Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It might be beneficial to some if the Pros and cons of the launcher were explained.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

to me it would not matter at all unless they bring back the custom installer i dont want another everything in one av, i also dont want another av that doesnt allow me to decide what i want to run on my own machines. besides that i do know what its for....

3. anon

anon Registered Member

.... during the initial setup only.
    On paid products, the installation of OE will remain optional and not mandatory, IMHO.

Anyway, the Sept. 16th is not far, we will see.

4. zfactor

i can not post personal messages per the rules here but if the info i was given is correct yes it will be there.

5. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

is Proactiv x64 coming with Avira 2015 products?

6. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

One words only
    NO

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I don't know why the quote didn't work properly.

If Avira free comes with non-optional software or bloat then it's not what I'm looking for. I did away with all bloat when my NIS 2006 subscription was up and haven't looked back.

I was talking about Avira on another forum. A user said they quit installing it on their own and clients pc's because of the nagging. I told them that the last I heard Avira removed the nag screen and the toolbar was gone. I guess I have bad news to report when I talk with them.

I honestly don't mind a daily nag screen. What I don't want is extra bloat and non-security related software. I want an AV with decent detection and protection with plenty of options and the ability to decide what I want to do with all detections because I don't want my PC damaged from false positives.

8. darts

darts Registered Member

• New beta build: 14.0.7.292

Those are the latest changes we did for update 7:

• Fixed a bug in the web protection module which prevented some pages to load completely.
    • Fixed a bug in the web protection module which caused a high CPU usage while browsing.

Please focus in this version on browsing speed and performance when using Avira with Web Protection.

9. zfactor

odd im not seeing this in the beta area. i still show the one from a week ago .570

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Current Versions online:
    Version 2014 beta (de/en): 14.0.7.292 (since Sept 5, 2014 @ 1:00 AM)
    Version 2014 live (de/en): 14.0.6.570

Version 2014 beta (localised) [Rest-of-World Languages]: 14.0.6.570 (since Jul 25, 2014 @ 1:00 AM)
    Version 2014 live (localised): 14.0.6.570

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  11. zfactor

i just reinstalled 2 days ago. downloaded the 5mb installer from the beta center and still have .570. i just re-downloaded it today and will try right now to reinstall and see what i get.

12. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Install with full installer 570 and then via license (alreaday have a license) add the beta license key .... it will update whithin an hour to 14.0.7.292 Beta

13. zfactor

just re-installed and its still 570 i am using the beta lic key on this machine. been doing so since .292 was released i have not got this as a update.

14. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Perhaps manualy, right click on icon -> start update (but yes sometimes can take a few hours till its connect to the beta servers)
    Also be sure that you use the latest beta license key, you can redownload latest.

15. zfactor

done that many times. still on .570. been waiting all this time still on 570...i have downloaded the newest beta key the latest from the beta center...

16. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I think you're right. As I've already mentioned I uninstalled Avira on this computer: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/avira.345492/page-94#post-2402480

Now I'm going to uinstall the next Avira because of the idiotic update window. I installed the update to finally disable the pop up but now it's impossible to access the avira settings via systray icon, it's replaced by avira online essential which is absolutely useless.

Sorry but Avira is more annoying than malware these days. Bye bye, another computer without Avira. :thumb:

Attached Files:

17. zfactor

see this is what i have been telling you guys at avira. i do hope you can see how many people are not happy with the way this is going

18. anon

anon Registered Member

19. Cmhelper

Cmhelper Registered Member

We migrated the last active forum threads also to Avira Answers, so basically nothing should be missing regarding AV 14 topics.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

This is not the case.

What is missing is the whole database.
    i.e. =
    -http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=100477
    -http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=122027
    -http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=86035
    -http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1284531#post1284531
    etc

21. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! As I've mentioned previously...waiting for the newest Version Update. If this Installer is Introduced for my Paid For Avira Pro License...Avira rest assured has lost a Customer. This Type of Invasive Negative Reverse Marketing...unfortunately has no place in today's Marketplace. Avira's Head Of Marketing should be summarily given His or Her's Letter of Termination. Sincerely...Securon

22. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Just as an aside comment. Avira like other A/V Security providers...is Targeting the Smartphone...Tablet...Phablet...Notebook Demographic. A large Market too be sure. But I for one have Absolutely no use for the Portable Products. And ironically the main reason is Security. But Avira as we all know aren't the only Security Vendor Utilizing this Method...of Tying In it's Customer Base. Sincerely...Securon

23. zfactor

securon i agree 100% and have tried many times to explain this to them. i also do not want to "link" my devices together. i mean link my windows laptop to the android tablet and my phone. i have no need to do that and will not be. so for me its useless and i dont want any launcher. bitdefender and a few others have tried to do a launcher like thing but i can say EVERY person i know personally dont use them and either disable them or remove them. no one wants them on their desktop.

on another note it will be on all versions. the "launcher" will be included in all versions soon. this has been confirmed. i was told they would bring back the custom install at some point but the launcher will be required from the info i was given because it will now handle the lic'ing of avira running from the tray service.

24. fblais

fblais Registered Member

IIRC, you can uninstall the Online Essential component (add/remove programs) and you'll be back with the classic tray icon functionality.

25. zfactor

you can not now with the newest beta if you try to remove the extra avira as before in the control panel it will remove the whole program.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.