360 Total Security - English

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ifacedown, Apr 23, 2014.

1. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

My personal advice, do not ever run tests on a production machine. Under virtual machine [VMWare or VirtualBox], it is OK. The latest version even has unknown sample uploading for cloud analysis, which should increase protection a bit.
    In all seriousness, what are the chances of you deliberately finding an unknown malware? Would you on purpose open an unknown attachment or run run_me_haxor.exe program, without sandboxing it first to see what it might do? Unsure about provided webpage link? Sandbox the browser and go to the web page. Still, over 500 million users, and say 1% gets infected, which Qihoo would get the samples, you'd still be pretty covered against at least 80% you would encounter during normal web usage. Testing security solutions should be, like, a hobby or something, for fun, not a game changer.
    Here's additional personal experience. I used to use Comodo Internet Security, which I believe is creme-de-la-creme of security solutions. But, sometimes you get tired of all the good stuff being blocked because the program does not know yet if it is safe or not, manual exclusions etc... Even in clean pc mode. Even though it would stop nearly ALL threats, I grew tired of management, and decided to try Qihoo. Now, Internet Security can be chatty [aren't all HIPS's?], but TS is really quiet AND DOES IT'S JOB. On a very rare occasion I noticed a notification from TS, which I like for my family, I still get very good protection at no expense, no answering to calls, in case of false positive, I get it out of quarantine and tick to trust the file, has internal sandbox with spawned files/folders so I can see if there's anything suspicious, if it is malware, heuristics will catch it in sandbox, wish there was a firewall or at least windows firewall module integrated for faster/simpler rules.
    You might want to consider choosing a security solution that "just works" out for you. Like, it does not slow down your pc, you are familiar with using, know it's capabilities and just, you know, use your PC for whatever pc is used for nowadays....
    No matter what you choose, always pair your e-sec solution with Human Brain Extreme Internet Security 2015 Premium, which is free, free as in beer. It has great heuristics, behavior monitoring system, preventive and proactive shield, and let's you be in control of, well, everything. That's the beauty of it :)

2. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

I was using Qihoo 360 IS the last 6-7 months untill they updated 4.9.4901 with a strange issue as result, icon dissapearing and reloop install from webshield... so its was time to try something else after this buggy update from 360IS.
    Not sure if this bug has been fixed now ?

3. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

And to make matters worse their BD and Avira defs are almost always 1 or 2 days out of date and never actually up to date.

4. GakunGak

Not using IS so can't help. Did you try to contact them?

5. Pat MacKnife

6. LunarWolf

LunarWolf Registered Member

I am using Q360IS. It would seem that they fix that bug cause I don't have that issue anymore

7. Pat MacKnife

Thanks for information

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

At my parents house, trying to download 360TS via Chrome, and Chromes built in malware scanner keeps flagging the file as Malware. Anyone else seeing this? Was able to download it in MS Explorer.

9. Pat MacKnife

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. GakunGak

Thanks for the update!

11. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

What`s the changes ?

12. Pat MacKnife

I dont know, not using TS
    Maybe someone else can tell about any changes.

13. GakunGak

Most probably bugfix version, since I notice anything new.
    One thing that caught my eye is the LOG, under menu [where sandbox button is, next to it], I like it.
    Apparently there is some Expo in 2 days from now, most likely they will announce new things at that time or later.
    Specifically, confirmed "soon" status is for:
    1: 360 Web Browser, new things will be added
    2: Windows XP users will get antiexploit version of Qihoo, in better words, http://www.360.cn/weishi/index.html this will be translated. So, even with no patch on XP, qihoo will protect it continuously.
    3: TS will get new things at a later date, once it passes testing.

14. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

can you elaborate more on 3:, please ?

15. GakunGak

No, as Qihoo has the last word what goes out in the next version. All you can do is provide wishlist via email/facebook and they will take it under
    consideration. If the feature is worth it, they will put it. Sandbox was in due to popular demand....
    EDIT: They announced new stuff will be announced on their FB page:
    360 Security Center
    June 4
    1 week left until Mobile Asia Expo in Shanghai! Stay tuned for new product updates and announcements next week!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...41826.414626141967240&type=1&relevant_count=1
    Here is my transcript with them in total:
    ====================================
    • Dear Qihoo 360,

I would like to make a suggestion for future features for your flagship product:

1: Manage other devices: auto discover 360TS installations on LAN network [or same router] and manage them via centralized
      menu in program GUI: trigger update, virus scan, silent optimization. This would save a lot of sys admin a lot of work.
      2: Try to make internal program update more accurate: like try to check for new program version every 2 hours, most of the time
      there is a new program version on the website, yet in internal updater in program says it is up to date.
      3: In total checkup mode, still cannot find details of what was found and to choose to trust/ignore the scan result, only after cleaning
      and checking LOG we can see what was actually done.
      4: Fullscreen/game mode: In fullscreen [video playback], suppress all alerts and auto resolve threats, in game mode, switch to performance mode and postpone updates, scans and auto process threats it finds. After exiting, revert to previous mode.
      5: Make a screensaver full system scan [with a nice wallpaper, 360 logo]. Also some desktop wallpapers/fan page, you guys make awesome graphics and positive color composition
      6: Maybe a personal cloud integration with backup/sync features
      7: RAM memory management, gadget [optional install/show] to free up disk/ram/cpu usage.
      8: Program usage notifier: slide notification that process xyz.exe is using ### mb of ram or 95%cpu, not needed for normal operations, recommend to close to increase performance etc....
      9: Third party program updater would be nice, like fixing outdated java/flash, and keeping most popular programs up to date.
      10: A nice separate 360 page on the website, showing various near-realtime information, for example www.kaspersky.com/viruswatch3 Some users may not use all of the components of Total Security, so I suggest the following:

