Best Cleaner Program?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Straight Shooter, Jan 6, 2003.

?

What do you think is the best cleaner out there?

1. Windows Washer?

21 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Tracks Eraser Pro?

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. IE Clean?

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. IClean (Internet Sweeper)?

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. System Cleaner - Evidence Washer?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. System Mechanic

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Windows Disk Cleanup and/or Freeware (Please Post)

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Other (Please Post)

78 vote(s)
    60.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I presently own Windows Washer, but I head that "bleached" items can be recovered. I am trying to decide if I should buy and replace it with Track Eraser Pro. Also, I am looking for opinions on System Mechanic.. I personally like some parts of the program, but I think it does a poor job at cleaning (Index.dat, other)

Thanks

2. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I like Window Washer and if Luv2bsecure likes it...well it's gotta' be good ! :D
    As for System Mechanic, it's a great proggie and I like that as well, but I don't think it's main function is to wipe internet tracks and .dat files.
    I'll leave that to programs similar to Window Washer and IE Clean, Tracks Eraser, etc....
    After you use Window Washer, you could always follow it up with Clean Disk Security or Eraser to "wipe" or "overwrite" all deleted files !!
    JMHO

regards,
    bill ;)

3. Can you provide me a link to CleanDisk Security? I never heard of it, and tried different types of searches.. I would just like to check it out. Thanks ... :rolleyes: :D

4. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Try here...

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/clndisk.html

regards,
    bill :)

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi guys:

The trouble is, there is no ONE just "best" cleaner. A lot overlap greatly but do not do a *complete* job on its own.

Also it depends what you are *cleaning*.

So, I use 5 cleaners.

1] System Mechanic [put that first simply because it was the very first "cleaning" program I ever got, around 4 years ago].

2] Internet Sweeper [does a great job of managing cookies plus it can delete the Index.dat file (after a reboot) and your IE history, temp files, etc].

3] Spybot S&D [ABSOLUTELY]

4] jv16 Power Tools [Very Powerful little set of tools. Although caution is required until you *know* what you are looking at in cleaning]

5] MRU Blaster [OF COURSE]

Each has its own little functions, even IE itself can "clean" to a certain extent.

Haven't tried Window Washer, and am looking at IE Clean at the moment, recommended quite a bit in these forums.

Cheers.

6. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Bill!

Just a comment about Window Washer.....It's very good for average use. I always run it for "insurance" after I run my main cleaning program, which is Tracks Eraser Pro. That way WW wipes my TEP log file ;)

I think everyone should at least give it a try (free trial) - and be sure to check out the Plug-In Maker. Also make sure it's the PRO version.

Tracks Eraser Pro is at: www.acesoft.net.

Oh, and Tassie made several good points. There always seems to be some weakness in one of the programs. That's why I like TEP - it's all done right. Also, one can't write about this topic without mentioning MRUBlaster - great little proggy!

John
    Luv2BSecure

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Oh bugger luv2bsecure:

Now you have put the cat amongst the pigeons :) with that program Tracks Eraser Pro.

*Another* proggy I will have to have a little bo-peep at mate.

Thanks!

Cheers.

[As Tassie wobbles off into the sunset loaded down with his "cleaning" aids he mutters to himself &^%$* pests that need all this flamin' attention]

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, I believe the only people who could cast an honest vote would be someone who has actually used every single one of these programs. Anyway, I have used two of these so I will offer my opinions on them.

IEClean: This program cleans only the privacy and security stuff. It is not a registry, dead shortcuts or duplicate file cleaner. But it does clean EVERYTHING having to do with privacy. Kevin McAleavey, who is known for his excellent Tech Support, has done an excellent job designing this program. The thing I liked most about it (I no longer use it since I upgraded my IE) is that it completely cleaned out all of my index.dat files every single time I logged off or on, I don’t remember which; I had to take no extra steps. It was a little confusing to configure but that’s only because it has so many options: read the excellent help files that you can download and read before making a decision to purchase.

System Mechanic: This program is an all around system cleaner similar to Norton CleanSweep. This does have a registry cleaner, etc. I do like this program, which I still have, but be careful with the cleaners: others have complained and I can vouch for the fact that it incorrectly identifies some registry entries and unneeded files that are OK to delete but that really are not. I have had to dive into my backups to retrieve some files that I still needed. On my older Win98 system this program has a heavy hit on my System Resources so I use it at the end of the day before turning my system off for the night. This program has a lot to it and overall I do like it, just be careful what you delete.

