Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Perhaps in your opinion you think that way, however, others in the industry are reporting Win10 1809 problems, for example:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/problems-with-windows-10-october-2018-update/

Just because your PC, or mine, does not have any issues, does not mean other PCs are behaving the same way. The more reporting, the better for visitors to this forum.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

Yes, you have the right as always!
    However, if I do not die under the car and you also do not die in a car accident, there are still those who are dying. Even millions every day. Consequently, cars are one of the most unsuccessful things in the world and should be banned quickly and permanently for ever.
    This You wanted to say?

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I fail to see the correlation between a legitimate, current PC issue and a car. Please let's keep the discussion on topic: Windows 10.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-october-2018-changelog

5. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft pulled the Windows 10 update that has been deleting files
    A link to the October update has disappeared while it checks things out
    October 6, 2018

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/06/windows-10-october-update-delete-pulled/
    Edit:
    Data-deletion bug forces Microsoft to suspend rollout of Windows 10 update
    The bug had been reported by insiders, but it looks like nothing was done about it.
    October 6, 2018

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-latest-windows-10-update-over-data-loss-bug/
    Edit 2:
    Windows Insiders reported the Windows 10 file deletion problem to Microsoft months ago

October 8, 2018
    https://betanews.com/2018/10/08/win...ile-deletion-problem-to-microsoft-months-ago/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2018
  6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Windows 10 updates - One step forward, one step back

Less is more. I etched this fine new article discussing the pros and cons of the Windows 10 updates mechanism, comparison to older versions of Windows, the upcoming changes and improvements, and a conceptual problem with the reinvention of the technological wheel. Or as Shakespeare wrote, much ado about nothing.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-updates-progression-regression.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I mostly agree, but previous versions of Windows were not completely free of update problems. You will remember service packs; they were infrequent compared to Windows 10 feature updates, but they took time to install, required at least one reboot and occasionally failed with sometimes serious consequences. We did have a lot more control over if/when service packs installed, but unfortunately that sometimes resulted in some people never installing them which eventually caused security and compatibility problems. Still, removing control over updates to force everyone to install them brings its own problems as we are seeing.

I feel the underlying problem with Windows 10 is that Microsoft is treating it like an app. They keep adding features and touting what all we can do with it instead of letting it just be an OS. It used to be enough that the OS was a platform that you installed applications on and the thrust was stability and compatibility. If you wanted features you installed a relatively small application. Now the whole system is disrupted and put at risk to add features; not good:thumbd:

8. Mrkvonic

I remember the sp updates, and they were way faster and more reliable.
    Mrk

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Totally agree... the way MS is doing things now in 10 is just insanity.... as soon as I saw what they were doing 3 years ago, I knew it wouldn't work, and that in time, the entire system would crumble around it. If they had ANY intelligence at all, they would scrap 10 and pick up the Win 7 source code and continue from there... but we all know that will never happen, right? :)

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

:thumb: Agree. And home users are the guinea pigs. And corps, their bread and butter, don't need or want the features.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

And in the process of scrapping 10 they should work to recovering the series they skipped. As in Windows 9 IMO.

That skipping past a Windows 9 raised a huge red flag for some of Windows users

12. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft moves printer drivers to Windows Update
    October 07, 2018
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/07/microsoft-moves-printer-drivers-to-windows-update/

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I thought Microsoft just didn't want to be one number behind Apple :rolleyes:

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

:thumb:

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This was explained years ago. Windows 95, 98, etc. were often identified as version 9.x (instead of the 4.x it should have been though either was an option) so duplicating that number would cause issues with a LOT of outdated software that would think it was running on Windows 95.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I didn't know that, thanks

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. Mrkvonic

And people often scorned me when I said automatic updates should not be enabled - roughly 10 years ago ...
    Mrk

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Rather than everyone panicking over the greatly exaggerated issues with this update, how about taking a system image and on the rare chance you are affected by the deleted documents issue, restore them from your image. On the 10 PCs I have updated so far, still no issues.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The handwriting was clearly on the wall 10 years ago, and the foretelling of what was very likely to happen. And by golly, she happens somewhat frequently anymore.

Automatic updates- noop, they are just not there (reliably safe) yet if ever.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The issues were so greatly exaggerated that MS pulled the 1809 update completely.... :)

23. itman

itman Registered Member

As far as the metered connection option to block the 1809 Feature Upgrade on the Win 10 Home ver., it will only block the installation of it. It does not block the downloading of it. Thank you MS dork head.

24. Seer

Seer Registered Member

While I wouldn't say that erasing user documents (even if it's only 1 user) is an exaggeration, those who did not have the issues and removed 1809 are most certainly having a paranoid fit. The update is now "tainted", who knows what else might be lurking in there.
    Homo sapiens is a species whose psyche is strongly susceptive to suggestion.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

On my brand new HP laptop 15-da0012dx, I switched to a Wi-Fi metered connection upon purchase 30 days ago, and so far, nothing has been downloaded, unless I check for updates. The exception has been the HP Support Assistant with various drivers & HP software updates being downloaded (as chosen by me) and installed. Just FYI.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.