IE & Explorer Freezing problems

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by StevieO, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I've started a new thread so people don't automatically think it's just an AX issue and overlook it, as this may apply to them too.

I was reading snowies thread about some freezing up issues he has, and i also sometimes experience a similar thing, and have maybe found out why.

Active X Issue

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=118191

I too occasionly experience similar freezing of IE etc on a few sites. Sometimes i can CTL/F4 or C/A/D out of it or if that doesn't work kill it via Process Explorer or Starter, if they'll run in this condition, as sometimes i can't launch them. Often they don't solve it so i have to reboot and then everythings back to normal.

I don't have any ActiveX/Scripting/Java enabled for 99% of the time, and most surfing is just fine. Sometimes MS pops up an AX alert box for AS which os a bit misleading, so it could be that ?

I found out by accident that if you don't have ddhelp.exe available, then this seems to be either partly or totally connected with the events. I have Winsonar installed and ddhelp.exe wasn't included in my trusted Apps. This because i read somewhere that it could be connected with a potential security hole etc. It hardly ever seems to be required anyway.

Whilst in this mode earlier on today i visited wilders and Capps thread

I clicked on the ChatProbe link and i got frozen out, and i get an error saying "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close" This has happened several times before on his site, and as mentioned above, and i did mention it to him a few months ago. At the time there didn't appear to be any explanation as to why it might be, and as far as i know nobody else had said that it happened to them.

A little later on today i took WS out of "Kill all unknown processes while connected" and into "Fast scan" for a while to do some things. I then went back to the ChatProbe link and at the same time WS popped up an alert asking me if i wanted to include ddhelp.exe in the trusted Apps, if not i could kill it. I allowed it to keep on running and had no problems with the site. Why it happens on that particular site though with ddhelp.exe not running, i still don't know ?

This may or not be relevent to snowies or your issues, but i thought it's something that he and others might like to be aware of should you encounter something similar.

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.