Take care, Acadia

9. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

:)

John
    Luv2BSecure

10. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

For IEClean users:

Does IEClean have the option to 'Clean on browser shutdown'?

Thanks,

Bill

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I use evidence eliminator. Alkthough the marketing they use is horrible, the product is fantastic.

Can be got for $70 if you look about.

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

l2bs - I'm trialing TEP (pretty sure I'm going to purchase).

I guess you know that you don't have to have TEP keep a log to begin with, correct? It's in the Options/Security/Turn Logging Off area.

I've found that "best pratice" with any of these programs is to disable logging entirely - as long as you know what you're doing, of course.

Seems rather counter-productive to have erased things and then having any kind of a "list" hanging around of what you erased.

Also (as a heads' up for anyone using/contemplating using TEP - you'll get a FP hit on it if you're running the SBS&D 1.3 beta - reference this thread: http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=9877&st=30. Patrick hasn't responded to this issue as of yet). Pete

13. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I've used Window Washer for years, however I cannot comment on how it compares to the others. I am happy with it for the most part.

14. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

i have Window Washer and Privacy Eraser Pro. what i like about Privacy Eraser Pro is their plug-in builder, much better and configurable than the plug-in builder of Window Washer. i think whats more important is the ability to create your own plug-ins, because not all of the software i have can be clean by the two so i create my own plug-ins for them. Tracks Eraser Pro has a nice plug-in builder too.

15. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

RegSeeker for registry.
    jv16 power tools for remainder. ;)

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use the cleaner in my security suite-- guardian pc cleaner plus regcleaner 4.3 *puppy*

17. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I use both jv16 Power tools and Reg Seeker. But I am cautious: I always make a back up before deleting any keys. It's too easy to mess up with the registry especially when you begin. In doubt, leave the registry alone or do it under good supervision /or/ ask someone else's proper advice.

Here's a list of registry cleaners I found.
    (Many of them are new to me)

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/soft20.htm

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have used Ace Utilities for lo, these many moons. Very good schtuff.

19. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

As a 'cleaner', I use Kevin Solway's CleanDiskSecurity. I've also tried Emailarms' EvidenceDestructor. I liked this one: it runs automatically at shutdown and is highly configurable, but the $$$ difference between it and CDS forced me to the former.

Also, don't neglect the 'cleaning' options in Xteq's X-Setup. These work, and cost absolutely nothing.

20. lvhkyjr2

lvhkyjr2 Registered Member

what about software installation monitor/uninstaller programs? Thinking about Ashampoo Uninstaller Suite, but it comes with alot of extra features I really dont need.

21. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

If you feel a need for an uninstaller, I've never had any problems with Norton's CleanSweep.

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I like Ace Utilities.
    The registry cleaner and junk file remover are very good.
    The plugins are nice too.

23. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Although I've not tried it yet, I found another free regcleaner specific to Windows XP. It also works with Windows 2000 I will try it and tell about it in a week or two to see if it's worth downloading... :)

RegsScrubXP

Description

"...As any other cleaner it would delete junk made to the registry are fully restorable to it's original condition. You can make an exclusion list of registry entries that RegScrubXP will not display as problems. You can sift through a list of file extensions, company names, run upon startup programs, Internet Explorer history, and uninstall programs to delete what you think is junk. Tweak the registry with the easy to use tweaker! Additional Tips & Tweaks help file with dozens of XP tweaks!..."snip>

I want to check the following :)

The accuracy of the "obsolete" entries or shortcuts found.
    Will it back up properly? Will it work as well as Jv16?
    Will it be a friendly program...? They said that *"Fred Langa loved it more than Jv16 Power tools!!!* There will be updates that you can get afterwards. That sounds good! :) Jv 16, the freeware version cannot be updated anymore. :oops:

*Who's that chapo_O* After a research, I discovered that he's a freelance computer/web author... :D

Let see how it goes now... :cool:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2048.html

24. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I didn't see that much freeware listed so I'l voted for freeware and I'll post the freeware I use.

Cleanup http://cleanup.stevengould.org/
    It cleans up really good. :D

Eraser I'm sure people know the link to Eraser. if not here it is. http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

DiskCleaner. I don't use it but I'll put it in here :) http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/

MRU Blaster. You know where to find this ;)

I use regseeker for cleaning my registry. http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

I also use easy cleaner for my reg and other stuff. http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    Easy Cleaner is still free new web page.

I could add more to the list but My time don't allow me. :)

25. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

For those who might be interested, here are the first directives of RegScrubXP :) :

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.