Make basic installer, check components that user wants to install, for example:
      1: antivirus, install only cloud, install with bitdefender, install with avira, install with all antivirus engines enabled
      2: check up: do not install, install but do not enable, install enabled
      3: sandbox: do not install, install but do not enable, install enabled

Of course, those not installed components should be installable from main GUI in case a user changes his mind.
      For existing installations, have on/off switch for those main components.

For mobile phones, Android for example, have user account and remote control via web site or main 360 program GUI, also connected. Scan, clean & optimize, find phone, remote enable gps, take frontal camera photo, ring tone, erase all contents & backup data to cloud.

Much appreciated your consideration.
      1 · June 3 at 11:16am
      • https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-xfp1/t1.0-1/p24x24/999638_492089727554214_1385396314_n.png
        360 Security Center Hi, thank you for your detailed suggestions! These comments are vital to our long term success! To answer a few of your concerns.

Firstly, we currently don't offer centralized control because that would be an enterprise version capability. Our product is designed for personal use, thus multiple computer protection is not our top concern at the moment.
        Secondly, it is by design that our auto update comes a bit later than our install package on website. We want to make sure that our program is working correctly, before mass distributing to our existing users. We are considering launching new version simultaneously.
        Thirdly, whitelist is currently on our radar, hopefully we will implement it soon.
        Lastly, all other improvements that you provided will be carefully considered, it is our hope to provide the best product for users.
        2 · June 3 at 8:56pm
    ====================================

16. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

A few comments for Qihoo fans:

1). The last 4 digits in the build number of 360TS is just indicative of the database and does not mean that anything was added/changed to the application itself.
    2). The issue with the Proactive module in TS still exists. Undetected malware will be allowed to autostart without a peep from 360TS. This is a VERY bad thing. 360IS will in most cases prevent autostart of malware.
    3). The Proactive module of TS will also miss some important system changes done by malware, such as the replacement of something like notepad.exe with a malicious version (not a good thing for notepad to automatically connect to Algeria). 360IS is aware of such changes.
    4). Both 360TS and 360IS will miss simple script malware. Both will allow the autostart of and transmission by malware using wscript.exe. This is not so much a Qihoo issue as just about everything else will be fooled by this.

Suggestions:

Bad- Using 360TS alone
    Better- Using 360IS alone
    Best- Either of the above with CF (HIPS off, Sandbox at Full V, Firewall at Safe).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  17. Malware fighter

CT stands for... ?

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Meant CF (Comodo Firewall). Above edited (I really must hire a proofreader).

Thanks for the correction!

19. Malware fighter

at first thought so, but when started to articulate letters, decided to ask, maybe I forgot some abreviations:)

20. happysurf

happysurf Registered Member

21. GakunGak

With all due respect, why would someone try to run/execute/install something unknown/suspicious?
    Or, why would someone try to infect himself on purpose?
    With that in mind:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10431528_629081487188370_2725620225200038259_n.jpg

Also, http://www.360safe.com/news/?cat=1
    As of March 31, 2014, Qihoo 360 had 479 million PC users and 538 million smartphone users.
    Which is way more than enough for normal user to be infected, because by that time the malware is/will be known, thanks to sample submission.
    Now, as for the suggestions, my personal opinion is:
    1: Using TS alone, more than enough for people sick of HIPS chatting and people who just want to use the pc the way it's supposed to
    2: Using IS alone, for those who might like answering a popup every now and then, with knowledge whether to block driver installation, registry or startup entry.
    3: Either with Comodo, for those who like administration of their PC, are paranoid of infections and like to run tests, visit high risk sites and disabling sandbox due to [not all programs are known] Comodo not knowing EVERYTHING and what is unknown will get sandboxed. Which can be fatal to newbie wondering, why his newly custom installed program won't work? And what's sandbox? What's geekbuddy popup, am I infected with adware? What's privdog and do I need it? Why is there a green thing boxing my program and why do I not have any changes after restart?
    Some things, although superior in theory, do have a devastating effect in real life, because, well, not everyone is a techie, and not everyone has spare change to pay PC tech to fix something because it offers superior protection, while making certain stuff unavailable/not working.

22. GakunGak

Try to enable/disable ClearType font, also check Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display, see if changing those settings do any effect?

23. happysurf

The problem is not the font rendering but the type of font that seems completely wrong.

24. GakunGak

Very well. Could you please go to Qihoo TS, menu, Feedback, describe the problem, attach image and see what their reply is?

25. happysurf

Yes, I will do it today.
    It's a very strange problem because on other PC with XP is not present.
    Thank you for suggestion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.