Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

Perhaps your hardware isn't compatible? MS stated they won't offer it unless that is the case.

2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Seems unlikely, newish Dell XPS 13 (with Win 10 Home, 'metered' off)), and ThinkPad Yoga S1 laptops (with Pro, set to 'Semi Annual Channel').
    (Yes, and an ancient HP netbook which has still updated to latest V1803 build at least :)).

I suspect if I expressly did a 'Check for updates' v1809 would appear, but I'd rather avoid the problems I had before (on TP Yoga at least - stuffed the BCD, and had issues with MR restore).

Edit: Lol, imaged and explictly checked for updates on all machines; Feature update v1809 only offered on ancient HP netbook!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  3. itman

itman Registered Member

You sure you haven't inadvertently blocked the 1809 update on the those other devices using a third party tool or registry hack?

4. paulderdash

No - not consciously anyway.

May try Update Assistant over the next few days ... or just wait for 19H1 :isay:.

5. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Did updates on both Win 7 computers. No problems so far. :)

6. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi @ Wilders

Got a couple of problems, possibly issuing from recent update from 1709 to Win x64 OS1803 Build17134.648 and/or March Windows update.

Security software:- BitDefender Free, OS Armor, VoodooShield. On demand, Malwarebytes, HitmanPro

Grateful for any commentary or help.

Problems:

1) I am unable to change Power setting from Balanced to any of the options. They are not saved when selected and "Apply" is greyed out.

This problem is evident on the internet forums and I have tried a number of potential solutions without success ie sfc /scannow, DISM. Powershell etc and more.

2) I went into Safe mode to check whether I could change the Power setting there, however I found another problem, that I could not type in Cortana or the search box. YET I can type in them in NONE SAFE mode. This problem is again evident on internet forums and I have tried several solution but all have failed.

I have restored Reflect images to just after the installation of 1803, but do not want to go back further because then I have to deal with the installation of 1803 again.

Any help gratefully received.

Terry

7. paulderdash

Edit 2: OK, setting Pro machine to 'Semi Annual Channel (Targeted)' worked there, but Home machine remains a mystery. Perhaps there is still an incompatibility.

8. RangerDanger

RangerDanger Registered Member

Has uninstalling KB4482887 stopped Windows 1809 freezing issues for anyone? I get freezes on videos,mouse and desktop even after a clean install and updated drivers.

9. anon

anon Registered Member

Which AV in use?

10. paulderdash

Nope. Same issues I had right at the beginning, new BCD entries, and some other wierd stuff - security centre service won't start, have to relogin to network, etc. etc.

It's like it doesn't upgrade, but installs a whole new Win 10 alongside the existing one.

Back to v1803, and non-'Targeted' :isay::D.

Much as I would want to avoid it on this highly customised machine, I may have to do clean install with 19H1. Maybe try some other things first, like clean boot, Update Assistant, etc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  11. RangerDanger

Windows Defender.I get freezes on You Tube and sometimes the mouse or desktop will lockup but work in a few seconds.The KB I mentioned was not offered to me yet.I hate messing with drivers but took a shot with Driver Booster.Problem was present before Driver Booster so there's really nothing to lose.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

I see. Because Avira fixed a similar bug recently =
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/avira.345492/page-217#post-2813928

13. RangerDanger

14. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

You can try Fix #2
    https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/28620/antimalware-service-executable/

See if that helps you.

15. RangerDanger

16. Azure Phoenix

17. paulderdash

Yes, both. Home machine is Intel Core i5 8250U, Kaby Lake-U/Y, with Intel UHD Graphics 620. Could be a block there.

(And my Pro machine is Intel Core I7 4510U, Haswell ULT, Intel HD Graphics ... but I have a different issue there. I noticed that the WU Feature Update had 'amd' in the name (Win10 v1809, amd64 2019-03) :eek: - maybe that's why it's seemingly installing another Win 10 alongside the existing one .. ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  18. paulderdash

OK, Update Assistant with clean boot worked (not sure which one did the trick!). :thumb: Took 4 hours though.

Up to date at last on my my Win 10 Pro, ThinkPad Yoga laptop. :)

Wondering whether to do the same on my Win 10 Home, Dell XPS , rather than wait for WU, but there may be a legitimate block.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

@paulderdash ,

I used Media Creation Tool > 'Update me now' tool on one my machines that refused to up date to 1809 and have had several BSODs since on that machine. It has regularly failed to boot and in the end it would not boot at all with constant BSOD after BSOD. I Reset the machine, reinstalled some programs but chose to keep Windows Defender as the AV. For the first few restarts and cold starts (Fast Startup disabled) it ran fine until... that machine has failed to boot once again, although it did start last try.

20. itman

itman Registered Member

I have had "weird" like behavior in the past but it also occurred prior to 1809. In every incident, I traced it back to Fast Startup option.

I also believe there might be a hardware factor involved. I have an old IDE DVD writer that caused issues on Win 10. The issues became more severe starting with 1803. I now keep that drive disabled in Win 10.

21. paulderdash

Will monitor, and await weird behaviour. :isay::eek:

22. RangerDanger

I had to clean install 1809 on my Toshiba Satellite.Its running o.k.I think the freezing I was having was not enough virtual memory so I raised it up a little bit more.Need a couple of days to see if its completely fixed.This build is more labor intensive than any other I have used.

23. Azure Phoenix

I imagine than if a user forces an upgrade then he/she should be prepare for potential issues.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Fast Startup SUCKS! At least they have stopped forcing it on lately. I have seen all kinds of weirdness from USB issues to sound issues to network issues, etc. It just doesn't work. It's even worse on desktops than on laptops. Every time something unusual happens it is the first thing we check.

25. itman

itman Registered Member

Best practice here on Win 10 is to use the size Windows recommends. Forgot about all those old "tweaks" for prior OS versions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.