Remove the "backup" context menu entry?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jumpfroggy, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumpfroggy

jumpfroggy Registered Member

I have Acronis True Image 10 installed, Windows 2000. When I right click on any file I get the "Backup" entry on the context menu. How do I remove this?

2. jumpfroggy

Nevermind, just figured it out...
    Did registry search for "{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}", found it on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers" and a few others (Folder, Directory, etc). Got rid of the ContextMenuHandlers\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751} keys and it's gone. Thank goodness... why isn't there an option in the program to disable shell extensions?

3. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

With a handy little program called ShellExView, can be found here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jumpfroggy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that we do not recommend removing/editing any references of Acronis True Image from the registry since it may lead to incorrect functioning of the program.

Actually, this is one of the options of Acronis True Image, one-click backup. It allows you to launch the backup wizard by right-clicking on a disk, file or folder icon and selecting Backup in the context menu. The program will automatically mark the selected item for backup.

If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. jumpfroggy

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay; I accidentally did not have this topic subscribed, I do now. You mention that the context menu entry is an "Option", but that confuses me. Where can I turn this option off within True Image 10? I've looked under Tools->Options, and don't to find anything mentioning "one-click backup".

If you meant to say this is a bundled "feature" and not optional at all, then it seems I would have to edit the registry to get rid of it. I put in a request on the requests forum, just in case. But with every program putting an entry or two on the context menu, it ceases to be useful and instead becomes a jumbled mess. Especially when they're not optional.

CatFan432, I'm going to try that program and see if it works for me. Looks great though, similar to Autoruns and Hijack this...

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

jumpfroggy,

I strongly recommend your looking at a program called Mmm Free from http://www.hace.us-inc.com/

This program enables you to move items from your Right Click Context menu off to another submenu for seldom used item. I find it helpful and like it a lot. I like to add my own items to the Right Click Menu and this program helps keep it neat and small--or expand it with menus as much as you want.

There is both a free version and shareware version. I think it is worth paying for.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Not free but a worthy program that, among other things, allows manual control of the context menu items is x-setup:

http://www.x-setup.net/

I have no connection to the outfit; just find the prgram useful.

sh

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jumpfrogg,

We are sorry for not being accurate enough in explanation.

Yes, you are right. The "One-click backup" is a new feature of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, which is not optional and cannot been turned on\off via Acronis True Image interface.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. Demonolic

Demonolic Registered Member

10. Demonolic

Demonolic Registered Member

And another great little tool!!!

11. jumpfroggy

CatFan432 and GroverH,
    Thanks so much for the recommendations, I always hate it when programs install crap on those context menus. Fixed for now, but I'm sure I'll be revisiting this when I inevitably reinstall windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.