Trend 2015 arrives tonight. Take a look.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. natZONE

natZONE Registered Member

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Bro, just installed Trend Micro Antivirus + and it says in the settings it has the Firewall Booster, but you said that's only in the Internet Security? how come?

2015-01-23_07-01-26.png
    I like the setting which has an option to delay the launch of the AV for performance reasons :D

2015-01-23_07-10-43.png

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Well then good.. Use it. =D

Also, tick off the Extra-Security checkbox. IMO it actually is better in terms of system launch, try it and see. Slide the web protection to max and it will get some of the harder to catch exploits and URL's.

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

right, I'll try both

did the update then initial full scan as you told me, was pretty quick. It found 2 false positives only:

1) Windows XP CD Key Changer
    2) Product Key Viewer

it deleted them automatically which is my mistake because I forgot to turn that option off, but what I don't like is it doesn't have a Quarantine where you could go and restore them deleted files back.

Not a deal breaker, so far liking it, system is very very snappy as if there was no AV! Great suggestion from you

I also sent them 2 suggestions via the feedback tool:

1) to show system hidden files regardless of the OS folder option settings because often I need to whitelist some folders which are located in C:\USERS\ALL USERS which is a system hidden file so I have to go and uncheck hide system hidden files first in order to see those

2) In the main GUI, there is a button that says DATA, I recommended them to remove this bloat and just give me what I purchased! I hate it when an AV puts all kinds of buttons that do not pertain to your product but are those of higher products and when clicked just take you to their site to upgrade to a higher suite.

Again, no deal breakers, just sent the suggestion for improvements

6. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Something in my PC feels abnormally fast! The internet browsing.....holy crap everything loads instantly with 0 lag! never experienced this before! This is with all the Trend addons in Firefox installed too

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

There is a quarantine. Tick the statistics icon on the main interface, page over to threats, then 'see more information'. Quarantine is there.

Attached Files:

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

ahh you're right! thanks man

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

This is legit - by the way and will always work on the new versions - this one for example will work for 2015 - free upgrade each year.

As long as the machine isn't 'totally different', you can uninstall/reinstall it on the machines it's registered to as much as you like. However if you buy a new machine it's going to kill the license for that machine. This is pretty sweet deal if you plan on keeping your machines for a few years. We tend to keep our laptops around here for 4-5 years+ so this is a steal in that case,

http://www.qvc.com/Trend-Micro-Lifetime-Maximum-Security-2014-for-(6)-Devices.product.E226064.html

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Wow! that's a steal!

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Another thing I like is that it detects and removes tracking cookies so no more need for SUPERAntiSpyware!

12. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

The more I use it, the more I like it, not only does it show the web search results as safe, it also highlights any link in a webpage as safe or not:

2015-01-23_08-59-58.png

13. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

AV-Comparatives will soon release product of the year. I'm wondering where Trend will end up? I have no idea which av will win this time.

14. snippits

snippits Registered Member

It also checks links in web mail too like Gmail and Livemail(hotmail).

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I've had it find malware links someone was sending on FB with this. So I agree - it's handy!

Remember guys, you can activate 'old' Trend versions and they will update the license for 2015 automatically. So that means if you happen to find Trend 2012 on the internets for $1.99 on clearance or something, it's good for 2015 and beyond. I do not believe Trend has any plans to change their licensing/activation model even as they add new technology. But obviously things can change.

I think Trend could win product of the year on AVC, or come close, as they certainly are the most improved this year. Coming from nowhere, and suddenly scoring 100% on all of the tests in a single development cycle is a remarkable achievement if I do say so myself. Trend is on the shrinking list of products that still use their own databases and ground-up technologies while more and more companies move toward licensing another engine. I believe that shows their commitment to all of this. :thumb:

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Some data on Trends new technologies, and why it is scoring 100% 'consistently' now.

Algorithms change Trend when threats are detected; Trend Micro Security automatically performs an Intensive Scan whenever a Quick, Full, Custom, Scheduled Scan, or “Smart Schedule” scan detects a high amount of malware on your computer. In the real world, Trend Micro Security does not allow a large virus data set to even get onto a user’s computer. To obtain this condition artificially, you have to dump a large collection of malware files onto an unprotected system before you install Trend Micro Security, or you would have to turn off all the proactive features, such as the real-time scan, that would prevent such a large infection from occurring in the first place. When the scan detects a large volume of malware, the Quick Scan stops and an Intensive Scan starts.

Heavy cloud emphasis; Trend Micro uses revolutionary Smart Scan technology on the client when it scans your hard drive. This references Trend Micro’s file reputation services in the cloud— part of the Smart Protection Network—for a shorter “time-to-protect”. Unlike other local-protection-based products that require you to frequently update a large local signature database on your computer, Trend Micro Security updates the signature database primarily on Trend Micro Servers in the cloud, so all consumers of the Smart Protection Network are instantly protected whenever the online database is updated. Other cloud-based Trend Micro technologies correlate threat data of different kinds, since modern threats can simultaneously use multiple techniques to infect your computer.

