Virus Bulletin RAP tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by InfinityAz, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Just saw this on Virus Bulletin. It's their new RAP (reactive and proactive) tests. This is for their latest comparative for Linux. They've made it available to registered subscribers (paid and free) for this test. You do need to login to see the results.

Here's the link to the Virus Bulletin Linux RAP tests and here's the introductory text explaining the tests (copied from their site):

"The test measures products' detection rates across four distinct sets of malware samples. The first three test sets comprise malware first seen in each of the three weeks prior to product submission. These measure how quickly product developers and labs react to the steady flood of new malware emerging every day across the world. A fourth test set consists of malware samples first seen in the week after product submission. This test set is used to gauge products' ability to detect new and unknown samples proactively, using heuristic and generic techniques.

The test results are represented graphically. The three pale blue bars represent (from the left) weeks -3, -2 and -1, while the dark blue bar represents week +1. An overall 'RAP score' is also presented on the graph, which represents the average detection over the four weeks. In cases where products have generated false positives in our tests the background of the graph are coloured red and a large cross, together with 'FP' act as a warning to the user, showing the number of false positives generated.
    "

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

By the way folks, amongst competitors Avira and Eset, F-PROT had the highest pro-active/heuristic detection rates :thumb: Well done Frisk!

3. Arup

Arup Guest

I got that test report, Fprot did very well and kudos to them, Avast did better than Avira this time and as I have always said, Avast is one good AV and team Avast is always working and striving to make it a better product.

4. bahamot

bahamot Registered Member

Glad I'm using both avast and f-prot (both are free) on my Linux box.

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

At first glance, its a nice, in-depth test. Would be good if they done it for Windows products aswell.

Does anyone know how the on-access test was performed? Also, why/how was it ran from Windows (as mentioned in the Technical Specifications).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.