Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

I don't think it may comeback soon because the feedback is not well when implement the safesearch

2. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Look at this statement for update 5 in beta stage 14.0.5.370 Coming soon:

Those are the latest changes we did for update 5:

Refreshed GUI

A fresh look of the product, applying the latest corporate identity graphics

Antivirus Pro (plus licensing)

Starting with this update, there is going to be only one single paid product, called Antivirus Pro. It replaces all existing antivirus components from the following product suites: AV Suite, Internet Security Suite, Family Protection Suite, Ultimate Protection Suite.

It accepts licenses from all above antivirus products and also the currently maintained products Antivirus Suite, Internet Security Suite and Ultimate Protection Suite will be migrated to this product automatically.

Server Security product release on latest state

This update fixes various bugs (related to remote commands, events, quarantine, MMC integration) and adds some performance improvements (boot time performance) .

The support for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 has been improved for some special cases.

New AIRS (Avira Intelligent Repair System) functionality (reboot handling, quarantine handling, extended API)

The latest repair functions are updated.

Do not offer the toolbar anymore in all products

From now on, all products will be delivered without the SearchFree toolbar.

System Tray application improvements

Fixed various bugs, reduced the amount of events written which might have slowed down the computer

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Excellent Move from my Perspective! Pair the Product to it's Core Strength...Protection! It seems all the feedback was heeded in regards to Customer Needs! The Gui isn't of any Real Importance...other than Esthetics...but Boot Time Performance...Now Your Talking! I'm Starting too feel more assured Already! Now!...Finally what Time Window are we too expect for the release of this Beta? Sincerely...Securon

4. anon

anon Registered Member

=
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/avira.345492/page-73#post-2371963

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not sure i agree with the direction of all that. hopefully it will be for the better but i believe some people who paid for the extras of the higher programs might be just a bit upset they are only going to have the av pro now. im REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping avira doesnt kill what is a great gui imo. please dont go the way of the garbage looking flat or flashy gui's imo avira has one of the best ones out there. otherwise hopefully this will finally be the release ive been waiting for. as far as the comment on the gui i disagree. if a av has a total crap gui more than likely i will not recc it to anyone. even for me the gui is at least of some importance.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  6. Securon

Good Evening! Currently testing the beta 14.0.5.370...the Gui looks to my eyes virtually identical...to the current Gui...it's a tad Cleaner on the Graphics Side. The download was uneventful...as was the set-up...so far it's seems to be a fairly mature Beta...the Beta License is set for a month...hopefully the Beta will proceed to the Release Candidate come June 20th. You can view screenshots at Malwaretips. Sincerely...Securon

7. zfactor

issues with the beta. MANY web pages will not load at all. i get just a blank white page. if i turn off the web protection they load instantly. v3store and download crew are 2 good examples. but i have seen many others as well. took me a bit and then i realized oh yeah i just updated avira and decided to turn off one shield at a time. and its 100% the web filter causing it.

the gui is a bit different but not much. i did read though this is just the first step towards a bigger update coming not sure if thats true though it was on the avira twitter feed. i can deal with this gui very much looks great. just please dont go and mess with it to much.

another beta question for avira it seems now not to matter which version i download they are almost all the same size i did not see a internet security but i do see other versions besides the av pro so are those still available or are they all basically the pro version now?

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I must say im pretty impressed with Avira, there is really no ad's that are displayed not even in the GUI with is really nice only a upgrade button nothing flashy. except the slider one but even that is really basic and it goes away on its own.

I wish the others would take note.

9. Securon

Good Morning! I also had problems trying too access webpages....Bye Bye Beta...I'll wait for the Release Candidate...and as a footnote the boot-up problem doesn't appear to have been resolved...Stay Tuned. Sincerely...Securon

10. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

There have some bugs on beta download page,all the files would say 100MB but it was not

11. zfactor

so if i have the internet security suite version lic keys which should be the one i download because i no longer see the internet security one? and same here the boot time is no different then the previous version, it takes the network connection forever to start and again while faster then before its still much slower than other products.

