Active X Issue

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Snowie, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Its been several years since using active x on any computers an until recently have never had any regarding issues.........recently however, at assorted websites.....including some microsoft websites.......when "that" window pops up saying the page may not display correctly..(without active x).....BANG!! the computer totally freezes........no un-freezing......got to shut-down by the switch on the Tower....or pull the plug....in a manner of speaking.......

Anyone knows what up with this issue.....none of my computers ever freeze...not even under a major attack.......but this active x issue knocks then out instantly..........have lots of memory and ram.......nothing getting pass the firewall...( protected by file protection) ... for now the cause of this issue has eluded me.............any one have any thoughts that would like to share it would be appreciated..........thanks.

Snowie

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you eliminated your other Security\Privacy software that might be conflicting. In fact....would you mind sharing what programs you are using in regards to Security\Privacy Please.

3. Snowie

Snowie Guest

BUBBA

Thank you for responding. In answer to your question....many of my programs are privately made by a friend.....fe: the file protection.......blocks/prevents any changes....deletion, re-naming....etc....works exceptionally well.........but its not the cause.....it happens when not using the file protection........in fact, it happens WHEN ALL PRIVACY PROGRAMS ARE DISABLED......an nothing running but the firewall and anti virus........thats why the cause eludes me....have tryed disabling even the anti virus.........disabled script detection........

spyblaster is installed....have not tryed disabling its protection...whatca think ?

the firewall is blocking a few url's but nothing related to M$.....

Windows Scripting is enabled....its no danger under the circumstances....

strangely this issue does not happen at all websites.......a few weeks ago it began at the McAfee update website.....I actually called McAfee....who denied anything and everything.....but two hours after the phone call....the issue did not happen again at their update site.........

BUBBA, I am all but convince that this is some sort of an exploit that is being used to force people to enable active x.......an I am not making that statement lightly.......an only after being "hit" hard by this thing......I can get into a M$ website....if I try to download anything....the computers will freeze when being re-directed to the download site.......at other assorted websites just as soon as I enter the website and that warning window appears BANG...computer will freeze..........
    Have been playing with this for about three weeks an finally decide to post here in the forum......if we don't find an answer perhaps someone will see this post..be alerted....an research the cause........

By the way...DSO is install on all the computers (direct scripting object prevention)

Am not using a proxy...(not during the incidents) the only thing that I can see causing the issue is Active X is dis-abled........as to why this sudden freezing of the computers....I've no idea.......its happening on three computers........

4. Snowie

Snowie Guest

BUBBA, forgot to mention that the registries are tweaked extensively.....

Should also mention that the ISSUE began right before Christmas.....nothing had been changed on the computers....the ISSUE just suddenly began......

5. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Please excuse me....am having to step-back an look at what all is installed protection/security wise...

Got encryption for the Swap File........encrypts at start-up then in-active............got TrueCrypt but not presently in use.......got a blocking program as well....blocks numerous things..url's...an more....have disable it an the issue still occurs.................

had peerguardian on for awhile..removed it...issue still happens....

6. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Its as if a sudden SURG OF POWER is hitting the computer..( no, not actually...but its like that)....have got a memory manager that would handle a "surg"..........

7. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Seems rather pointless for me to continue this thread.....the issue is obvious not wide-spread.....which is good.......its more related to my particular set-up it would seem.....so, I wont waste anyone's time....an will just move on.....

BUBBA, thank you for your interest.......was appreciated.....I'll eventually work this out......just takes time.......seeya

Regards

Snowie The Snowman

8. StevieO

StevieO Guest

9. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Greetings StevieO

Have read your Post with much interest......thank you for giving of your time in this matter........

Am not FULLY understanding what you posted.....DDHELP is a part of direct X if I understand correctly...an would be dis-abled if active x is dis-abled.....as I understand it........below is an OLD link providing some info on ddhelp:

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/ddhelp.asp

***The ddhelp.exe process is a core component of Direct3D. Direct3D is used by programs to access the advanced features of the video and sound hardware installed in your computer. Without this process software on your computer will not work correctly as it will not be able to communicate with your graphic/sound hardware.

ddhelp.exe is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Direct draw helper may adversly impact your system. **********

If its needed for GRAPHIC HARDWARE then yes it could possibly be causing the ISSUE at hand.............what puzzles me is that the issue just started..........This is a recently re-formated computer with the latest release of Direct X (December release)......so perhaps that triggered something...........

This morning I've not been able to download anything from a microsoft website........needed an updated installer an had to download one from a third part website.....that could be dangerous......
    so, if I am understanding this correctly....the solution would be to ENABLE active x......(that wont happen) or tolarated the ISSUE (which I will if need be)...........hmmmmmmmmm, got to find a work around for this.....
    Am not a person who compromises with microsoft........many people do in order not to experience problems......instead I search for work arounds or, discontinue use of the service.......if at all possible.

Again, thank you for giving of your time....your effort is appreciated.

Regards

Snowie The Snowman

10. Snowie

Snowie Guest

ddhelp.exe
    ddhelp - ddhelp.exe - Process Information

Process File: ddhelp or ddhelp.exe

Process Name: DirectDraw Helper

Description: DirectDraw Helper, a part of DirectX and is used for graphics related services.

Company: Microsoft Corp.

11. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.