Browser that includes function like NoScript???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chinook9, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

My Firefox has slowed up a lot and I thought I would like to check out another browser however, I really like NoScript. I like that it locks down the scripts and its really easy for me to right-click and click on allow or temporarily allow.

Do any of the other browsers have a function that blocks scripts and makes it easy to allow them?

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

There has been some discussion about IE & script blocking on Wilders here.

There is always SeaMonkey of course, which has NoScript ported for it.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Can't you just fix the problem rather than switch browsers?

4. Solemn

Solemn Registered Member

Any of the chrome variants are also viable with the extension ScriptNo; I've found that to work quite well during my chrome experience.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

:thumb: Obviously something is junking up the browser if no trouble was had before (making an assumption the poster is on the latest FF release).

6. Daveski17

I had some crashing problems with ScriptNo on Chrome & Iron, so I was reluctant to recommend it. That was on my notebook, it may have been specific to my set-up though. I didn't progress any further with it.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

NoScript's features are essentially:
    CSRF
    XSS
    ClearClick

Whitelist of scripts, objects, frames, etc

ScriptNo has no CSRF, XSS, or ClearClick but it does provide whitelisting. Chrome does have XSS and CSRF built in - no ClearClick.

I like ScriptNo for the referrer spoofing.

Just make sure you use the experimental version and understand that it's a bit "beta"

8. Solemn

Solemn Registered Member

Ah I see, it's certainly a hit and a miss sometimes depending on the situation. Guess I'd agree with Hungry Man on his description of it, though I'd say this extension has a fair bit of potential out of other chrome versions.

9. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Thank you for all the recommendations. I will first try to fix Firefox and if that fails I will try chrome with ScriptNo. I may even try SeaMonkey....that being said, I suppose uninstall and reinstall of Firefox is something I should try.

Thanks again.

10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Some more features of NoScript:
    1. ABE (Application Bounderies Enforcer)
    2. noscript.removeSMILKeySniffer - Protection against scriptless keylogging using SMIL animation elements that are triggered by keystrokes.
    3.noscript.forbidBGRefresh - blocking background tab refresh (tabnapping protection)
    4. Automatic Secure Cookies Management
    and I'm sure there's a lot more.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

When I have fixed FF in the past, I have saved my bookmarks, made note of any custom settings and extensions, then uninstalled FF (including all profiles!)

I rebooted, installed the new FF, imported my bookmarks, installed my extensions and tweaked my settings. Always worked for me...

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Not sure it qualifies as easy, but give a portable version of K-Meleon a look. Take a good look at the privacy bar and see if that's what you have in mind.

13. woomera

woomera Registered Member

Opera has a built-in function similar to noscript. in fact i believe its even better than noscript.

14. Daveski17

Is there anything on the Opera website about this function? I haven't ever heard of anything like NoScript on Opera. You can set Opera up to have a visible on/off toggle for the Javascripting, but AFAIK that's about it. The only thing I can think of is NotScripts, which hasn't been developed for quite some time.

I seriously doubt this.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

In recent versions, you could control scripting in Opera site by site but it's not the handiest. Cookies were similar. Controllable but not handy. I can't speak on the latest versions. Once they started forcing Unite changes onto the Windows Firewall settings, I was done with it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.