Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Flawless Win 10 updates on two machines, it took about 15-20 minutes altogether...

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Stupendous Man , tanks for information , so the november 2016 is clean , that's a good news
    i have't HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows datacolletion
    thanks again

hi
    is there a list of update about windows 10 ? is there a fix for photoshop ?
    thanks

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I think we cannot be sure, yet.

As I mentioned in my previous post, nor the KB3197868 knowledge base article, nor the Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 update history page, mention the details that were in the knowledge base article for KB3192403, October 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and that I mentioned in my October 18 post in the No more individual patches for Windows 7 and 8 thread.

And with installation of KB3197868,
    Diagnostics Tracking Service (DiagTrack) was not re-enabled (*),
    and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection key was not created.

So, everything looks OK.

However, I think we cannot be absolutely certain, yet, that the November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup does not include and add the telemetry that was mentioned for KB3192403, October 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

As Woody Leonhard says,
    I think it's just too soon to be certain.

Edit:
    N.B.
    Even though nor the KB3197868 knowledge base article, nor the Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 update history page, mention the details that were in the knowledge base article for KB3192403,
    nevertheless, KB3197868 may deliver the telemetry content that was mentioned in the knowledge base article for KB3192403, October 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, anyhow.
    I am not certain, yet.
    See the details in this later post.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

5. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

6. Minimalist

You're welcome :)

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Mantra, I've just checked a detailed list of the latest updates, and unfortunately there is nothing pertaining to Photoshop...
    I think I've already mentioned to you in the past, my two machines listed below in my signature have Photoshop CS6 Extended, version 13.0.1 (first installed in 2013). I've never had a problem, but I know some people have...

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    thanks Osaban I appreciate it a lot
    the taskbar does hide when you are in full screen mode with menu bar ,doesn' it?
    thanks

9. anon

anon Registered Member

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand the question, by pressing f11 the taskbar hides, is that what you mean?

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    press F , and you will switch to marmal view ,full screen with toolbars , full screenmode
    when i 'm in full screen with toolbars , the toolbar doesn't hide
    look http://i.imgur.com/OWWOD0w.png

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Your are right, it doesn't switch to the other two screen modes on both machines...Well that's too bad, although all the other functions in Photoshop seem to work normally...Photoshop for me is more of a hobby than a tool, but it is good to know it has been affected by Win 10...

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

On Win 7 Pro 64-bit I installed security updates for Office 2010 (home and students) and the November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup 3197868. So far OK.

There is/are things however that are puzzling me, but it is with great hesitation that I post this (I do not want to spread FUD and all of that).
    I looked at the log of my file-integrity-checker ADinf32 after the updates.
    If I am not mistaken, it looks like there is a new folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\
    Do others see that too? One of the things that draw my attention was the following file in a sub-folder there:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
    It is that word telemetry there in the file name. Maybe I am paranoid, could well be. I have no idea what the file is doing. BTW, about the file extension json I found this page at Wikipedia.

14. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes, Windows 10 14393.447, two JSONs and a BK, all of which created in the past month. First, you need admin. priv. to open the folder, then "how would you like to open this? Get an app from the Store?" Sure would like to know what their purpose(s) is/are. :cautious: Probably so few know about the presence of these mystery files on their system.

telemetry files.PNG

15. Minimalist

@FanJ
    This could be part of update, since telemetry was updated with this update. If you didn't install previous updates related to telemetry, then you got it now (with Diagnostic Tracking Service also being installed). That's why I installed only security updates.

16. Stupendous Man

I think Minimalist could be right.
    I think this could be related to what I mentioned in my October 18 post in the No more individual patches for Windows 7 and 8 thread.

The "Diagnostic and Telemetry" details in the "More information" section of the KB3192403 and KB3192404 "October 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup" knowledge base articles are not documented in the KB3197868 and KB3197874 November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup knowledge base articles.

With installation of KB3197868 on my two Windows 7 x64 systems (1 Professional, 1 Home Premium),
    Diagnostics Tracking Service (DiagTrack) was not re-enabled*
    (* Diagnostics Tracking Service (DiagTrack) is on my systems, because earlier, I installed KB3068708 and KB3080149, for the reasons that I stated in my February 14 post in the Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet? thread.)

