AV-Comparatives- Summary Report 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phyniks, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Looking for some new blood starting in 2015, let's hope eh? I miss the days when it was a 'battle' between some heavy hitters. It was all pretty tight until about 2012. I think a lot of companies like Norton and Trend realized they better step things up, and push some new technologies out.

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Yep. I would like to see Norton return to these tests and would like for Emsi to win. Keep an eye on Trend. If Bitdefender and Kaspersky tie again next year it looks like Kaspersky will win the tie-breaker. Definitely need a new champ.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

If a lot of users experienced these problems then I would agree with "they are past due for a program update".

The engine got an update in the second half of last year, and the program modules are continuously updated with improvements and (of course) fixes too if customers having problems are willing to report them to the vendor. ESET is willing to help and investigate any problems as support is included in the license, but if the customer is not interested then that's their loss and not ESET's fault in any way. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/av-test-december-2014-windows-7.372640/page-5#post-2452205

Like I have mentioned before, I have had problems myself, but I reported about them to the vendor like most people would, and they got fixed.
    If an issue can't be reproduced in-house, then cooperation from the affected customer is always appreciated.

I have never used a product made by a company that is not interested in fixing problems in their product, they are usually glad that customers report about their issue so they can fix it. I'm sure you would do the same if you had an issue with Emsisoft or whatever AV you use now, as that's the right thing to do. Especially if you paid for the product.

I am not one of those that run away incase a problem arise and buys another product.....only to ask for a refund 3 days later because I didn't like it. I would instead troubleshoot the issue in hope to get it fixed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

SweX i can tell you i had to stop pushing eset like i used to because i was getting many calls from people asking me to come out and check their machines because of the issues i have mentioned before. mainly the you tube buffering thing. i have had to remove it from a good handful of systems this past year because of it. these are not people who will post on forums nor are they people who care to contact anyone to troubleshoot they contact us to come fix the issues. and i can not use their machines for troubleshooting they want them fixed "now" they do not want to wait and send reports etc. i did answer when asked if turning off the option fixed my issue and i told them it did not. they want me to repost over at their forum. imo no reason they can not have me email them directly. i have personally replaced the av for these people out of my own pocket to make them happy. i do still offer it but i dont push it as my main av at this time (SADLY because if i had no issues with it eset would 100% be my first choice)

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Without Emsi, Norton, & G-Data (& others) competing, the honor of winning is certainly less than some might assume.

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Don't forget Trend in that list, but yes without them there it isn't really all that impressive. I'm hoping some of the new techs in place will push the 'other guys' to the top of the charts 'consistently'.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I totally understand that they don't want to use ESET if it is that severe. And I also understand that they don't want to go through a troubleshooting process and wait. Though I didn't mean that all customers with issues reach out to complain directly at the vendor. Personally, I think it's a bit awkward when experienced and knowledgeable users like most in here is post about it in Wilders or any other forums over and over and over again (instead of contacting the vendor) like they believe doing so will solve it, but doing that will not fix this in any way, which is why I say that it's best to contact the vendor as they are the only one that possibly can solve the issue. If I personally could reproduce it then I would contact ESET as I wouldn't stand such web/video streaming problems either. But I can't reproduce it, I don't see this issue on any machine running ESET. So I can't help with the troubleshooting. :(

Is it OS specific? Does it only happen on high-speed fiber connections ? Does it happen with both EAV & ESS ?
    Of course the best would be to test out the suggestions by Marcos as a first step to try to isolate the issue.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/av-test-december-2014-windows-7.372640/page-5#post-2452205

zfactor, I can understand that if you go to bed at 2am and out the door at 7am (or how was it? something like that :D) that you have no time to troubleshoot this. ;)

But as you are not the only one having this problem...it would be great if someone else having this issue did go all in on this and contacted ESET. If ESET doesn't know where the problem is in the product and what's causing it, then they can't fix it. The more people that "complain" directly to ESET about this the better.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah about 2am sounds right lol. i have so much work all the time when i come home i spend time with the kids till they go to bed then i have to finish all my work after that so im always up till at least 1am sometimes later. and yup i get up at 6:30 and im out the door by 7am.

its both win 7 and 8 and both x86 and x64 doesnt matter then connection (im not sure i have any clients that are not on a high speed connection here i think the min from either company is 50/50). im all for troubleshooting just i can only do it when im free which doesnt happen very much. ill shoot him a pm and see if i can email him that for me would be much easier to do for me forums are much harder to do during the day except when i have 5 min to check them.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Actually yesterday I've asked our distributors around the world to report performance issues like these directly to me and nobody has reported any so far. We'll see if I get something reported next week but what I can say is that: 1, we've never had a single report of these issues from users in Slovakia, 2. no distributors reported them to our partner support so far, 3, we've never experienced any issues like these on our production, home or test systems, 4. the only reports of the issues are from users here at Wilders'.

10. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Hi Marcos

In the last few months there has been an in-rush of bug reporting and bashing of many different products, so don't feel like ESET is the only developer that this effects. There has been no effort or time to report these problems to tech support but there has been plenty of time to come to Wilders and report problems over and over and over again.

I know, as a developer, you would like to fix all the problems reported here and elsewhere but, in this case, I feel like your efforts would be futile. If there wasn't this constant bashing of products and strong push to promote only certain products then maybe I would think differently. I don't think anyone can say you haven't tried. I would take much, not all, of the negative reporting here with a grain of salt.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha then I remembered right lol ;-P, well I hope you don't work yourself to death...sleep is important in life too you know.

If email contact would be easier for you then I really hope they can work it out that way instead of through the forum.

I wish you good luck and I hope the troubleshooting won't be for nothing, fingers crossed :thumb:

12. DanL

DanL Registered Member

Mayahana, what did you scan with to find the crapware missed by Kaspersky? I'm currently using KIS 2015 with the settings hardened. I also have Malwarebytes Pro, Hitman Pro and ADWcleaner but so far I never find anything in scans. I'm always interested in keeping up with better security.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

that's some arsenal you got there, bud.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.