KEY MALWARE PROTECTIONS FOR TREND MICRO ANTIVIRUS+ SECURITY Antivirus and Antispyware Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security provides essential protection against viruses; that is, any malicious program that can replicate itself and infect your computer. Antivirus+ also protects you from a broad range of other malware, including worms, Trojans, bots, and rootkits. It also provides protection from spyware; that is, any program that installs itself in the background and gathers information about you or your computer without your knowledge. Since browser cookies can act like spyware, Antivirus+ will delete cookies as well.

Windows Firewall Booster and Wi-Fi Protection The Windows Firewall Booster provides additional network-level protections, including a Network Virus Scan and Anti-Botnet feature. The Firewall Booster is automatically activated for increased network security. Antivirus+ also provides authentication for Wi-Fi networks, displaying a warning when connected to potentially unsafe wireless networks or hotspots.

Anti-Spam Antivirus+ includes anti-spam in its list of features. Users of POP3 e-mail can be protected from spammers, stopping unsolicited advertisements and other unwanted bulk email. Trend Micro Security’s anti-spam function taps into the email reputation services of the Smart Protection Network.

Trend Micro Security Antivirus+ also protects you from threats in files attached to email messages.

Unauthorized Change Prevention Trend Micro Security includes behavior monitoring in its list of security protections. Unauthorized changes to system settings and other suspicious behavior can be blocked, as well as autorun programs on portable drives.

Finally, Antivirus+ includes the ability to switch your protection level automatically, to aggressively eliminate programs that pose even a small risk of bad behavior.

Web Threat Protection The majority of threats nowadays come from the web, when you’re simply browsing the Internet or visiting a site. However, attacks may also begin with a phishing email that uses social engineering techniques to coax you to click a URL link in the email. You then may be taken to a website that secretly harbors malicious threats, which either steals your personal data or infects you with malware. Antivirus+ proactively protects you from a variety of these web threats, so that they never touch your computer. To provide thorough protection from and rapid response times to emerging threats, Antivirus+ uses the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network cloud-client security infrastructure along with a combination of cloud-based web, file, and email reputation services. It also employs real-time scans of what’s in memory and on disks. Antivirus+ also blocks malicious links and image spam in emails Social Networking Protection Web Threat Protection in Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security is extended to social networking sites. See risk ratings for Facebook, Twitter, Google+, MySpace, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Mixi, and Trend Micro™ Security 2015 Product Guide GL v1.0 38 Sina Weibo. Mouse over URLs to get further details on the website. In Facebook, warn your friends of bad URLs on their pages, so they can delete them. Device: Security Settings: Security & Tuneup

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Also there is a setting in Trend on by default, I recommend UNCHECKING it. It actually improves security by having it off; Reduce data usage in metered network is selected by default. The frequency of maintenance software updates will be less than on a non-metered network. This will keep the reputation/malware pushes updated at a much faster frequency.

Also Trend allows you to turn off all data-sharing without impacting our personal protection;

Trend Micro Security can provide feedback to the Smart Protection Network (SPN), to automatically correlate and analyze information about threats found on your computer (and millions of others), for better protection. By opting into the SPN feedback process, you improve yours and others’ threat protection, since threats sent from your computer are immediately added to the threat analysis/detection/prevention process, but the choice is yours to opt in or out. You can also opt into sharing computer performance information with Trend Micro, to help yours and others’ computers work better

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Another good aspect to Trend - they never kill licenses. I've heard stories of PC-Illan activating from a 2008 license on 2015 product.. Can't verify, but I can tell you it seems to be guaranteed to activate at least from 2010 onward, and I have done so myself. Given that, you can almost always snipe licenses for as low as $1.99 on Ebay. I've seen 1 PC for 1 Year for as lot as $1.99, but around $5.00 average it seems. If you go back to older versions people often dump them not realizing they will activate the new version. That makes Trend one of the cheaper 'premium' antivirus products out there. I'm basically settled on Norton and/or Trend as my endpoint choices these days, so stockpiling Trend licenses is pretty low cost.

It might be wise to stock up. The longer Trend scores 100%, and the more publicity it gets, the less you will be able to stock up at those prices.

19. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

20. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Trend had an outstanding year. Strong results in a dramatically improved product.

But I don't think they will get AV-Cs 2014 Top Rated Product of the Year.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/awards_by_vendor.php?venID=17

If they keep doing what they are doing, they should be a top contender for 2015.

Trend Micro

21. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I see your point.. Basically until 2015 product arrived, they were an underperformer at best... Maybe of the criteria of best improved was used? If not, 2016 for sure.

22. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Probably Kaspersky or Bitdefender again. I'm leaning towards Bitdefender but things are getting pretty tight these days.

The main option I want in Trend is prompt for action. I would have zero gripes if it were there.

23. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Yeah, I'm with ya. In terms of trajectory, It's Trend all the way. It's the one to watch.

Yeah, Bit & Kaspersky both consistently tested well at AV-C last year. I think those are good guesses.

Although... a couple of the winners from 2013 were sorta perplexing to me. I've never bothered to read the awards criteria that factor into the 'Best Of' awards... there could be factors that produce unexpected winners.

24. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

No support forums. Have to pay for premium support.

25. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Wow. After reading this thread, I gotta try trend. I have installed it for my parents. Will use same license to try it.

My main concern is that I use Norton or WSA and they are very light (almost on top). I just hope that it dont drag my PC

UPDATE: I just installed it. Initial impression is good. Did a full scan. One thing I really like is the UI. Others must learn from its UI.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.