Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    That might help, I'll try it next time.
    I run into these problems because I sometimes accidently double-click on items when I mean to click only once (nervous finger I guess) :)
    I'm so used to just tapping on the touchpad that I find it a bit awkward to use the left-click button.

Regards,
    Doug

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

winpe recovery cd
    less processes that only run when doing a backup
    make better images.
    acronis true image 9 makes to many corropt images.
    lodore

3. rexray

rexray Registered Member

Please consider supporting Intel-based Macintosh computers running Windows XP Pro via Apple's Boot Camp. These would include iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook and MacBook Pro. At present the Acronis boot loader doesn't enable USB or laptop built-in keyboard/trackpad. Thank you!

4. jumpfroggy

jumpfroggy Registered Member

As suggested in this thread, I'd love to see an option to turn off the "Backup" item on the context menu.

I don't use it, and it screws up the keyboard shortcuts (right click, press "B" usually goes to other things, now goes to True Image's "Backup" entry).

For now, I'm just deleting the Shell Extension out of the registry by hand. It'd be nice if there were a simple checkbox to disable this. From my point of view, no program should add anything unless there's a way to get rid of it too. Things like this that are forced on users just become inconvenient.

5. Alinor

Alinor Registered Member

Acronis TI 10 Home:
    Support for Thunderbird 2.0 in "Backup my Email"

Support for Thunderbird and Firefox 2.0 in "Backup my application data"

Creating a disaster recovery dvd in one shot (bootable backup medium including the full backup of my box)

I second the proposal of the poster above about the backup item in context menu and also the topic about starting services only if ti is running. I can understand why not foing this, but an option to enable/disable this would be fine

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

special removal tools to fully uninstall ATI 9.
    i uninstalled it via add/remove program and there is still a acronis service running. i wanted a ful uninstall and still do.
    lodore

7. Bill B Mason

Bill B Mason Registered Member

I found by searching that this has been said before, over a year ago, but I feel it's such a simple thing that it warrants repeating.

If you choose to protect the backup archive with a password, it should be required to enter it twice for confirmation.

Where a password is needed to run the backup application for access to files, this is already in place. I would submit that the need to enter the correct (not mistyped) password for the protection of the archive is much, much more important. A wrong password for the system access would be noticed straight away (error message). If the archive password was incorrectly entered, the first time you'd notice is when you need to access the backup which could be months later - after you lost the backed up file/system, except unfortuately you can't access the backup 'cause you made a mistake entering the password.

8. tecknomage

tecknomage Registered Member

TI needs to add a way to Save Jobs like WinXP Backup, without a schedule or have a schedule option "Manual" run.

9. Steve Darden

Steve Darden Registered Member

May I second your request? And add Mac Pro.

FYI, it appears that ATI may require the source disk to have an MBR Partition Table rather than GUID [the latter being the Boot Camp format].

10. emdjjdui

emdjjdui Registered Member

I am using ATI 10 Home edition.
    I would like to see an option to exclude searching inside .tib files when using windows explorer search. If I am looking for a certain .tib file, then I don't need to look inside the .tib files.

There is a handy utility to exclude .zip and .cab files from a search. Something similar for .tib would be useful.
    Thanks.

11. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Why can't you mount the image and then search on it ?

F.

12. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

How about software that works - an end to corrupt images, and end to being unable to restore for no apparent reason. A reliable secure zone, not having to update to the latest version everytime there is the smallest problem (normally rendering all back-ups unusable).

Basically this is a great software idea, terribly let down by shoddy programming.

London

13. foghorne

I think you are misunderstanding something. Corrupt images are usually a symptom of faulty hardware - not software.

F.

14. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

So Acronis say! However, my experience is that normally the images are oK, just that TrueImage won't restore - "corrupt image"!

Lon

15. foghorne

Actually I wasn't quoting Acronis, just my own experience. I have sorted this problem on five different systems to date. One was being overclocked, and three revealed memory faults after extensive memtest exercise. A fifth one was running with a recovery disk which was obsolete for the hardware. This last one was not really a hardware fault, but neither was it an application/software fault - just an incompatible driver.

F.

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I wish Acronis would change the message "corrupt image" to defective hardware
    being used or a more accurate description of the real problem. It is very misleading to say that the image is corrupt when often it is the USB cable, a poor connection, a cheap USB drive......... It is strange how a corrupt image when copied to a good drive often comes alive again.

17. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

Or when you try to restore from a boot disk instead of the secure zone....

Lon

18. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

In practical terms, when restoring the main system partition, there is no difference. The restore will take place in a Linux based rescue environment.

Regards

19. foghorne

If you have had this then it would suggest that the installed version of TI (and its Linux revovery environment) is a different build to the one used to create the recovery CD. See the 5th case in my post #666 below. You might want to check the build number of ATI on your recovery disk.

F.

20. kailasa108

kailasa108 Registered Member

Howdy,
    Being kinda new here, I'm not sure what's been on the list (sorry, I don't feel like reading through ALL the replies). I've used Norton Save & Restore, RestoreIT (basically a VERY buggy version of TI), and now TI10.

There are a couple of features from Norton's S&R that I would like to see included in TI.... They are:
    1. Ability to "archive" image backups - This consolidates all incrementals into ONE file (which cleans up the b/up directory space), and allows you to segment the remaining FULL and consolidated incremental b/ups into proper sizes to copy to optical media.
    2. Automatic (if selected) deletion of old FULL image b/ups and all incremental image b/ups with creation of NEW FULL image b/up at beginning of each month.
    3. B/up file management - ability to consolidate incremental b/ups into one incremental b/up file; ability to delete differential image b/up files over a certain date; ability to delete file b/ups over a certain date.

That's it. Thanks! TI has saved my butt more than once!

21. Wolf Ruediger

Wolf Ruediger Registered Member

Hi,

Acronis should deliver a warning message when attempting to create a full backup accidently using an already existing name.

In this case after start of an already existing task the full image destroyed an existing image by overwriting it WITHOUT ANY COMMENT.

wolf

22. foghorne

The trouble is that when using scheduled backups this is actually quite useful behaviour. If you have a Full backup and you generate differentials or incrementals from it, and you wish to periodically reset these, it can be achieved by scheduling a recreation of the full backup.

I think it is fine as it is.

F.

23. Wolf Ruediger

Wolf Ruediger Registered Member

Hi,
    Thanks for hint.

<... when using scheduled backups this is actually quite useful behaviour.>
    I've neglected this point of view.

wolf

24. jassethi2003

jassethi2003 Registered Member

I will appreciate if TI can implement the feature for appending the date and time of back up with file name as being done by many financial softwares for back up e.g. Microsoft Money etc.

25. Flutje

Flutje Registered Member

It would be more than excellent if one could browse and copy files from an image which is burned to a/several dvd(s).

Now, as far as I understand it, this can only be done when the image is on your harddrive. Not very handy.

I seemed to remember that Norton Ghost had this feature which was very usefull.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.