avast! 2016

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tyrizian, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Alikhan

Alikhan Registered Member

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

huge difference for me with this version. something in the previous version was causing me slowdowns at times and this newer beta seems to have resolved that. nice work!

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I did notice that the last version ate up a lot more CPU cycles. The IDP was the culprit if I recall. Too early to say for sure, but this new version might be better in that regard.

4. zfactor

TI imo the way i feel about anti ransom is that they do detect things BUT usually by the time they do its to late. for the variants that sit and wait or are triggered by some specific thing or time they can be useful. but for the most part by the time a lock or ransomware infects the system usually if the av or anti malware does not immediately catch it and stop it then its to late. this is where the decryption tools come into play but even those are not foolproof.

5. zfactor

same for me i know it really bogged down during video playback i.e. youtube or vimeo etc. playback was very stuttered. prior to that was better. but so far this newest version seems much smoother.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Interesting about the youtube stutter. I had been getting that, and had been wondering what was going on. Didn't realize it was that build of Avast causing it. I don't even have the web shield installed.

7. zfactor

well i never had it before that and nothing else was changed AT ALL. i was also getting some super slow loading pages

8. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

True.The feature never evolved to be something that does early detection.Most anti-ransom are only able to stop generic variations of a particular ransom family.And even if they do as you said it's too late.

Avast! will offer generic protection of user files while still allowing whitelisted apps to make changes on them.But this is planned little ahead of the official release but we will see :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

If the (ransomware) malware is detected by the AV, or whatever, when it tries to install it can't encrypt any files to begin with.

10. zfactor

agree krusty but that goes back to what i said EARLY detection.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I figured out why this build seemed to be running so much lighter than the last one. For some reason none of the shields are enabled, and won't enable. I'll have to dig into it tomorrow.

12. zfactor

all shields are on for me. still feels much lighter

13. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Here is some information on Avast passive mode. I'm wondering if this is it?

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB43#artTitle

Open the Avast GUI and go to settings->troubleshooting->passive mode

14. anon

anon Registered Member

15. Ahh, after all the good news of Avast, UI won't load (with humoresque text "this is embarassing" :) ) but Avast is still beta so mileage may vary, guess I have to wait a little longer :(

EDIT: Something in my hardened setup must be blocking something. Removing my Software Restriction Policies and Group Policies settings makes the GUI appear as normal :)

Startup of Chromium timed with AppTimer on Dual Core Pentium (G3240) with second generation 2 SSD (OCZ SataII) is pretty fast also with Avast file shield and behavioral shield enabled :thumb:

C:\Program Files\Chromium\chrome.exe - 5 executions

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2017
  16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

No that wasn't the issue. I had to to a complete uninstall / re-install, now I think it is ok. I only use File & Behavior shields.

17. Alikhan

Alikhan Registered Member

No Web Shield = No CyberCapture.

On top of that, Deepscreen is now included in CyberCapture.

Web Shield is core protection with the File and Behaviour Shields.

So what's the reason for not using the Web Shield?

18. @true indian @zfactor not only Avast evangalist were invited at Praha. For an outsider to join an insiders party, you are a strange bunch of people in a positive way :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2017
  19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Because it noticably reduces my download speeds. On my 1gb connection, it reduces the speed by 200-250meg. On wifi devices, it probably closer to about 10% reduction.

20. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.