexey said in the previous posts, we have forwarded the issues you mentioned to our Development Team. However, I'm afraid, the fix for them is not available in the build 3677.
    I'm sorry but the exact time frame for the fix to be implemented is not decided yet.

Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva[/QUOTE]

22. seekforever

I'll certainly go along with poor communication but not the support. While everybody has their support horror stories I think Acronis is quite responsive and I wonder how many people who complain about Acronis have tried getting support from other vendors, particularly large ones, on "home" products.

23. Craig_in_TN

Craig_in_TN Registered Member

Well, I bought the download version from Newegg, so I guess a refund is impossible. Three months now, and I haven't been able to backup anything, only wasted about thirty dollars worth of various media. I wish I had followed Menorcaman's posts beforehand, as that would have saved me a lot of grief!

Now, my question is, is there a backup/imaging program out there that DOES work?

24. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Clearly not a question to pose or answer in the Acronis Support forum since it is, in fact, here for Acronis support issues.Other software can be discussed in software and services.

25. Craig_in_TN

Craig_in_TN Registered Member

Understood, and I apologize. I'm just extremely frustrated by this software that so many reviewers rated as #1, only to find it doesn't work and I can't get a refund. All I can get are canned responses telling me to do the things that I had already told them I did (as well as the extremely obvious) and promises of 'the next build'. Meanwhile, my important files are stuck on unreadable dics, and I have no secure backup or image. I don't have the money for an external HD, and I'm not sure that would help seeing the amount of people having problems with that avenue!

BTW, thank you for the link, as I wasn't aware of the other forums here other than Acronis.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.