Best Cleaner Program?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Straight Shooter, Jan 6, 2003.

?

What do you think is the best cleaner out there?

1. Windows Washer?

21 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Tracks Eraser Pro?

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. IE Clean?

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. IClean (Internet Sweeper)?

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. System Cleaner - Evidence Washer?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. System Mechanic

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Windows Disk Cleanup and/or Freeware (Please Post)

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Other (Please Post)

78 vote(s)
    60.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

As they recommend(see below) always backup your registry before:

Attached Files:

2. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Okay, if you follow the instructions above, you will see those two files in the program folder. (program files..RegScrub...)

See example below:

Attached Files:

3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Here are the program's display options once you've run it.
    (sorry the picture is blurred for I had to resize it)

Attached Files:

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Me either, and it's very, very fast...

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I've tried most of what has been discussed above. Can't beat Windows Washer, in my humble opinion.

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I like and use East-Tec Eraser
    Steve

7. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Hear hear
    The multilayered approach

(leave that to those OZ's ! cheers mate;) )
    grtz
    slammer

8. subratam

subratam Registered Member

I had System Mechanic, which proved real good cleaner. Now I am trying Ace Utilities and its too cool too without any doubt. Comes with many options even verifying start up entries directly from sysinfo.org.

www.acelogix.com

Regards

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Another nice feature with Ace Utilities is that I can have my "junk files" removed to the recycle bin.
    I leave those files in the recycle bin for a few days just too be sure that I didn't permanently remove a file that may needed by some program that I use.

If I'm not mistaken,the updates are internal within Ace Utilities now.
    No more separate download and install.

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Registry First Aid (Rose City software) I consider this to be the best registry cleaner especially when I used it to completely remove NIS plus Incredimail as soon as I found out about the spyware in this mail client :eek:

I also use MRU Blaster and Spybot for secure delete of files and to clean temp files (always unsure what other files are safe to clean :oops: ) I use System Workshop because I have always been issued with an update to my original registration. It allows me to back up the files to my 'dump' drive and then I can delete completely when I am sure :rolleyes:

11. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

EasyClean
    TuneupUtilities 2004
    Eraser
    SpyBot S&D
    AdAware

12. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just been re-considering my options after reading this post and other info on index.dat etc

I tried Tracks Eraser (standard) but had a bit of a problem and have been left with a few 'dummy files' in my TIF folder :( which cannot be deleted but that's another story :rolleyes: After this happened I removed TE and decided to look at Window Washer. I am running the trial version on my laptop and do like the ease of configuring the program. One downfall with TE is the cookie screen it is not big enough to see exaclty and I ended up loosing cookies whereas Window Washer kept the cookies I needed. I do like the GUI but if it does not do a good job then I will have to re-think my options o_O

I have come back to this thread and note Tracks Eraser Pro is mentioned as being very good over the standard I tried.

I would like to decide on a program to help with the index.dat and keep my disc clean. I have nothing whatsoever to hide but realise things can build up and need to be clean thoroughly.

Would I be best to give the Pro version of TE a trial run this time or is Window Washer good at keeping index.dat and surplus files in control?

Thanks in advance for any advice as I am in the selecting stage of a cleaner o_O above those I use already with System Workshop /MRU Blaster/spybot/Ad-aware and Registry First Aid.

13. slip-n-slide

slip-n-slide Guest

System security suite (also known as 3s) Will successfully delete index.dat files as well as your usual history/cookie/cache and more. Best of all it's totally free. But it's only for general cleaning and deleted files still are recoverable by the experts. So if your the paranoid type you may want to forgo it. Otherwise it's a great general cleaner. you can get it here: http://www.igorshpak.net

14. Catwomen

Catwomen Guest

In my view, none-secure deletion of index.dat is a waste of time.

Unlike say history /cookies etc in IE where anyone can easily stumble upon or look for, index.dat is a very geeky, well hidden and largely unknown (to normal people) method of storing data. Anyone who is aware of this, and goes looking for it, will probably know that it is possible to recover normally deleted files (you don't have to be an expert to do it, lots of proggies do it for you automaticall).

15. slip-n-slide

slip-n-slide Guest

Hi Catwomen

That's why i said, " It's only for general cleaning and deleted files still are recoverable by the experts...if your the paranoid type you may want to forgo it." Not everyone requires secure deletion. Some people just want to clean and free up disk space. So if you require more secure deletion you could try Eraser. Another freebie gem. Works on Windows 95-XP. You can get it here: http://www.heidi.ie/eraser Hope this helps.

16. TBD

TBD Registered Member

I like Southbay Softwares "Supercleaner" and have used it for years ... i have tried a multitude of others in that span , but the bottomline is every one i tried i could run Supercleaner right behind it and it would still find stuff the others missed.

It supports IE, Opera, Netscape, and even Mozilla and you can also add your own file types in you want it to scan for.

17. TBD

TBD Registered Member

Supercleaner's website:
    http://www.southbaypc.com/

You can test drive it for 30 or 60 days ... not sure which it's been along time :p

18. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Xen. Yup, I use Xen. Sorry, but I'm not willing to shell out bucks to get stuff off of my HD, unless said stuff is malware. Call me a greedy pig if you like; just remember that that is not the reason for my username... :p

19. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Hmmm...FDISK can do a pretty good job :D and let us not forget Microsoft's great contribution in this field, the DOS RECOVER command! ;)

20. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

A very belated answer :(
    Yes :)

21. musicman

musicman Registered Member

Hey Gang!!!!
    Here is a neat pc of software and its free! Cleans all your internet tracks completely. Its call System Security Suite.The following is a quote from there web site.
    =================================================
    System Security Suite (3S) is the program to remove internet tracks and junk files from your computer. It allows you to delete Cookies, clear Internet Explorer Cache, delete index.dat Files, clear Typed URLs, Windows Temp Folder and much more. You can also specify custom folder locations with file masks, which will be cleaned in addition to the selected items. In addition, the program allows you to view and optionally remove programs that launch automatically at Windows startup as well as Browser Helper Objects.
    Here is the home page for this software.
    http://www.igorshpak.net/

Attached Files:

22. ahha

ahha Guest

MusicMan, No offense but did you read any of this thread or did you just decide to post here out of the blue? (see post by Slip-n-slide above.)

23. kaytee_S

kaytee_S Registered Member

sorry if this is a little off subject,its not a recomendation,i haven't tried it,but you could test hdcleaner @snapfiles

24. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

25. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hmmm.... I see the Cleaner recommendations has risen again.

YEP.....Eraser *Another cleaner in my arsenal, I've had for a while .... and it sure does clean, LOL.... especially those tricky little 'sensitive' files you may want to get rid of.

Cheers, TAS

Let them try and recover after a 35 pass run, LOL... and a Defrag...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.