Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The upgrade from 1803 that I did 2 days ago didn't come out so good (too much excess cpu usage in video and elsewhere in general), but just did a clean install of 1809 today, and everything is much better... in fact, so far, no issues at all.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They are all Pro. That said I do have 2 test machines we keep on the Fast ring of the Insider program, and the issues are minimal, even for those. Except for the 19H1 build they just released to the Fast ring. Failed 3 times to install.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This has been the easiest upgrade, everything works perfectly, even one of my printers' drivers which normally needs to be re-installed, is working fine. As a precaution, I uninstall all security-related programs to be on the safe side...

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

How come? Couldn't you use a cable with 2 IDE connectors and attach both devices as primary and secoondary to a single IDE channel? Wait, you're still using a floppy drive?

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Here's why: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/confCable-c.html

Installed primarily for BIOS flashing. Present have it disabled in the BIOS since it made all kinds of ungodly racket when I booted. Also Win 10 really doesn't like floppy drives. Guess I will have to one of these days disconnect the cable from the MB and connect regular IDE drive cable and connect that to the Pioneer IDE drive. I am getting extremely lazy in my old age.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've noticed thru the years with 10 that for me, an upgrade for some reason introduces excess cpu usage in general. I have always assumed that it's just the nature of the upgrade process for it to be sometimes good, and sometimes bad. So I usually almost always end up doing clean installs, and after that, things are peachy... :)

That said, I have noticed that Edge definitely has some quirks and issues in 1809 that it didn't have before. Edge is always a bit buggy, but historically, it has always given me great Netflix video with very low cpu usage. With 1809 something has changed. So I'm using Firefox instead now.

But overall, everything else seems fine so far....

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

During the 90ies I worked in a PC repair shop and I must've assembled hundreds of PCs. I haven't used an IDE cable for years now, though I still have them lying around somewhere. Yes, floppy always used a dedicated, narower IDE cable. I just erased that info from my mind.
    :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  8. ozbadcat

ozbadcat Registered Member

WIN7/KB2999226

I was just checking my windows updates and I see a strange addition - kb2999226 dated 4 October /2018 - which appears even though my updates are set to "Never Check For Updates " as I manually download the ones I want and I sure did not download this .intentionally.... anyone else o_O??

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  9. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Have you read the KB2999226 knowledge base article? It says:
    Is there any change you installed or updated some software that uses Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and/or that is (otherwise) dependent on the Universal CRT, possibly?
    It is the only explanation that I can think of.

I don't get KB2999226 offered, as I installed it years ago.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Appears Win 10 RS5 update has been totally pulled from the update servers. I checked via manual Win Update check and it was not served up. Hurrah, hurrah!.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I restored an image of 1803 today, and when it checked for updates, 1809 was not there... MS finally got smart! :)

12. RangerDanger

RangerDanger Registered Member

I think the Intel Display Audio driver that I let Driver Booster update right after upgrading to 1809 caused my system to freeze and blue screen.The driver was not one on the list(a few) so it may be a bigger issue.Ran a backup and installed again without the display audio driver update and its running fine.I just hate killing time trying to fix this stuff but things happen.

13. itman

itman Registered Member

https://www.askwoody.com/

14. RangerDanger

I forgot my backup was for 1709.I updated to 1803.Good now I can block 1809 until the dust has settled.

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

On SSDs with TRIM enabled data recovery would probably be problematic if not impossible.

16. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Can't imagine how such major issues get past all internal and 'insider' testing. :eek::isay::cautious:

17. guest

guest Guest

Because many so-called "testers" aren't... They don't reports or dont even know how to send logs... They just want use the latest builds.

18. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Was it already available that way?

I thought I read somewhere that it would be released for Windows Update on October 9.

EDIT: Hm, Microsoft is offering version 1803 (instead of 1809) of the Media Creation Tool again. If I run the previously downloaded version 1809 it complains that it is outdated and forces me to download 1803, so it does look like they pulled 1809...

EDIT 2: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/...ocuments-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  19. guest

guest Guest

The "data deletion" issue has already been reported by Windows Insider beta testers several months ago :cautious: #4230

20. itman

itman Registered Member

I am on Win 10 x(64) 1803 Home. When I did a manual check for updates on Oct. 3, WIN 10 RS5 upgrade was downloaded.

Auto Win 10 updating has never worked right on my PC. At most, I would get a notification that an update was available but I would still have to initiate a manual update check to get the update to download. I have run all the update troubleshooters, DISM, etc., etc. to no avail.

So it might be that the auto updater was not serving up RS5 till Oct. 9. Someone that has auto updating working properly will have to confirm this.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

How are you doing that? As I posted previously, wushowhide doesn't work for me. It isn't even attempting to dial-out to check for updates.

22. itman

itman Registered Member

From the above Verge linked article:

"Windows 10 is tested by millions of people"

Yes, by those with Home versions who the upgrades are forced up and have no way to defer them.:ouch::mad:

23. RangerDanger

The amount of time being wasted by users trying to fix Microsoft's mistakes is a disgrace.

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Before the "agile" revolution, the updates were always rock solid. I haven't seen one use case, across the entire industry, where the rapid development cycle leads to anything but chaos.
    Mrk

25. itman

itman Registered Member

I consider Microsoft's free giveaway of Win 10 Home, one of the greatest marketing ploy of recent times. It very much signifies that old truism, "you get what you pay for." Using another truism "beggars can't be choosers," Microsoft's stance is "put up or shut up;" put up being fork over your money for an upgraded Win 10 version.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.