Another "Restricted Sites in red" problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by sb2922, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sb2922

    sb2922 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    Posts:
    6
    Here is my system info:

    Win98SE
    Dell Dimension 4100 desktop connecting via DSL
    McAfee Personal Firewall Express, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE Personal, McAfee Virus Scan, AOL 9.0 SE Safety and Security Center

    Here are my specific symptoms:

    Under the "Customize the Block List" box on the "Restricted Sites" tab, all but one of the 2629 item names are in red text (CoolWebSearch (50) at advert.exaccess.ru is in black text). Also, none of the entries except that black one were checked. (I do have the "Restrict the actions..." box at the top checked.)

    I placed checks by all items, then clicked to "protect against checked items," but the checks disappear (except for the single entry in black, that one stays checked) and the red text remains. The "Status" tab still shows 2629 items have protection disabled.

    I have never had Webroot SpySweeper. I -do- have many, many sites listed in IE's restricted sites section; however, when I try to add either a "trusted site" or a "restricted site" there, I can't. I get the following error msg: "There was an unexpected error with your zone settings. Unable to add this site."

    I've read the other posts regarding this issue, but so far I've been unable to fix it. Any thoughts? Thanks! --Steve
     
  2. sb2922

    sb2922 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    Posts:
    6
    Does anyone have a suggestion for this problem yet? My 2nd networked PC (HP running XP) does not have this same problem. SpywareBlaster appears to run normally on it, as expected. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
     
  3. Bubba

    Bubba Updates Team

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2002
    Posts:
    11,271
    While this in no way moves you closer to solving your problem....until you are able to determine which program of the ones you have mentioned above are contributing to this problem....Spywareblaster itself will not work properly nor will manually adding sites in IE.

    As far as the programs you have mentioned....Ad-Aware and Spybot without a doubt are not part of the problem and suggest you temporarily disable any and all programs that start up with your Win98 system by using MSconfig....reboot your PC and then check if you can manually add an item to either of IE's 2 zones or check if Spywareblaster is fuctioning properly.

    Bubba
     
  4. sb2922

    sb2922 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    Posts:
    6
    Thanks, Bubba. I took a look at someone else's similar problem and Dog's suggested solution at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=147115. He solved my problem in a snap! My resident AOL antispyware was the problem. Temporarily turning it off, then opening SB allowed it to enable protection for ALL restricted sites.

    Steve
     
  5. Bubba

    Bubba Updates Team

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2002
    Posts:
    11,271
    Glad you got it working Steve and was fairly confident that disabling AOL or one of your other programs temporarily as I mentioned in my first post would provide success.

    Take care,
    Bubba
     
  6. redwolfe_98

    redwolfe_98 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2002
    Posts:
    581
    Location:
    South Carolina, USA
    what a fluke.. it was lucky that you figured out what the problem was..

    i have had problems with my "zones" in IE, before.. what i used to fix the problem was "deldomains" which straitens things out..

    "deldomains" is listed on this page, where it says "To remove all the sites listed in the Restricted Zone"..

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm

    note the instructions to RIGHTCLICK (not leftclick) on the "deldomains" link, to download the file..
     
  7. Bubba

    Bubba Updates Team

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2002
    Posts:
    11,271
    While it want be too much of a bother....be advised that deldomains will delete the Domains key which means a users Trusted Sites will be removed also as noted in the deldomains.inf file itself.

    Bubba
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.