12. Cmhelper

Cmhelper Registered Member

I just talked with the colleagues from the beta team and they will take a closer look on that webguard vs. loading webpages scenario.
    The shown file size for the installer files is only an estimation and does not reflect the exact file size.
    As spokesman already said about the update 5 changelog: We will remove the toolbar from our paid consumer products starting with update 5.

13. zfactor

so which version should i use to match up with internet security suite? i no longer see it listed there

14. Securon

Good Afternoon! zfactor...there is no column B...it's all been distilled into one product...Avira A/V Pro...if you go to the Avira Beta Page and to the Download Section it becomes Crystal Clear...Well less Confusing...Lol! And if they're to have one product only...I can't see as a consumer paying anymore than $29.95 1P.C. 1Yr for Avira. If this is the Business Model their going to implement...their revenues are going to suffer accordingly. And the product has to provide Rock Solid Engineering avoiding the irritating issues surrounding Start Up...and Scanning etc. My gut feeling is the Weather Forecast for Avira is Cloudy with Revenue Declines...sure hope not though. Sincerely...Securon

15. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Internet Security Suite will be force to merge Antivirus pro
    AntiVirus Suite will rename AntiVirus Pro
    In Future
    there will be more products bundle
    for example:
    AntiVirus Pro+System Speedup
    AntiVirus Pro+Android Security Premium
    etc.

16. zfactor

i am guessing a lot of people who will not be happy who paid for the higher end suites who will now be forced to use just the av pro.

17. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I hope they keep their current licensing model. I like that

18. anon

anon Registered Member

From Sorin Mustaca's Blog:

19. Securon

I Hope I'm wrong...but something is Happening at Avira...and from my Vantage Point...I'm receiving a Very Negative Vibe...Sincerely...Securon

20. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Agreed. Things not feeling so good there.

21. anon

anon Registered Member

acting also as an interface with the German Teams. With those great guys, who unfortunately, are no longer with Avira (with a few exceptions),
    and a great time with my colleagues. Unfortunately, during the last 3 years I have lost many of them – but never so many as in the last 12 months.

http://sorin-mustaca.com/2014/05/17/goodbye-avira-ready-for-the-new-challenges/
    -------------------------------
    Tettnang, Germany --- June 12, 2013 – Cyber-security expert Avira announced today that Travis Witteveen has been promoted to CEO of the company, effective July 1, 2013. Witteveen, who has been with Avira since 2009, was formerly Chief Operating Officer. Company founder Tjark Auerbach, who started Avira more than 27 years ago in a garage in Germany, will remain the majority shareholder.
    http://www.avira.com/en/press-details/nid/824/news/avira-new-ceo-travis-witteveen

22. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

That not an recent news
    this lost can be back from 2012(as one of the manager back)
    some of them leave the company to competitor
    for detail ask someone

23. Securon

Good Morning! As aaa839...has mentioned; All the sources provided are indeed Old News. My concern with Avira...is their Product offerings are devolving...they will now offer essentially one product only...Avira A/V Pro...and from a users perspective...they still haven't fixed the boot-up issue...in regards too Windows Firewall. My Confidence in Avira has come into play...being in essence a one product company...makes you question the future. Sincerely...Securon

24. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

About your boot-up issue is that with windows 8 ? I'm using Avira free on win 7 and my boot-time have never been so fast (28sec) ... with other AV's (like Qihoo 360, Avg free etc) its around 30-35 seconds.

25. Securon

Good Morning! Spokesman...As I've mentioned in previous posts my boot-up with Eset S.S.7 is instantaneous...when I'm on the main screen during boot-up with Avira 30-35sec is totally unacceptable in my books...since in the past when I was using Avira Internet Security 2013...the boot up time like Eset was instantaneous. My problem with Avira is why can't they provide their user base with a fully functioning Internet Security Suite...with Firewall? Otherwise Avira becomes a one trick pony...and in the world of Product Development and Marketing...Historically one trick ponies...are taken out to pasture...sooner not later. As I mentioned in a Previous post as a customer my Confidence in Avira is in serious doubt. Sincerely...Securon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.