AV Test December 2014 Windows 7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stephentony, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Yes, but it may not be good on your system.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

It appears that Trend is breaking out.

When you top the tests at multiple testing organizations... that says something. Although, Kaspersky & Bitdefender have been perpetual chart toppers for years -- and neither worked well for me.

Maybe when I get finally get around to getting rid of ZoneAlarm (on one of my lesser used computers), I'll try Trend again. Last time I tried Trend (years ago), it seemed very mediocre and slowed things down.. and they auto-renewed me (with charge to credit card) which I don't believe I gave them permission to do.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I thought you had lost faith in them... 2014 was a good year for Avira, I hope they can keep up these levels this year. Seen as Ahnlab has suddenly become competitive, it is clear that the latest technologies are working for any AV. In the future the choice of an AV will probably be weighed by price and performance as detection is good for most of them.

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Right but the trend thread hear comes to show what a huge improvement and overhaul it has gone through , remember when Norton was one of the heaviest and now it's one of the lightest? Things change although for Eset their performance hit is getting worse and worse with each update and the tests show it time after time

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Trend will honor your 30 day if you choose to exercise it, if not let me know. Not to turn this into a Trend thread, I would easily be running Trend right now if they went with my suggestion to remove the 'Allow' link on PUA/PUP detections. I guarantee my daughter would click that... Otherwise I feel Trend is exceptionally powerful, probably the most powerful AV in the world right now. Suggestion - turn it on 'Hypersensitive', this will crank it up a whole lot, and not increase FP's to anything you need to worry about. I think in the Trend thread I posted some settings I like. Trend is a caching AV. Install it, let it update, reboot (just for good measure), run a full scan, then you can feel how light it is properly. Beta for 2016 starts in a couple of months.. Big things planned, and of course free upgrades to 2016 for all 2015 license holders.

PS: Firewall in Trend is just a booster for Windows Firewall.

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Ah sort of how Panda AV Pro does it. Don't need that with my AiProtection that you set for me + Windows Firewall :)

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Indeed. To see the Hypersensitive HIPS work (Suspicious Acting File), download KCSoftware stuff (anything, like SuMO updater), run it and it will trigger it do to RK downloading in the background temp files to launch the PUA aspect of it. Trend will fully block it based on this 'activity'. You should be pretty bulletproof with AiProtection+Trend eh? Sheesh. :p

7. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

You're the security expert! I appreciate all the help and advice you've given me :)

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

trend is excellent, if they had some more advanced options honestly i would be running it myself.

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

10. siketa

siketa Registered Member

@MR: No, you will not. You always repeat the same mistake.
    How many times have we already told you to test first and buy later?
    How many AVs have you tried, ditched and ask for a refund?
    It's only waste of time and money....and your nerves sometimes.

11. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Where is Emsisoft? Or were they ever on AV-Test?

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

They do not want to spend money on this test.

13. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

There are 2 things that can ruin your system - a virus and an antivirus.

14. siketa

siketa Registered Member

3 things actually.....you forgot the user. ;)

15. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Good results from the free ones:
    Panda and Qihoo-360 :thumb:

16. malexous

malexous Registered Member

It also gives you longer to realise the product is not for you.

17. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

LOL
    :thumb:

I agree.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  18. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Kaspersky has to be one of the most consistent AV products over the last few years.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Same results as usual from AV-Test. :cool:

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have on older system with 512mb ram and an old CPU and ESET runs fine on it, and another system with 1gb and an old cpu and same thing there, so 4gb is no problem, and shouldn't be a problem for any AV. So if that 4gb system feels slow it's not due to ESET being installed anyway.

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Actually it more than likely is. Antiviruses behave differently from one computer to the next. I've seen antiviruses be very light on one computer and heavy on another, and I've seen this behaviour with NOD32 as well as other antiviruses. On my past system I found the most recent version of NOD32 at the time, and also a really old version (I think it was v2.7) which was supposed to be lighter than newer versions, both to slow down my computer too much for my liking.

22. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

With 4GB of ram, I doubt ram is a problem. I would look elsewhere. I don't think that the large quantity of different security products people run helps to keep systems running smoothly.

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

People judging an AV by how much RAM it uses it plain stupid! It's how it handles on access file scans, HTTP checking (which NOD32 is notorious of being super slow at and cause browsing to have a serious lag)

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nah, it's more likely to be incompatibilities with some other software, and/or left overs from uninstalled softwares. Or too many unnecessary auto startups using background resources, they are true performance killers.

Well 2.7 is a good ole' pensioner by now so I can understand if it doesn't run great on newer hardware as it hasn't been updated in a long time.

Or do like you did when you uninstalled an AV at the same time you installed a new one, that is not a good procedure, it can cause unexpected problems down the road if an uninstall goes wrongly even if it seemed to work out fine at first. I know why you did it, you were impatient, but as you know it is wrong to do it I still can't understand why you did it.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

But you don't want it fixed so no need to go on about it, or have you changed your mind? You posted on the forum last week saying you were back with ESET....now you are using Trend again. And soon you will use something else...:blink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.