Any upcoming AV Test??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RazorBurn, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazorBurn

RazorBurn Registered Member

Are there any upcoming test from av-comparatives.org and av-test.de?

Its been really a long wait from the first test on av-comparatives.org..

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

av-comparatives.org the end of this month i think. Or possibly next month.

3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

AV-comparatives generally holds a on-demand test in March.

4. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Test in Feb.
    Results published in March.

5. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Test in February, result's publishing in March, congratulations to Avira in March, April, May etc... :argh:

6. rothko

rothko Registered Member

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

8. Astech

Astech Registered Member

Malware Research Group has just published the results of their new test with active infections. Other then that I guess the rest will go ahead as planned;)
    Personally I'm waiting to see some HIPS test.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

A link please?

10. Astech

Astech Registered Member

11. progress

progress Guest

A poor result for NOD32 :thumbd:

12. Julian

Julian Registered Member

30 samples aren't much and I wounder that Dr. Web didn't score very well. But it's nice that Comodo cleaned all, maybe an indication for a great potential :)

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

v3 doesn't have any system rescue functionality at all, also, we all know v3 is poor at cleaning compared to v4.

Cleaning Virut? In most cases that is as good as a hard drive format.

That test was not performed by AV-comparatives, which is what the OP is looking for.

I won't start yet ANOTHER debate about all these unofficial tests, but I think I made my feelings clear.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  14. Astech

Astech Registered Member

I hear you, but you can't look at only one source ether.

15. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Regardless, Eset does not have the best detection rate. Avira has better detection in AV-Comparatives and others. I own licenses for both, but use Avira the majority of the time.

16. elapsed

In my experience Avira may have a better signature detection rate than nod32 but not a heuristic detection rate. I know a lot of people will say "bah, heuristics". But that's what ESET have always been famous for.

Still trying not to take the post OT, I'm also looking forward to AV-C's new results.

17. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

18. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Given how Avira displays the tendency to systematically trounce ESET not only at AV-C on-demand tests, but retrospective tests as well, I'll have to ask what sources are you basing your claim on.

19. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

even in huerstic its not compared to avira or kaspersky

did you have seen the last Retrospective / ProActive - Test November 2008 test

20. elapsed

As a malware hunter in my spare time, I'm more than capable of creating my own tests. There is no chance you will ever get me to publish them, because fanboys will just jump in and criticize them.

If you want an example, NOD32 has consistently detected every new variant of the recent Waledac threat heuristically, but I won't compare it to other AV results.

I've viewed that test, yeah. NOD32's detection rate there is poor, but you can't make a proper real-time heuristic analysis off of on-demand scans. Threats in this day and age don't wait for you to scan them.

Also, good heuristics =/= fierce heuristics. A sign of good coded heurstics can detect malware and have a low fp.

In my opinion, both vendors failed in that test.

21. Astech

Astech Registered Member

So true you are, but not all of them are system killers. Most of the malware created today has a different purpose then destroying the system, it is doesn't kill the system then you can try to clean it (successfully or not, that is another story);)

22. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

This thread is going nowhere.

Yes, there are upcoming AV tests out there. Some are quite regularly scheduled, they have been for years, and the release dates are known to any website visitor.

Print and web-based PC news sites also have a steady stream of review content. Not as regularly scheduled, but well publicized and covered when it hits the web.

So much for the actual topical question. As for the tests themselves, their impact and utility is quite variable. Owners of well performing applications generally take comfort and send out cyber high-fives. Lower rated performers generally try to find a bit of light in the tunnel, attempt to articulate the fundamental flaws of the effort (after all - they must be there).

And then we have the inevitable clash of the two camps.....

As with most situations which garner divergent reactions, reality lies somewhere in the middle, is demographically quite sensitive and, despite the electrons and sweat invested in these AV test result discussions, little of general merit ever seems learned on any front.

Since this thread has already turned toward away from the initial question posed, thread closed before it really heads in a downward spiral.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.