Also, with installation of KB3197868 on my two Windows 7 x64 systems,
    the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection key was not created.

On both my Windows 7 x64 systems, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis was created earlier, presumably related to installation of KB3068708 and KB3080149, earlier.

But on my Windows 7 x64 Professional system,
    in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ a new file was created since installation of KB3197868:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
    That file was created this morning, one and a half day after installing KB3197868.

On my Windows 7 x64 Professional system, other files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ predate installation of KB3197868, among which:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json.bk
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
    These are presumably related to installation of KB3068708 and KB3080149, earlier.

On my Windows 7 x64 Home Premium system,
    in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ several new files were created since installation of KB3197868, among which:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl

On my Windows 7 x64 Home Premium system, other files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ predate installation of KB3197868, among which:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json.bk
    This is presumably related to installation of KB3068708 and KB3080149, earlier.

I cannot tell whether the new files are a result of installing KB3197868, or whether it is a result of installation of KB3068708 and KB3080149, earlier.

@FanJ,
    Did you install telemetry related updates earlier, like KB3068708 and KB3080149?
    Or was KB3197868 the first and only update that you installed that may be telemetry related?
    If you are sure you did not install telemetry related updates earlier, your findings may probably be related to installation of KB3197868.

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Definitely NOT the paranoid type, but the fact that it's unavoidable in Windows 10 is disturbing. As FanJ said, these files are hidden away and inaccessible by ordinary means. At least you who have Windows 7/8 can avoid this telemetry with security-only updates. Diagnostic Tracking Service has some of the same attributes as spyware. Look at this:

telemetry cannot delete.PNG

permission denied.PNG

Who's the computer's administrator? You can uninstall Windows itself without this hassle.

18. guest

guest Guest

More access-rights are needed.
    If you want to view these files it may help to start a file-manager with SYSTEM-rights (with the help of some tools like "AdvancedRun" from Nirsoft, or Processhacker)

19. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks plat1098, Minimalist, Stupendous Man and mood for your replies!
    I'll have to think about it.
    I think I will first need to install Karen's Directory Printer (see here) to get a list of the current folders and files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis
    Then make a backup-image again.
    Maybe then I will restore a backup-image from before I updated to these MS-updates. Then try to install the Security updates only. And then run my file-integrity-checkers again (which I always do after MS updates) and see how things are. A lot of work.
    Thanks again!

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I saw the "AutoLogger" in your post and that caught my attention, but after looking it up, it doesn't really appear to be anything devious or nasty. Here is some info:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363687(v=vs.85).aspx

21. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

mood: Thank you, this wasn't alarming (to me) enough--yet--to take chances with ProcessHacker. This episode just refreshed my memory, it's nothing new. The point is, when it comes to Microsoft and Windows 10, I've nothing more than a glorified LUA on my own computer. It'll be watchful waiting for the time being.

22. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much, Kerodo.
    It seems AutoLogger in itself is benign.
    I'm not sure about "AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener", though.
    I'm not sure if there should be recent AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl files, when DiagTrack (Diagnostics Tracking Service) is disabled.
    However, the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl file seems empty.
    When opened in Event Viewer there are no details at all, and when viewed in plain text, the file is mostly filled with ÿÿÿÿÿ...

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    nice tool ADinf32 , it's no free ,isn't it
    but there is another cool tool TaskSchedulerView v1.21 ,if you run as administrator it does show even hidden schedule

24. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Thanks for the continuing info. I am certain that I did not have DiagTrack on my system until the 9th November when I installed KB3197868. I now have the Diagnosis folder although its sub-folders are mainly empty. There are however four eventsxx.rbs files that have a total of 32 mb of data in there.

I have checked in services and see that I now also have Diagnostics Tracking Service enabled and set to Automatic. Presumably I should disable this?

25. Stupendous Man

Yes, you can simply disable the Diagnostics Tracking Service (DiagTrack).

Additionally, if you haven't turned off CEIP, Customer Experience Improvement Program, you may want to do that also, to limit telemetry.
    There are several ways to turn off CEIP.
    You can choose Control Panel, Group Policy, Registry, or Task Scheduler, to turn off CEIP.
    See the gHacks article Turn off the Windows Customer Experience program.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.