AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test of September 2015

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by garrett76, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

@anon and @pb1 Thanks for the prompt replies! :thumb:

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Wow, interesting feature in a free Av. Are they, Avira, the only ones or are there more like that now ?

I saw that under improvements in the latest update there where removal of HIPS mentioned. How is that an improvement ?

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

No problem Martin, take care :)

6. @Macstorm

Is that your house pictured at Snæfellsjökull

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  7. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Depends on your pain threshold; mine is pretty low. I'd rather have the (small) risk than the (guaranteed) inconvenience.
    Gotta love Baidu's "crazy many FPs" category! (I imagine Qihoo up there as well, had they tested it.)

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Baidu had no false positives.

9. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

10. roger_m

@Rolo42 You were right. I was only looking at the results of the September test, not the last one posted. That's a ridiculous amount of false positives. Also, the result for Avast is way to high for my liking. But, I'll probably ditch Avast soon anyway, and go back to having no antivirus.

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Roger, no I'm not being sarcastic, just curious - is Avast becoming too heavy on your machine too?

12. roger_m

@Krusty13 No, it's extremly light. There only been one brief instance where it's slowed down my computer. Other than that, there's absolutely no noticable system impact.

However, my one issue with Avast, is that there's no way to add detected threats to the ignore list, other than doing it manually. You can quarantine and file, and then chose to add it to the ignore list when restoring it, so it won't be detected again. But, it would be much better to be able to just ignore the file when it is detected, rather than having to quaratine and then restore it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  13. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

I ran into this also--a foolish design that breaks installs, etc. I was starting to like avast again until this. And a false positive on something really popular (I don't remember what).

It seems lighter in that it can queue better (vs. being sluggish and even hanging in prior versions). Startup modification notification is nice and doesn't break anything and has smart defaults. I haven't seen any nags at all but I wonder if that's because it's beta.

I'm with you in that, when I rebuild this machine (when threshold 2 releases and activation works with real keys), I'm just going to stick with WD, EMET, Spywareblaster, and malware filters. Zero hassle/FPs.

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

@Windows_Security

My imaginary house ;)

I actually took the name of the Jules Verne novel, A Journey to the Center of the Earth (musician Rick Wakeman's album, to be more precise).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.