McAfee Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tom772, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom772

tom772 Guest

AS you guessed it my question ,is about McAfee firewall plus.

What do you all at Wilders think of it?

How do you compare it with others like kerio, zonlab, LnS, Norton etc?

How does it run with Kas, McAfee, Nod32 and Bitdefender antivirus protection?

What features does it have?

;;:)thanks guys/girls

2. tom772

tom772 Guest

I guess no one like it? oh well ;)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used mcafee's firewall through several versions and it seemed to work just fine. I don't have anything bad to say about it. ;)

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

In the field of photography, there is a well-known axiom:

"Careful photographers run their own tests."

-rich

5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I can second bigc's opinion.....I've used Personal Firewall Plus and found it to be very good, and very informative. It may not be as "customizable" in certain aspects as some, but it passed on all of the leak and port tests that I put it through (showing all ports were stealthed). I especially like the detailed info....regarding the number of blocked inbound events, the date and time they occured, and the Source IP addresses of attempts that were blocked as well as the tracing and reporting (through HackerWatch) features that it offers.

Overall, I'd say it is very good, and very under-rated. Most of the independent tests and reviews that I have seen for it give it high marks as a quality firewall as well.

6. tom772

tom772 Guest

Thanks guys! i have used it and just wondered what people thought of it!:)

7. bigc73542

here is a list of the PC Firewalls that are certified by ICSA.

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Just received the last of 7 emails from people whom I asked about their firewall, 4 use McAfee. Unscientific survey, but interesting results.

I still suggest, however, that you test several yourself.

-rich

9. tom772

tom772 Guest

big c i know your not the firewall mod, but if you were recommending a really good firewall that was hard as nails, blocks port scans/pings tec etc what would it be?

Another question is would McAfee work well with Kas or Nod32?

cheers
    Tom

10. bigc73542

I have used mcafee firewall with both Nod and Kav. As far as which firewall I would choose ?, I really think the new ZoneAlarm ver.6 is going to be a good one. I tried it and it really runs a lot lighter than the last few versions. Actually I couldn't sense any system drag from it. I am behing a hardwall firewall so really all I want out of a soft firewall is app. control. And the new ZA 6 seems to do that well.

bigc

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  11. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I had good luck with McAfee Firewall but am ultra-impressed with Look N Stop's Firewall. Its easy to run, ultra light and tops most of the firewall tests I have seen... :eek:

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Most current software firewalls will do a good job blocking unsolicited inbound packets. It really boils down to what configuration options and other functionality you may want out of a firewall.

I have not heard of any conflicts.

Regards,

CrazyM

13. chia

chia Registered Member

I've just started using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus over the last week, thought I'd give it a try since my ISP gives it to their subscribers for free. I must say that I'm impressed with it. I, like some others here, also like the details and info it provides. No problems with my other security apps (GData AVK & BOClean). It does what I need it to do and I'll probably end up keeping it on here for awhile. :)

14. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

cheers guys and girls!

15. dread

dread Registered Member

I love it myself. Seen several other firewalls that when you hit allow a app to get on the net and have full rights that wouldnt happen, you have to go in and open the port on the software firewall lol. Seen problems with several firewalls not allow remote assistance even if you told it to allow remote assistance. Seen others if you allowed the app and ran a security check what ever port that app was running would be open when you ran the security check. Mcafee has none of them problems.

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I just discovered that Comcast allows me to use this free - it looks like for the length of my Comcast high speed internet subscription. That's very tempting, as it's a solid firewall with IDS.

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

When you allow an app full access in McAfee's firewall, aren't you giving that app server rights? I'm not that familiar with McAfee's firewall, so I'm not sure. I don't want to give any app server rights unless it's absolutey necessary. I'm used to Zone Alarm, and maybe McAfee's firewall works differently.

18. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Just give it outbound access.

19. Graystoke

For some reason that didn't work with all the apps when I tried it a while back. All the McAfee stuff and IE went back to allow full access after rebooting.

20. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

All the McAfee services will need full access to the internet as well as the following>

> Application Layer gateway Service

> Win 32 Services

> Services and Control App

Any other services programs should either have outbound or block access to them. The only other thing that should have full access is Firefox or IE,

hope this helps

T

21. Graystoke

Yes it does. Thanks Tom

22. Tech-2005

Tech-2005 Guest

Zone Alarm Pro 6 is really awsome !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.