Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 (KB401543) installed smoothly.

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi JR,

I can't help on this, I don't have an AMD based system. Alas, as far as I could see, no posting about it at AskWoody.

If you would allow me and on a different issue (on Intel based system):

Win 7 64-bit (Dutch):

After having done the March 2017 MS-updates (and run my file-integrity-checkers and made a backup-image) I looked at the optional MS-updates. I saw two optional updates for Intel - System:
    Intel - System - 6/28/2016 12:00:00 AM - 14.35.1.69
    Intel System driver update released in June 2016
    Gepubliceerd: 5-12-2016

Intel - System - 8/19/2016 12:00:00 AM - 10.1.2.80
    Intel System driver update released in August 2016
    Gepubliceerd: 11-3-2017

I was curious: would they install? (I had last year failures with installing Intel graphics updates provided by WU). No failure this time.
    I ran my file-integrity-checkers. I noticed files related to:
    haswellsystem
    lynxpointsystem
    xtuacpidriver
    (I doubt whether folks are interested in the full info so I leave it by that).

Anyways, I decided to put back the backup-image having read:
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...ch-intel-system-8192016-120000-am-101280.html
    and https://www.askwoody.com/forums/top...tel-system-8192016-120000-am-10-1-2-80-patch/

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Suddenly couldn't stream anything via paid Store app. Did all this troubleshooting and scanning for all these different Store errors --nothing. Later, checked for Defender defs and kb 4015438 had downloaded and was waiting for installation. For the rest of the night, still could not stream via Store. The servers couldn't accommodate it. Today, it works. :isay:

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, I'm waiting to see if Woody (or someone) talks about this one as well.

What's weird is that I received another update, published 3/19/17, for the same thing, so now, I have 2 similar ones sitting there. :blink:

5. guest

guest Guest

All updates installed smoothly here as always.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

7. anon

anon Registered Member

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

These updates are previews. There is no need to install them. Next month these preview updates will be sent out as the April monthly rollups, so it is best to wait for them to be sent then. If you have one of the 'banned processors', do not install the April Monthly Rollup or you will no longer receive any more windows updates. I can see no reason (at this time), why the April Security-only updates would not install on these systems because they are not sent via the windows update service.

I do not consider this a bork. It is MS following through on a policy they announced for new gen processors. MS is being MS. They want W10 on these new gen processors and are using this method to make sure it happens.

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

People that missed that announcement and installed Win7 on their new machines might get upset. They will have to either use system with no updates or pay MS to upgrade to Windows 10.
    I agree that security-only updates will have to be installed on those systems (hoping that MS won't include proc. gen. detection update in that package also).

10. guest

guest Guest

Is the "manual installing" of new updates blocked too? Or is it only blocked via Windows Update :doubt:

11. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

For now, as far as we know, just windows update.

Edit: In April we may know more. It is possible that MS will slip something into the Security-only bundle to prevent MSU files from working as well. If that happens I am sure someone will come up with a way to manipulate the Windows Update Mini Tool to get the updates. DISM is also a possibility to get Windows and Microsoft Updates. Ghacks is a good site to follow on this.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  12. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Microsoft released a new cumulative update for the company's Windows 10 operating system, KB4016635 that patches two issues.

The update is not available through Windows Update, but exclusively available on the Microsoft Update Catalog. It is unclear right now whether Microsoft will make it available through Windows Update at a later point in time.

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/23/wi...ate-released/?_m=3n.0038.1986.jv0ao05qpb.22gm

Microsoft did release a patch for Internet Explorer 11 as well that fixes the issue on earlier versions of Windows. You can find out more about the patch on the KB4016446 support page on the Microsoft website.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. itman

itman Registered Member

Microsoft's defense:
    Will be interesting to see how it plays out in court. The forced upgrade is in itself a major point. Also I don't recall the roll back option being anything prominently displayed or easily accessible for that matter.

Hopefully the litigant count will be into the millions:thumb:

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Don't hold your breath. This lawsuit will take many years to resolve, and Windows 10 might be obsolete by then. Plaintiffs are demanding trial by jury.

Re: www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Windows10.pdf

17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

MS may regret having offered W10 for free via Windows Update. I have read a few blogs on this and it appears to me that if MS had have created a new website with a page about the new OS and Windows as a Service, this fiasco would have never arisen. Users could have taken advantage of the free offer (GWX), but most importantly it would have been an informed decision. A DOWNLOAD button with install instructions would have shifted the responsibility for success to the user.

The problem as many have articulated in the various blogs is that most consumers are not tech savvy and rely on what has been installed on their system to work. They use default settings. MS relied on Windows Update being set as the default to download and install all recommended and important updates, so they took advantage of this to deliver W10. I agree with other users and bloggers who have commented on this lawsuit ... Windows Update was used as a trojan horse to disguise W10 as maintenance. In some cases it caused damage, in some it caused anguish or confusion and with others it led to a lot of wasted personal time to determine what had happened and what to do to about it.

MS will no doubt refer to the rollback option and the fact that 200 million successfully converted to W10 even though windows update was used to deliver an upgrade as 'maintenance'. I have no affection for class action suits but as Microsoft has the means to defend their position and the plaintiffs are numerous, maybe this is the only way to proceed. In reality, I agree with others on this - it will be settled out of court. MS would be insane not to do so.

18. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Internet Explorer 11-only user here. :cool: Experiencing IE crashes in Windows 10 and was following this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working.392983/
    However, the issue is specific to someone who uses Windows 7. Someone else did point out kb 4016446 was a patch for IE11. Did anyone experience IE crashes, install this kb and find that it fixed it? IE did stop messing with me recently but still would like to know. :)

Edit: Nah, never mind. It's not that big a deal. It may not even apply to my situation, it seems. If it keeps happening, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

21. itman

itman Registered Member

No problem w/Logjam test for IE11 on Win 10 x64 1607 w/patch installed.

22. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

That's odd. What could be the cause of that?

Same here on Windows 7 x64 with IE patch installed (as part of KB4012215 rollup), no problem with SSL Labs Logjam test.

23. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I ran the test on all my systems. I have the patch(s) installed, no vulnerability found.

24. itman

itman Registered Member

A bit more info and a separate Logjam test here: https://tools.keycdn.com/logjam . It basically tests for use of a cypher less than dh1024. Also some browsers, Chrome I believe, are now warning if any cipher less than dh2048 is used. Primarily it is a server issue, but the browser should detect the insecure connection.

25. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.