BOClean: Is a new version likely soon?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by AShaR, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Although BOClean is offering a great deal as their offer stands with the current release, there are a couple of things which need to be cleared up. The free upgrades apply only to this version of BOClean - from their website:

The next version of BOClean will be offered to customers at half price.

Some questions:

1) Does this mean that if I buy BOClean current version I would have to pay half price again if a new version was released in a month?

2) Will the user licence still allow downloads to more than one pc?

3) Will updates still be free for the life of the product (new version)

4) When can we expect a new version if indeed there is going to be one?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It is always best to contact the vendor directly to obtain the most current pricing and licence information.

That said, my interpretation of this posting is that any BOClean owner who made the purchase from 15 Nov 2003 will receive a free upgrade to BOClean 5.

I assume that determination will be made at release time. I believe that you have to allow vendors some flexibility with respect to future developments, although I've not seen any indication that they are about to change the current license structure.

Do you mean program updates or definition updates? That answer may be different for each, although I do not know the answer to either question.

My personal opinion on this is that given the explosion in trojans and other malware over the past year or so, providing free definition file updates for the life of a product is not a commercially viable approach. In the past, this practice was easy to understand since the relatively slow appearance of new trojans allowed a vendor/programmer to work on both updating the application and maintaining current definition file coverage of the new malware. The volume of new malware now appearing on the scene basically means that a relatively high percentage of staff time simply has to be focused solely on creating new definitions. The only way to support this on an on-going basis is to have a revenue stream that pays for this activity.

I know that some of the major AT producers have continued to provide free definition file updates to all users for the lifetime of a product. At some point, and again this is my personal opinion, all vendors will have to bite the bullet and start providing these updates on a subscription basis.

Although PSC announced that work had commenced on version 5 in 2003, this post suggests that some of the patching being done by Microsoft may be hindering progress, at least that's my interpretation.

As is my usual recommendation, although it is useful to understand update/upgrade policies as far as they are defined for future releases, it is really important to make purchasing decisions based on what is available and can be installed on your machine today. Don't make decisions on what could be available at some future date since implementation and availability details are always fluid.

Blue

3. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

That would be great but I think it may have been superceded by the statement which appears on their website which says:

Value based, or feature based version releases will be offered in the future at half the regular price to our customers.

In any case I will follow up your suggestion to contact BOClean directly and see if I can get an answer.

I meant definition updates. At the moment there are free updates for the life of the product, whereas some rivals charge for a yearly license.

That is fair enough, but then customers on a budget may be paying for an AV whixh provides pretty good AT protection in any case. I use McAfee and it is very good. However I have a family pc running Avast as well, and would be prepared to pay for a dedicated AT for peace of mind, which is why I am drawn to BOClean as the costs are at the moment a one off payment.
    I understand that and you are right of course. Just trying to get a rough idea of what might be in the works as when there hasn't been a new release for some time it's usually a fair bet there will be one in the pipeline. Thanks for your answers in any case, very useful. :)

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Kevin might be holding out to see what TDS4 looks like. LOL they could be waiting a long time. There have been some interesting hints tossed out there. However, I would hope they aren't going to wait much longer to release version 5 because BOClean is losing sales to Ewido and other AT apps due to lack of an OD scanner.

They've had nearly a year to deal with MS patching, I doubt that's still an issue any longer from a development perspective.

Lastly... version 5 will be half price. If they have an interim release for version 4, I think it's safe to assume that it will be free. Same policy as with every other developer.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  5. john2g

john2g Registered Member

How do you know that?

Most people already have an OD scanner: I use SAV.

6. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

I don't think on demand scanners are essential, there are at least two out there that are free, and very good ones at that.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

What I found by visiting the above link was a blatant case of BOClean doing a bash job on one of its competitors, A-square.

BOClean started the bashing on their own forum, and then, when A-square tried to give its side of the story, the BOClean rep answered, "We're not going to play this "my toy is better" anymore." Amazing!

8. BlueZannetti

bellgamin,

I posted the link to provide a firm reference to the statement regarding a publicly stated purchase start date for free upgrades when BOClean 5 arrives.

You're quite right, that specific example offered in that thread was not appropriate, and for those researching a purchase in 2005, the specific comparison is now, obviously, out of date.

Blue

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hmmm... :doubt: a war of words and a little boasting..."bashing" I think is a little strong. A nice lively debate is good. I see no need to rush out 5. We just got 4.12.

Oh by the way on my Emachine I use A2 Free scanner and BoClean I like them both. As far as the $$, I have used BoClean on two home machines for several years I think I started with 4.10 does that sound right? Half price...I will be glad to contribute to the cause....see below ;)

10. tazdevl

Read other threads in the forum, on the net, pretty easy to read the tides. BTW most people don't have an AT OD scanner, most security enthusiasts do.

When an OD scanner is a consideration as part of the AT purchase process, there's a gap in expectations that needs to be addressed. BOClean is the only one that doesn't have an OD scanner out of the popular ATs. Lastly BOClean 5 wouldn't have an OD scanner if the gang at PSC didn't feel it was necessary.

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Competition is getting tougher and the nasties are getting more difficult too...I'll agree on that basis ;)

12. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Oh you mean getting caught between a rock and a hard place, then? :D

13. sinbad370

sinbad370 Registered Member

I have noticed this, too. Over the last year the threads have changed; it’s no longer just the big 3.

14. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Sure they would. I've seen Kevin say--many times--that the only reason he'll be adding a file scanner to BOClean is to satisfy the demand for it; and not because he personally sees a need for it. In typical Kevin fashion, he's derided the desire for an on-demand scanner as wanting a "Fisher-Price busybox" to play with... A quote I admit to have stolen for my own use, since I agree with it.

I'm really not sure why anyone would demand a file scanner in BOClean. First of all, the whole raison d'etre of BOClean was that it had a unique approach, and picked up where your shitty AV scanner left off. Secondly, if you want a toy to play with, there are a slew of free ones available. But come on now--what "security enthusiast" who demands a file scanner in BOClean doesn't already have two or ten AT file scanners already? Are you going to tell me that you don't already have A2 and/or Ewido and/or TDS-e and/or TH installed?

Why can't the people who have always liked BOClean for what it is have it kept that way? Why must PSC be forced to bastardize BOClean into conformity? Why have them waste hours and hours of dev time on a "Fisher-Price busybox", rather than make it a solid product in other aspects... Or rather than getting it done months sooner?

15. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Damn skippy.

Couldn't agree more!

:D

16. Mephisto

Mephisto Guest

One of the other big reasons Bo Clean loses out in sales to other scanners is that Bo Clean is absolutely the only Anti-Trojan scanner that does not have a trial version. I would never put down the kind of money they want for this program without ever even seeing it let alone testing it.

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

True they do not have a trial but they do honour their no quibble money back guarantee if you have any problems. :)

Pilli

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I can understand that...Anywho, I did and I don't regret it. I also believe that they are the only anti-trojan company that offers a homeuser to install on multiple machines (under 5 in household). Which makes it a pretty good deal.

19. BlueZannetti

Mephisto,

I had similar qualms previously also.., until I noticed that complaints regarding BOClean were virtually absent, that kudos to Nancy and Kevin regarding support were very prevalent, that the opinions of many who I had grown to respect were univeral in their positive opinion of BOClean, and the clincher (as already mentioned by Namor) were the licensing terms. I was so impressed after purchasing a discount copy that I went with a direct PSC purchase to outfit a new PC when we grew to 5 PC's in my home.

I recommend BOClean with qualification to any who ask my opinion.

Blue

20. tazdevl

My point was that they deemed it necessary because they were losing sales.

Step off the soapbox and eat more fiber. I've been happy with BOClean, except for the lack of resolution of some CPU spikes I'm seeing.

21. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Originally Posted by nameless
    quote (doesn't work too good:))
    Sure they would. I've seen Kevin say--many times--that the only reason he'll be adding a file scanner to BOClean is to satisfy the demand for it; and not because he personally sees a need for it. In typical Kevin fashion, he's derided the desire for an on-demand scanner as wanting a "Fisher-Price busybox" to play with... A quote I admit to have stolen for my own use, since I agree with it.

I'm really not sure why anyone would demand a file scanner in BOClean. First of all, the whole raison d'etre of BOClean was that it had a unique approach, and picked up where your shitty AV scanner left off. Secondly, if you want a toy to play with, there are a slew of free ones available. But come on now--what "security enthusiast" who demands a file scanner in BOClean doesn't already have two or ten AT file scanners already? Are you going to tell me that you don't already have A2 and/or Ewido and/or TDS-e and/or TH installed?

Why can't the people who have always liked BOClean for what it is have it kept that way? Why must PSC be forced to bastardize BOClean into conformity? Why have them waste hours and hours of dev time on a "Fisher-Price busybox", rather than make it a solid product in other aspects... Or rather than getting it done months sooner?

I think you are right about this all, so I won't just repeat you...But I say this:I think that the best part of boclean is their memory scanner so lets leave it that way...
    There isn't a need for a plain file scanner...as long as Bocleanis is doing what it's supposed to do then that would be great...just be good in one thing, be the best and get specialized in it then do what everybody is doing and partially free.

22. bellgamin

Perhaps for the same reason that the kid who lives next door bought a 9-year old, very ordinary Nissan Sentra, then put the following crap-o-la on it: dual exhausts, a spoiler, a boom-box that melts the wax in your ears from 3 blocks away, & mega-bucks worth of wheels & tires so huge that you practically need a ladder to climb into his car.;)

23. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I can see how they would be losing sales, given how so many users are clamoring for a file scanner, and criticizing BOClean's lack of one. And when biased reviewers do the same thing, of course it's going to hurt their sales.

How very creative of you. I'd be the first to admit that I'm very opinionated, but since when is there something wrong with giving one's opinion? OK, so I came off strong--I'm hoping some people find it a nice contrast to the nonstop ass-kissing that goes on in this place.

24. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

at least: if he isn't too lazy to climb on such a ladder :D
    for the same money, he will let someone else drive his car...

25. bellgamin

I found your tongue-in-cheek remarks to be hilariously droll. As to the kissing of equus asinus -- if the donkey doesn't mind, why not? :D

Meanwhile, back on the thread: a beautiful combination (for those who want to OD on OD) is BOClean + a-squared free. The best of all possible worlds IMHO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.